PDA

View Full Version : System Speed Wars - Who wants to Drag Race?

BillyK
03-13-2005, 12:49 PM
Now that I have my new system running to its full capacity I'm ready to challenge all comers! :D Vrrrroooooooommmmm!

Here are my specs:

Motherboard: Intel® Desktop Board D925XECV2
Ram: 2GB DDR2
Video: ATI X600 Pro All-In-Wonder
Hard Drives: Seagate 120gb SATA and Maxtor 300GB SATA
Audio Card: LynxTWO (looking to add on more channels of A to D)

I am using the "Speed Test" found on the main SAWStudio website as the basis for this "challenge". If you don't have the program and want to download it and play along... you can get it from the following webpage (its the last choice): http://www.sawstudio.com/Downloads_Miscellaneous.htm

The way I ran the test is first wrote a file to my data drive. The numbers below labeled "write" are the results from the initial write test. I then used the "read" function of the HD Speed program to go back and read the file I had just written. The numbers below labeled "read" are from that test.

The data below the ------- line should appear the same as mine on your test and are the "default" settings of the program.

Here are my test results: Vrooooooooooooommmmm

Total Bytes = 99614720

Total Time in milliseconds: write test=1568
Total Time in milliseconds: read test=1634

Actual Transfer Rate (kb per sec): write test=63529
Actual Transfer Rate (kb per sec): read test=60963
-----------------------------------------------------
Write/Read Request Size = 128kb
Individual File Size= 99614720
GENERAL TRACK CONFIGURATION TRANSFER RATES
1 Track of 44,100 mono 16 bit 88.20 kBytes/sec
1 Track of 44,100 mono 24 bit 132.30 kBytes/sec
1 Track of 44,100 stereo 16 bit 176.40 kBytes/sec
1 Track of 44,100 stereo 24 bit 264.60 kBytes/sec

Hmmm 47 reads so far... I feel like John Milner in American Graffiti... no one wants to run with me :) LOL

Tim Miskimon
03-14-2005, 08:02 AM
Now that I have my new system running to its full capacity I'm ready to challenge all comers! :D Vrrrroooooooommmmm!

Here are my specs:

Motherboard: Intel® Desktop Board D925XECV2
Ram: 2GB DDR2
Video: ATI X600 Pro All-In-Wonder
Hard Drives: Seagate 120gb SATA and Maxtor 300GB SATA
Audio Card: LynxTWO (looking to add on more channels of A to D)

I am using the "Speed Test" found on the main SAWStudio website as the basis for this "challenge". If you don't have the program and want to download it and play along... you can get it from the following webpage (its the last choice): http://www.sawstudio.com/Downloads_Miscellaneous.htm

The way I ran the test is first wrote a file to my data drive. The numbers below labeled "write" are the results from the initial write test. I then used the "read" function of the HD Speed program to go back and read the file I had just written. The numbers below labeled "read" are from that test.

The data below the ------- line should appear the same as mine on your test and are the "default" settings of the program.

Here are my test results: Vrooooooooooooommmmm

Total Bytes = 99614720

Total Time in milliseconds: write test=1568
Total Time in milliseconds: read test=1634

Actual Transfer Rate (kb per sec): write test=63529
Actual Transfer Rate (kb per sec): read test=60963
-----------------------------------------------------
Write/Read Request Size = 128kb
Individual File Size= 99614720
GENERAL TRACK CONFIGURATION TRANSFER RATES
1 Track of 44,100 mono 16 bit 88.20 kBytes/sec
1 Track of 44,100 mono 24 bit 132.30 kBytes/sec
1 Track of 44,100 stereo 16 bit 176.40 kBytes/sec
1 Track of 44,100 stereo 24 bit 264.60 kBytes/sec

Hmmm 47 reads so far... I feel like John Milner in American Graffiti... no one wants to run with me :) LOL

I judge my system by stability, how much it cost me to build it, and how many years I get out of it before I have to build a new one... ;)

Looks like you've got a nice one there so please report back on it's stability & it's cost - at least for me that's all that matters when it comes to computers since today's top dog will quickly become yesterday's news as early as tomorrow... so have fun while it lasts.... :D
Tim

tomasino
03-14-2005, 09:32 AM
Hey, what about the CPU? Didn't see anything about the CPU.
Dual, single,, what?

