PDA

View Full Version : files playing back sharp

Andy Follett
11-22-2012, 09:15 AM
I must be missing something simple here.

Upgraded the computer I take out with me for gigs from a E8500 to an i5. Used same hard drives, RME card, etc. I use it to play backing tracks through SAC link and mix with the live band.

Aside from struggling to get the SATA drives to be seen as SATA drives vs. IDE drives in XP, things went uneventfully. Thought that would have happened easier since they were already working (as SATA drives) in the previous (XP) install.

Somehow I have checked a box or done something causing all the backing tracks to play back a few cents short of 1/2 step sharp. I'm thinking some sort of sample rate/playback snafu but I'm pretty much spent and looking for any direction to go at this point.

I tried reloading a song's worth of tracks from the machine I produced them on. Same result. Still sharp. Original tracks (many) produced at 44.1.

XP explorer shows the track's properties at 44K. SAW and SAC both set to 44.1.

Any ideas on where to start?

Andy Follett
11-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Out of desparation, I rebooted yet another time. I think that made 4.

Problem gone :confused:

Rebooted two more times, problem remains gone :confused::confused:

Still looking for an explaination if anyone has had a similar experience.

Bruce Callaway
11-22-2012, 12:53 PM

I had this once and it was an SRC issue. Is your RME set to internal clocking that is, SAC is the source? Other than that, I'm glad the problem went away for you.

MMP
11-23-2012, 07:31 AM
Almost always a file that was tracked at 44.1k being played back with a clock at 48K.

Bud Johnson
11-25-2012, 04:15 PM

Al-Qeada! The're everywhere I tell ya!:eek:

Andy Follett
12-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Almost always a file that was tracked at 44.1k being played back with a clock at 48K.

That describes it perfectly.

I should probably ad I've been using Reaper/rearoute with SAC/SAW and it happened again last night.

I'm going to have to track it down. Maybe reaper and saw are competing for the audio card sample rate somewhere.

New computer, new headaches.