PDA

View Full Version : Is Anybody Here Excited About Slate Virtual Bus Compressor?

Adam Christopher
01-25-2013, 09:31 PM
The news has been out for a while but apparently Slate unveiled more details about this compressor at NAMM.

Apparently there are three modes: One is a very transparent compressor modeled off the FG-X compressor section. The second is a hybrid of an SSL-type and Focusrite Red. The third is a hybrid of a Fairchild 670 and Manley Vari Mu.

Any thoughts? I have heard the FG-X compressor is really rad. I really like the Native Instruments Solid Bus because it has an authentic snap to it like a real compressor and doesn't make everything sound rediculously when applying on the 2bus unlike 99.9% of the software compressors out there.

I'm hoping this can be the ticket because again (outside of maybe the NI compressor) I have yet to find a compressor not using Nebula technology that doesn't make everything sound smaller when applying to the 2bus. Maybe outside of Nebula, there is still not a replacement for hardware bus compression.

I have high hopes because imo the Slate Virtual Tape is really something - after checking out all the tape emulations, to me it's the closet to real tape. Although I'm not as impressed with VCC. For console emulation, I much prefer Nebula.