I wanna hear some recordings made with that LynxTwo card.

AudioAstronomer
03-14-2005, 11:02 AM
I can get 72 stereo tracks of 48/24... that's all that matters to me.

Jay Q
03-14-2005, 01:14 PM
Now that I have my new system running to its full capacity I'm ready to challenge all comers!Oh, yeah? Well, my dad can beat up your dad! :D

Jay

AudioAstronomer
03-14-2005, 01:22 PM
oh neato... I just tried it on my gateway laptop (my new baby, cause it's so tiny!) and it gives me the go for 72 stereo at 24bit...

Im gonna try it out :) that'd be awesome if a stock laptop could pull that off, neither of my toshiba's can.

snapper
03-14-2005, 03:31 PM
Which Gateway did you get?

Mike.

AudioAstronomer
03-14-2005, 03:56 PM
I forget how to check the model on this thing, it doesnt seem to be written anywhere?

Either way, I got it to playback 70 stereo tracks without any problems. Im pretty sure it could max out. It was really chuggin along by the seat of it's pants. Im impressed nonetheless.

When I do the test, it's random cut and pastes of different audio peices all about. Not bad at all.

BillyK
03-14-2005, 06:57 PM
I hope everyone took my initial posting in the joking manner in which it was intended. I really wasnt trying to come off cocky sounding.. just having fun! :D

When I posted those transfer #'s and the link to Bob's speed test, I figured that would be the easiest way to compare apples to apples... ummm no wait a minute.. wrong platform ;) The number of playback or record tracks can vary based on plug-ins and sample rates and all that stuff.. and since Canipus and some other people mentioned that ASUS mobo as being the "standard" for DAW's these days.. I just really just curious how my system was doing up against the "standard". I would expect that using the "new" SATA drives I should be able to achieve a higher transfer rate.
Carlos Mills mentioned that he thought the transfer rates I was getting were on par with those being achieve by a SCSI drive system. I wonder if any of you are using SCSI drives and what your numbers look like?

Tomasino asked about the CPU... its a P4 3.4 / 800. This mobo is ready for a P4 with 1066 technology if I decide that is worth the investment down the road. As far as the LynxTWO sound... well I can FINALLY finish my wifes project that got stopped more times than the Boston 2 record... my problem was lack of computer horsepower! Hopefully Bob will accept some submissions to the SAWStudio Radio Network in the near future. With the glitch problem getting fixed Saturday we went down to the studio yesterday and spent some time remixing first song of the CD. Of course this new horsepower has caused the whole new desire to apply a bunch more plug-ins that we could have ever imagined before. The song we were working on started at 25% processor load and by the end of the night we had a LOT more plugins assigned and were now at about 60%. (plugins include Aniwanda, Trash, Glaceverb, Ozone, and the SAWStudio series - Levelizer, Freq. Analyzer, Channel EQ on every track (this is a 21 track song right now) Im sure I am missing some stuff... I didnt even need to use the aux sends/returns... had plenty of power to do individual plugins on each track..
I have to say it was ABSOLUTELY thrilling to be able to pretty much do anything I wanted without having buffer overruns. The constant lockups that I had with my old outdated system were maddening... this computer has made SAWStudio a joy to work with!!! I am hoping to add the new LYNX rack mounted 16 channel unit which will work in conjunction with my LynxTWO very soon. I understand Lynx should be shipping the first units out in the next week or two. That should then give me 20 analog I/O's and 9 AES/EBU stereo I/O's. AWESOME!

