PDA

View Full Version : Output track automation bug or?

sebastiandybing
12-13-2012, 07:42 AM
Hi Bob, when I select output track 1 and 2
and insert a mute automation on both
track and then move the cursor down the timeline
and insert a mute off automation.
If I then mark begin on the first entry and
mark end on the last entry and alt move
the marked area, then the automation at
the mark begin or end loose track on where the
mark end or begin is.

This only happen when selecting mire than one
output track.

Sebastian

Bob L
12-13-2012, 08:53 AM
Not sure exactly what you mean... I did try it here and it seemed to work fine... not sure if I'm doing the exact same thing.

But... to write the automation on both tracks at the same time, you would be selecting both chans on the mixer... but to manipulate both track entries at the same time, you would then need to select both tracks on the MT... doing so seems to work ok.

Bob L

sebastiandybing
12-13-2012, 10:31 AM
I will be more precise,
I am mixing some tracks for a video project
where there are a microport and some audio tracks.
I use output track 2 as a speak group routed to output track1,
And use output track3 as a music group.

In the automation options I have set the mute button
to a 600ms. slope.

I select output track 2 and 3 and place the cursor just before the music
starts and hit mute on the speak group and unmute the
music group, place the cursor at the music end and unmute the speak group and mute the music group.

Now I just mark the mute area by ctrl-shift+tab and hit B, then ctrl-tab and hit E. I then just copy the automarion selection to the next place.
Now I just need to move the end and beginning to match new music area.
The bug is this, when I drag the beginning or end of the marked automation
area then the green mute staves loose the sync with the marked area,
I always make the marked area start and end precise on the automation point,
But when I do the draging while track 2 and 3 are selected, then the automation
points loose sync and jump about 1/4 into the marked area.

Hope it make sense.

Sebastian

MikeDee
12-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Not sure whether the Grid can cause this behavior...might you have it turned on?

Bob L
12-13-2012, 11:54 AM
I think I followed your details closely, but the mutes seem to stay locked to the beg and end points no matter how many times I grab and alter the marked area.

Are you using the latest version 5.1... there was a fix in version 5.0 for an issue like that... if you are on an older version, perhaps that is what's going on.

Bob L

sebastiandybing
12-13-2012, 02:20 PM
I am on 5.1,
Could it be a win8 thing?
This only happen when output tracks are
selected.
I will try on my win xp comp on saturday.

Bob L
12-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Just tried it on Win 8... still working fine... not sure what the difference is that would be causing the trouble on your setup compared to mine.

Bob L

UpTilDawn
12-13-2012, 05:42 PM
I just tried replicating this on an XP computer and 5.1 SAW.
I can duplicate this issue almost every time..... BUT, not every single time.

I've tried many different combinations of creating the marked areas.... B/E keys, marking the area before writing the automation, marking areas between two automation marks already created... I thought I had an absolute figured out, but the problem is intermittent within a single style of moves....

BUT, it only happens when Alt/dragging the left edge of the marked area to the left.... and only if I make this move the first re-positioning of the marked area.

Any other alt/drag in either direction, a drag to the right of the left edge and any drag forward or backward from the right edge leaves both automation marks connected to the edge of the marked area as you would expect.

And most importantly, the only marks that are affected in my tests are the right edge marks.

This occurs on every track type, I/O/R, by the way..... not only output tracks.

Hope this helps narrow down a way to repeat the problem, Bob.

Bob L
12-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Unfortunately... no dice... I can not make it happen so far... it must be connected to some option or setting that is on for you guys but off for me... not sure what that would be... I tried auto zero cross, I tried the grid etc... must be some combination of things that cause the problem.

What happens if you do a fresh install into a test folder and just leave the basic default settings... see if the problem still exists.

Bob L

UpTilDawn
12-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Just tried a fresh install of 5.1 on the same pc, but to the os drive.

The one way I am able to duplicate the problem every time is the following:

1- turn on automation and position the cursor in the mt
2- move to the mixer and press the mute button
3- go back to the mt and position the cursor to the right of the first entry
4- go back to the mixer channel and press mute
5- move back to the mt and Shift/Ctrl/Tab to the first entry and press the B key
6- Ctrl/Tab to the entry on the right and press the E key
7- move the cursor to a position inside the marked area
8- Alt/drag the left edge of the marked area to the left.
9- Watch the right automation mark move slightly inside of the marked area.

As you said before Bob, this is the same sort of issue you fixed a ways back. I thought it was fixed for good, but I guess not. Can't say that I've had any problems with it in all the time since you first fixed it (and I was one of the ones that had big problems with it back then)..... Maybe I just haven't had call to notice that it is still there in this one instance.

Bob L
12-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Why does it work perfectly for me... I followed your steps exactly... the end mute does not move at all... it stays locked to the mark end position.

This kind of stuff can really get frustrating.

Bob L

Bob L
12-13-2012, 07:17 PM
Wait... ok... finally... if I move back and forth rapidly, I finally got the end mute to move inside the marked area... perhaps it has something to do with a rapid mouse release or something that I was not doing in the way I was moving the mouse... I don't know... but at least I saw the issue...

So... let me look into it a little further now and see if I can chase it down as to exactly what causes it and why it appeared fixed since the last time I worked on that piece of code.

Bob L

Bob L
12-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Ok... hopefully this is fixed for good now... works on my systems... but will it work on your systems... I hope to have the update out very soon so you can try it out.

Bob L

sebastiandybing
12-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Thanks, it probably will.

Sebastian