PDA

View Full Version : Expanding my SSL horizons and need your help

Kent F
03-16-2005, 09:59 AM
Using SSL primarily in radio program production. Been excercizing Bob's work since the 90's (Sounds so long ago!) and I could never use anything else for what I do. SSL has streamlined my work incredibly in the realm of editing and finishing. Now I'm looking to use it for the whole deal - recording and all. And am also doing more than radio with it lately. I need to tap into more of SSL's abilities.

The recordings I do are typically remote. Right now I use a dedicated recorder and then burn a cd and bring it into SSL. Till recently, the recorder was fine for more input needs, but now I'm finding that I might need 5 - 8 simultaneous inputs. I would prefer xlr input with pres and good signal level control... and firewire or USB interface. I do not have a card slot on my laptop. I do have a fast and large Lacie external hard drive which has worked excellent with SSL. What are my options for an interface that would be friendly with SSL? There is more hardware coming out all the time that can handle many simultaneous channels recording... but which ones should I be considering? Remember, I want to keep it simple with maximum control on the incoming signals. I'm intrigued with Bob's philosophy of keeping the desk clear of gear. It's a new and learned way of thinking. So please instruct... I'm all ears!

Thanks

Kent

Craig Allen
03-16-2005, 11:29 AM
RME Fireface.

Kent F
03-16-2005, 11:45 AM
Looks great, but needing something less expensive.

Shawn
03-16-2005, 12:23 PM
The Presonus Firepod might do the trick for you, Firewire, with 8 XLR inputs for 600 bucks.

:)

Kent F
03-16-2005, 02:28 PM
Any experience with the Firepod?

Shawn
03-16-2005, 05:32 PM
Unfortunately no, I'm currently using a MOTU 828mkII along with a Behringer ADA-8000 for a total of 10 XLR preamped inputs, plus another 8 analog line inputs in 2 rack spaces, I also have a 6 channel Rolls headphone amp, and a patchbay (to bring the analog line inputs/outputs on the 828 to the front of the rack), so with my laptop and a 4 space rack connected by a single firewire cable, my SAWStudio is pretty portable.

:)