PDA

View Full Version : CD Tracks

Phil
11-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Greetings, I been tinkering with SAWLite I bought last year (expensive toy). I have read the manual and the forum, but I'm a bit unclear if there is a good workflow to create "CD Tracks" from a mix by marking where each track division would be.

FYI, as a SAC user, getting used to the keyboard shortcuts has been interesting. For example, I got used to using "F" to jump to fader, "D" to jump to dynamics, etc... WELL that does something totally different in SAW. I sure miss having a wide view :(

Thanks in advance to any suggestions.

Bob L
11-29-2012, 02:57 PM
For simple CDs, an easy way to work would be to create each song in its own folder... edit and mix it as a wav file, then use any CD burning program to list the wav files in the CD order and burn.

For more sophisticated CDs with specific timing or overlap between songs, I still recommend creating each song as a separate finished wav file mix, then you can load them onto a blank session timeline and organize as you wish, then use Jon's Cue Sheet Generator plugin (third party links at www.SAWStudio.com (http://www.SAWStudio.com)) to create your track cue markers and burn the final CD image wav file. Then you can use a handful of different CD burning programs that can read these Cue Sheet files and burn the CD.

Also, realize that SAW and SAC are two completely different environments with two completely different purposes in mind... therefore many functions and keystrokes do things specific to those separate purposes. There are hundreds of editing functions in SAW that have no place in SAC and many important functions in SAC that have no real need in SAW, so even though there are recognizable mixer controls in both, they have a different goal in mind.

Bob L

TotalSonic
11-29-2012, 04:00 PM
For creating CD layouts directly in SAWStudio I highly recommend the JMS Audioware Cue Sheet Generator - http://www.jms-audioware.com/csg.htm

Being able to place CD PQ points in the same timeline as you are doing greatly streamlines work flow - and is very much well worth the $50 price tag to me. I have a tutorial on using CSG up on my website at http://www.totalsonic.net/csg.htm

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Richard Rupert
12-03-2012, 08:35 AM
For creating CD layouts directly in SAWStudio I highly recommend the JMS Audioware Cue Sheet Generator - http://www.jms-audioware.com/csg.htm

Being able to place CD PQ points in the same timeline as you are doing greatly streamlines work flow - and is very much well worth the $50 price tag to me. I have a tutorial on using CSG up on my website at http://www.totalsonic.net/csg.htm

Best regards,
Steve Berson
+1 CSG (Cue Sheet Generator) is the "cat's meow". :) Pair it with the free Exact Audio Copy and you've got a powerful combination.

Dave Labrecque
12-04-2012, 08:11 AM
+1 CSG (Cue Sheet Generator) is the "cat's meow". :) Pair it with the free Exact Audio Copy and you've got a powerful combination.

So long as EAC works. ;)

Richard Rupert
12-04-2012, 11:29 AM
So long as EAC works. ;)
Good point. I do believe it has to do with the specific burner rather than the software though... at least, that's been my experience.

Dave Labrecque
12-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Good point. I do believe it has to do with the specific burner rather than the software though... at least, that's been my experience.

That could very well be. I just know sometimes it hasn't worked for me. Never did try to chase it down. :o

UpTilDawn
12-04-2012, 05:53 PM
I sure wish that I could re-establish that seamless integration between CSG and my burning application as I once could. I suddenly lost that ability out of the blue (it seemed) more than two years ago and have never figured out why, or been able to get it back. :(

Dave Labrecque
12-04-2012, 06:20 PM
I sure wish that I could re-establish that seamless integration between CSG and my burning application as I once could. I suddenly lost that ability out of the blue (it seemed) more than two years ago and have never figured out why, or been able to get it back. :(

What are the specifics of the problem?

