PDA

View Full Version : Need a (quiet) laptop ...

Mitch
03-13-2005, 10:54 AM
...recommendations ?

Primary use will be for overdubs on location at player's homes, studios etc. so I'll need to be able to use open mics with the little beast running. Was looking hard at the Prostar because of Bob's nod, but I understand that they're a bit noisy ?

Thanks!

URL's to specific models, or if you're a retailer, or consultant who puts systems together, would be fantastic !

Naturally Digital
03-13-2005, 12:45 PM
Hi Mitch,

These aren't laptop solutions but they are quiet...

http://www.hushtechnologies.net

http://www.stealthcomputer.com/littlepc_fanless.htm

Bob L
03-13-2005, 12:46 PM
Yes the ProStar's have a lot of fan noise and run pretty hot... not a good choice for close quarter in-room overdubs. :)

Perhaps one of the Sony Vaio models would do... many that I have seen have no fans.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
03-13-2005, 12:49 PM
I hate to say it, but a few of gateway's laptops are very very quiet and well performing. I cant say I like gateway, but I have one of their laptops I got on a whim and it's silent as a fox and a good little workhorse.

Mitch
03-13-2005, 01:33 PM
Now this thing does not need to be dead quiet... I've used my 2480 in the same room with live mics with acceptable results and it's got a fan running constantly ...don't know what the actual db noise level is, but it's been OK...

Any of you guys doing similar, same room recording ? What do you do to minimize laptop / PC noise ?

Are the Prostars really all that loud ? Thanks for the urls and suggestions guys!

Sam C
03-13-2005, 04:32 PM
Hi Mitch. I have a Sony Vaio PCG-K27. I use it for what you are asking. It is remarkably quite and powerful! I am sure there is a new model out by now. Gee's I have had this 8 months now, antiquated I'm sure! I believe it, or a like model, would fit your needs.

A Sony of my ony. Remember that marketing strategy?

Mitch
03-13-2005, 04:44 PM
Hey Sam! How ya been ?

I was looking at the VAIO. I went to RME's tech info section to check on laptop compatibilities with RME cardbus etc.... they did not recommend the Sony at all. In fact, warned to steer clear ???

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/techinfo/hdsp_notetabe.htm

Of course, it appears to be pretty old technote... Surprisingly, they gave the Dell very high marks... and the Toshiba Satellite models.

So you got the Vaio laptop eh Sam ? Shoot me URL if you get a chance. I'll check it out again.

BTW, I'll only be using this for OD's. I'll x-fer a stereo sub-mix to the laptop and head out the door. Seein that I'm not going to be doing alot of heavy tracking, just how much computing power do I really need ? Can I get by with 512mb ram ? Do I REALLY need a 7200 rpm drive since I'll be using a LaCie external for the audio ?

....I'm so confused :eek:

Sam C
03-13-2005, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I saw that on the RME site. Hoping the difference of model numbers would be a factor and already owning the Sony at that point..........As well as my PC being a Sony Vaio too!!!! I hoped I had not jumped the gun. But both the PC and laptop have peformed perfectly with my Fireface 800.

I've been getting by with 512. No, you probably don't need a 7200rpm drive. But, sometimes ya just gotta say, "what the .................!"

AudioAstronomer
03-13-2005, 06:18 PM
I think the toshiba's are extremely highly recommended. But Id never put one in the same room as an open mic haha!