PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help with aux FX routing

CurtZHP
11-09-2012, 09:51 PM
It's probably because it's late and I'm scatterbrained, and I'm too lazy to RTFM, but here's what I'm having trouble accomplishing.

I have a project where several channels of the mixer have signals routed via Aux 1 to the Aux 1 Master, where the Aux 1 Return has a reverb plugin assigned to it, and the Return fader is used to adjust the level of the reverb. Works great.

But I want to try something a little different. I want the effect return to come up on one of the input channels, so I can EQ and compress the reverb by itself.

How does one accomplish this?

Sean McCoy
11-09-2012, 11:00 PM
It's probably because it's late and I'm scatterbrained, and I'm too lazy to RTFM, but here's what I'm having trouble accomplishing.

I have a project where several channels of the mixer have signals routed via Aux 1 to the Aux 1 Master, where the Aux 1 Return has a reverb plugin assigned to it, and the Return fader is used to adjust the level of the reverb. Works great.

But I want to try something a little different. I want the effect return to come up on one of the input channels, so I can EQ and compress the reverb by itself.

Why not just add EQ and compression plugins to the Aux return channel? Otherwise, you can use the free JMS Buss Extension plugin, as long as you don't need automation of the return level:

http://www.jms-audioware.com/jmsbuss.htm

Bob L
11-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Patch an eq and compression plugin on the return chan... or you can assign the return chan to an output used as a group and use the plugins there... then route the output group back to the master 1 output.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
11-10-2012, 09:08 AM

Sean and Bob have covered it. Only way to do it exactly has you'd like is to use JMS' aux-return plugin. It's free, and in my experience, works very well for such tasks.

CurtZHP
11-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Now, here's another wrinkle. Another thing I'd like to do is record the Aux Return signal to an open track (for archiving and stems purposes).

I figure one way is to just mute all the inputs (leaving their aux sends hot), and do a "build mix to new soundfile," putting the result on an open track.

Any other way to do this?

Grekim
11-11-2012, 06:10 AM
Now, here's another wrinkle. Another thing I'd like to do is record the Aux Return signal to an open track (for archiving and stems purposes).

I figure one way is to just mute all the inputs (leaving their aux sends hot), and do a "build mix to new soundfile," putting the result on an open track.

You'll have to do a digital loop if you can. So set your return channel to an output that is a digital device. Hook up a cable from a digital out to a digital in and record in real time to a new channel.

MikeDee
11-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Since, as Bob said, "...you can assign the return chan to an output used as a group and use the plugins there... then route the output group back to the master 1 output," couldn't you do a BuildMix of only the output used as a group? I would think you can....

Just my 2***162;....... :)

Ian Alexander
11-12-2012, 11:01 AM

You could save a step and choose BuildMix to Hot Track, making sure the highlighted track in the MultiTrack is empty.

Also, in a quick test here it looks like you want to Solo the Return, rather than mute all the Inputs.

And if you type in a track name first, the resulting file and region will have a useful name.

CurtZHP
11-12-2012, 12:40 PM
You could save a step and choose BuildMix to Hot Track, making sure the highlighted track in the MultiTrack is empty.

Forgot all about that feature! Thanks!