TotalSonic
12-04-2012, 06:33 PM

What app are you trying to launch? - and are you using the latest version of CSG? I know Nero made some changes on their end after rmaybe version 7.x which broke the CSG call up - so it's possible this happened with some other apps as well. Make sure you are running the latest version of CSG (1.9.1) and you might try reloading the exe file you want to launch by browsing to it - just hit the "Setup" button on CSG and then hit the "Browse" button to find the exe for the app you want to lauch.

Anyway - I'm very pleased that Pieter Stenekes made changes in the latest version of Sonoris DDP Creator so that it will now launch when CSG completes it's build with cue sheet already loaded. Makes for seamless integration for CD-R master disc burning, DDP master creation, tagged mp3/aac/flac creation, or further tweaks to subcodes or indexes with work flow from a SAWStudio session.

It might be pricier than some here would want to buy into - but if you are looking for a truly completely professional CD mastering application to tie in with SAWStudio and the JMS Audioware CSG - then DDP Creator is it - http://www.sonorissoftware.com/catalog/ddp-creator-p-47.html

Best regards,
Steve Berson

UpTilDawn
12-04-2012, 08:56 PM
What app are you trying to launch? - and are you using the latest version of CSG? I know Nero made some changes on their end after rmaybe version 7.x which broke the CSG call up - so it's possible this happened with some other apps as well. Make sure you are running the latest version of CSG (1.9.1) and you might try reloading the exe file you want to launch by browsing to it - just hit the "Setup" button on CSG and then hit the "Browse" button to find the exe for the app you want to lauch.

Anyway - I'm very pleased that Pieter Stenekes made changes in the latest version of Sonoris DDP Creator so that it will now launch when CSG completes it's build with cue sheet already loaded. Makes for seamless integration for CD-R master disc burning, DDP master creation, tagged mp3/aac/flac creation, or further tweaks to subcodes or indexes with work flow from a SAWStudio session.

It might be pricier than some here would want to buy into - but if you are looking for a truly completely professional CD mastering application to tie in with SAWStudio and the JMS Audioware CSG - then DDP Creator is it - http://www.sonorissoftware.com/catalog/ddp-creator-p-47.html

Best regards,
Steve Berson

I believe you've hit every nail on the head with this reply, Steve!

I have been using Nero since at least version 5 and have continued through 7 on the recording tower, mostly because it was already paid for and convenient for some video needs I had from time to time. At any rate, I probably lost the link to CSG with the advent of my Nero 7 install... sound logical, based on what you've said.

If not for the cost factor and the convenience of already having a burning app that worked well with my burners, I might have already switched to another burning app, or possibly even the Sonorus one wne it was released.

I may have to reconsider the DDP route and see if it's within the current budget. I haven't really clicked with EAC in the past, so I don't know that I'd go that route. Free, reliable, easy to set up and use would be a great combination.

I suppose this answers your question to me as well, Dave. :)

Dave Labrecque
12-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Free, reliable, easy to set up and use would be a great combination.

I suppose this answers your question to me as well, Dave. :)

For XP I thought Burrrn was great.

For Win7, you could try ImgBurn. Seems to work well for me, though I haven't tried to enter the EXE in CSG for a true seam-free experience. ;)

TotalSonic
12-05-2012, 10:21 AM
For XP I thought Burrrn was great.

I haven't tried Burrrn in many years but in my tests 5 years ago while beta testing the last version of CSG it didn't burn embedded ISRC's from imported cue sheets. This might not matter for most people but I have to embed these for a lot of orders.

Anyway - I've found the amount of CD-R master discs being ordered is dramatically dropping these days - most clients are either just doing digital only releases (with an increasing number getting vinyl records if they do a physical release - and with a welcome trend of a small but increasing number also putting it out on high resolution FLAC files for download as well) - or are having me send reference files as downloads and masters to the plant as uploaded DDP images.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Phil
12-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

I'm a bit of a hobbiest, I run live sound at my church my goal is to record and mix practice tracks. I figure this is my "instrument" to practice playing with the band.

I shall download the cue sheet gen demo.

