PDA

View Full Version : Sound Capturing?

bertie
06-20-2004, 11:44 AM
hi Bob, :)

we all know that SAWStudio can capture the video from the capture device but can it capture the sound along with video? :)

Bertie, (lifetime SAWStudio user) :)

TotalSonic
06-20-2004, 01:03 PM
I'm curious regarding this as well.

I don't have a video capture device - but the way I've worked previously for scoring film is I have the film editors make me a QuickTime mov file from their Avid or Final Cut Pro session and then used the Video Track viewers extract audio function to rip out the included dialog/foley track and place it into its own track on the Multitrack. Works great for composing the sound tracks with completely frame locked no hassle video/audio.

I've usually had to use QuickTime Pro to convert the mov file (which acts as a container for a variety of codecs) to an avi in order for the Video Viewer to open it - as a lot of codecs used to make mov's aren't always readily available for PC.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Bob L
06-20-2004, 02:26 PM
SAWStudio uses firewire to capture video in the viewer.

FireWire carries the audio along with the video and both capture in perfect sync at the same time. Most Mini-DV camcorders come with built-in firewire ports these days... and are not very expensive.

You can use any $50 type firewire PC card. Some are better than others... I have used the older Pyro Basic FireWire in many machines and I just put a newer Adaptec FireWire card in a new system the other day... tried it... and it seemed to do fine.

In 2000 or XP, you do not need special drivers... in fact, in most cases, I go into Device Manager in XP and change the default Texas Instruments IEEE 1394 driver to the generic OHCI driver.

If you want the freedom of capturing from analog decks, you can buy a small $300 converter box from Pinnacle or Canopus or ADS... etc which give you analog composite or SVideo ins and outs which convert to and from FireWire.

Makes things very easy, compared to only a few years ago.

Once captured as a DV file, you can easily do any type of audio work to video in perfect sync.

If you leave the file in DV format (avi type 1 or 2), you will be able to render the image live back through the firewire or using the overlay capability of the Matrox DVD Max features or most any of the NVidia chipset cards with TV output, back to an external monitor for clients to observe over your shoulder.

The newer ATI cards have a thing called Theatre Mode which renders overlay video full screen to external TV monitors... originally created for DVD playback.

Bob L