Some of you may have witnessed the hell I went through trying to get rid of a glitch that happened exactly every 2 minutes. My thread called "Can Hyperthreading cause Glitching" ended up being about a whole lot more that hyperthreading. You guys helped me get through a real trying period... I think one of the biggest lessons I learned is that no matter how new a motherboard is... chances are that the latest software available for it is NOT in the box and you really need to go to the mfg's website and download the latest drivers/BIOS and related software.

Bill

AudioAstronomer
03-14-2005, 09:10 PM
I got the model number 3018gz. Nothing fabulous, but oddly enough the thing works.

Tree Leopard
03-14-2005, 10:40 PM
Bill - yes, that turned out to be a great thread with a lot of useful info!

We were talking about "the cRaZy world of soundcards" a few days ago and Steve mentioned driver latency could be an issue with the Lynx. So I'm curious to see "how low you can go" with your driver config - especially running 16 + tracks in a multi-tracking session.

Are you going to buy the Aurora 16? I'm going to try out the 8 when it gets here in April.

Anyway, a fantastic outcome for you - congratulations! :)

Andre

Tim Miskimon
03-14-2005, 10:46 PM
[QUOTE=BillyK]I hope everyone took my initial posting in the joking manner in which it was intended. I really wasnt trying to come off cocky sounding.. just having fun! :D

Hi Bill,
Yep we are know you were having some fun.... :D
It was a cool post actually because it gives us all a reason to talk about our machines - just like nascar.... ;)
Tim

Mountain Media
03-15-2005, 04:44 AM
We were talking about "the cRaZy world of soundcards" a few days ago and Steve mentioned driver latency could be an issue with the Lynx. So I'm curious to see "how low you can go" with your driver config - especially running 16 + tracks in a multi-tracking session.
AndreAndre, probably doesn't answer your question specifically, but --

I use both a Lynx One and a Lynx Two, however, only for mix-out to monitors/two track output and use an RME for multi-track input. On output, I do run either the One or the Two with buffers at 3/64 for anything with minimum plugs and 16 tracks or less. For > 16 tracks or multi-plugs, when I remember, I take the buffers to 4/128 (or 4/256 depending on plugs). If I don't remember to change buffers, system usually tells me!;) However, I have no glitching with these settings on either card. Both cards are running on 2.6GHz P4's and 1Gb RAMs. I've not updated drivers for either card in several years, so don't know it there are any updated drivers or not. If it ain't broke, I try not to fix it!! :)

tomasino
03-15-2005, 10:54 AM
Hi Bill,
Yep we are know you were having some fun.... :D
It was a cool post actually because it gives us all a reason to talk about our machines - just like nascar.... ;)
Tim
Heck yea, lets race man! :D

Fast DAWs, fast girls and fine Tequila!!! :cool:
My dualey PIII will blow the doors off your single P4 anytime.

K' never mind the race, just post a pic of the bikini clad girly girl sprawled across the hood of your DAW holding a shot glass of El Tesoro Paradiso. :eek: !

Kurt Garehime
03-15-2005, 01:12 PM
Continuing with the NASCAR metaphor, I'm still asking what that carberator-thingy does. ;) I've just purchased a RME card (Digi96/8 PAD) with AEBI-8, and I'm not sure how I max out my DAW's potential with it. As I watch CPU performance within task manager, an Aiso drive config at 6 x 1024 hits 70-75% CPU usage playing just a four track mix with an effect per track and three two effects on the output track :eek:
Dell Optiplex P4 2.4Ghz XP PRO (SP2), 512 RAM, Maxtor 40G drive.

I've applied Bob's XP tweaks, with the exception of the Boot.ini changes.

Most importantly, what computer-generated data should I be looking at (and tweaking) to maximize my card/CPU abilities?
70+ effects-laden tracks?!? What am I not doing here?

Gentlemen, I'd like to 'start my engine'! :o sorry....

BillyK
03-15-2005, 03:30 PM
I decided to do a little playback test:

Tree Leopard (Andre) had asked how low I could go with my settings.
I assigned the ASIO drivers to my LynxTWO and took the settings all the way down to "1" preload buffer with a buffer size of "32". The test song is 19 stereo tracks 44.1/16.