TotalSonic
12-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

I'm a bit of a hobbiest, I run live sound at my church my goal is to record and mix practice tracks. I figure this is my "instrument" to practice playing with the band.

I shall download the cue sheet gen demo.

Well - for free the best thing I've found to pair with CSG is Exact Audio Copy - just make sure you after you first install it to run the wizard to set it up to work well with the burner you are using
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Dave Labrecque
12-05-2012, 02:12 PM
I haven't tried Burrrn in many years but in my tests 5 years ago while beta testing the last version of CSG it didn't burn embedded ISRC's from imported cue sheets. This might not matter for most people but I have to embed these for a lot of orders.

Anyway - I've found the amount of CD-R master discs being ordered is dramatically dropping these days - most clients are either just doing digital only releases (with an increasing number getting vinyl records if they do a physical release - and with a welcome trend of a small but increasing number also putting it out on high resolution FLAC files for download as well) - or are having me send reference files as downloads and masters to the plant as uploaded DDP images.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Never messed with ISCR's. I'm sure you're right. Interesting about the vinyl trend. Steve -- didn't you inherit an old lathe some years back? Did you fix it up? Are you doing your own half-speed masters these days, or what? :)

TotalSonic
12-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Never messed with ISCR's. I'm sure you're right. Interesting about the vinyl trend. Steve -- didn't you inherit an old lathe some years back? Did you fix it up? Are you doing your own half-speed masters these days, or what? :)

That Fairchild 523 project got pushed aside for a while - but I have a stereo cutter head on order from a Swiss company that is making a first batch in a new project to create good sounding affordable ones - should be delivered to me in February
http://vinylike.de/index.php/caruso/

http://vinylike.de/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/caruso_zero_nr200.jpg

In the meantime I'm still trying to get things sorted with the motor to get it at acceptable lack of vibration transmission. Hopefully everything will be all together by March 2013.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Dave Labrecque
12-06-2012, 08:20 AM
That Fairchild 523 project got pushed aside for a while - but I have a stereo cutter head on order from a Swiss company that is making a first batch in a new project to create good sounding affordable ones - should be delivered to me in February
http://vinylike.de/index.php/caruso/

http://vinylike.de/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/caruso_zero_nr200.jpg

In the meantime I'm still trying to get things sorted with the motor to get it at acceptable lack of vibration transmission. Hopefully everything will be all together by March 2013.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Very cool, Steve. Weird about the motor vibration. Is that just the nature of that particular beast? Or is something amiss?

TotalSonic
12-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Very cool, Steve. Weird about the motor vibration. Is that just the nature of that particular beast? Or is something amiss?

With lacquer cutting you want to make sure you transmit as close to zero vibration to the platter so that you are not imparting a default rumble or other noise into the master.

The motor in mine is something like 60 years old - plus the way it was designed it doesn't isolate it from the turntable shaft well. In it's current state it's running noisy and needs completely new bearings. Rather than going through the expense and hassle of rebearing it (which still might not get it as good as I want it to) I'm looking for just a brand new replacement that I can situate better so that it will run a lot quieter.

Despite the hassles that come with DAW based recording - I'd say we definitely have things a lot easier when it comes to maintaining your recorder
- and making an exact duplicate!

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Dave Labrecque
12-06-2012, 01:24 PM
With lacquer cutting you want to make sure you transmit as close to zero vibration to the platter so that you are not imparting a default rumble or other noise into the master.

The motor in mine is something like 60 years old - plus the way it was designed it doesn't isolate it from the turntable shaft well. In it's current state it's running noisy and needs completely new bearings. Rather than going through the expense and hassle of rebearing it (which still might not get it as good as I want it to) I'm looking for just a brand new replacement that I can situate better so that it will run a lot quieter.

Despite the hassles that come with DAW based recording - I'd say we definitely have things a lot easier when it comes to maintaining your recorder
- and making an exact duplicate!

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Which is all good and fine, so long as you don't mind listening to stair steps instead of sine waves. I jest. Mostly. ;)