I had 14 plugin effects going including:
Studio Effects: Levelizer (x1), Frequency Analyzer (x1)
Aniwida: Spazio (x3), C Delay (x2), Tremolo (x1), Chorus (x1)
Glaceverb (x2)
Izotope: Trash (x2) Ozone3 (x1)
(They say to not even try Ozone in a multitrack mix because it consumes so much processor power... I was just messing around with it as a plug in on a vocal track - I should try taking it off to see how much load it is causing.)

In addition there is channel strip EQ on most tracks and a few with channel strip compression... I didnt have time to count up those tracks.

At the above 1/32 setting I was running this song at 78% processor power.. tomorrow I will remember to pull Ozone out of the plugin list and see where I am at then.

Oh.. I got some additional information about the soon to be shipping Lynx Aurora. I found out that if the intention is to use an Aurora in conjunction with an existing LynxTWO card as i have the is no sense in getting the 16 channel because there is not sufficient bussing. In my case already owning a LynxTWO I have the option of just adding the Aurora 8 (total 12 I/O's), or the 8 plus another LynxTWO (total 16 I/O's).

Bill

Tree Leopard
03-15-2005, 10:47 PM
At the above 1/32 setting I was running this song at 78% processor power.. tomorrow I will remember to pull Ozone out of the plugin list and see where I am at then.

Oh.. I got some additional information about the soon to be shipping Lynx Aurora. I found out that if the intention is to use an Aurora in conjunction with an existing LynxTWO card as i have the is no sense in getting the 16 channel because there is not sufficient bussing. In my case already owning a LynxTWO I have the option of just adding the Aurora 8 (total 12 I/O's), or the 8 plus another LynxTWO (total 16 I/O's).Mate, talk about s-l-o-w. I'd seriously think about updating a few key components. Or a total system upgrade. Then you could get a G5 with PTHD. Its the industry standard now. Anyway, there's no rush. I'm sure you'll cope in the meantime. :D

OK (seriously) what about other driver sets? Have you tried those yet? Lets see more hot action live from the Billy K Speed Lab! :)

Andre

re: the Aurora - yes, I noticed that too. You need the AES 16 for the Aurora 16. But 8 would be just great. I have a good feeling about this box.

BillyK
03-16-2005, 08:53 AM
Tree Leopard:
What other "driver sets" did you have in mind? My understanding is that the ASIO is the best way for SAWStudio to communicate with the LYNXTwo card. However it does work with the "multimedia" and "Hi performance multimedia" settings also. I quite frankly don't know the difference between all the driver sets and just settled in on the ASIO because I was told it was the best for the card. If there are any other tests you or anyone else wants me to try with this system I will attempt them as time permits.
Bill

Tree Leopard
03-16-2005, 02:12 PM
Tree Leopard:
What other "driver sets" did you have in mind? My understanding is that the ASIO is the best way for SAWStudio to communicate with the LYNXTwo card. However it does work with the "multimedia" and "Hi performance multimedia" settings also.
Hi Bill - I'm curious to see what kind of performance you can extract from the other drivers.

When you get a chance... One test I'd be interested in is 24 tracks of 24 bit / 48 kHz, with just 6 instances of "Ambience" by Magnus - an excellent donationware plug, but v. heavy on CPU. You'll see a dial on the GUI for CPU - wind to to the max!
http://magnus.smartelectronix.com/
This makes the test repeatable (to a degree) on another system.
Try this with all your available driver sets.

For your interest - here is another brilliant freeware tool - its a small stand alone so there is nothing to install. Process Explorer - shows you all system & CPU activity, paging, physical memory etc.
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

They have lots of other diagnostic tools here - a great way to learn about the "guts" of your computer.
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/utilities.shtml

re: ASIO - you might interested in this:
http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/4300/0

Its a post from Steve - he's taken some quotes from Bob about what he really thinks about the ASIO protocol. It made me think twice. I guess another search in the archives is in order...

Great results so far! Would it be rude to ask how many gold shekels you parted with for this quality purchase?