PDA

View Full Version : New DAW/Workstation? HW? OS? Accckk!

Kevin Pierce
03-26-2013, 04:43 AM
Time to buy/build a new computer to replace an ancient Dell running XP.

I'd like to build it around SAWStudio as the main recording/editing software. I'll never be recording more than one track at a time, nor mixing more than a handful. Primary function will be recording audiobooks, so long sessions will be the norm (1+ hour of continuous recording).

I have a DAL CardDeluxe that I'd like to keep using (unless that's problematic). It requires a PCI slot and DAL indicates drivers (legacy) through Windows 7.

Are there minimum requirements (CPU, RAM, HDs) I should be concerned with? Things to avoid? Will Win7 suit my purpose, or should I scrap the CardDeluxe and find something to work with Windows 8?

Is there an accepted list of tweaks for Win7/Win8 as I remember for Win XP?

If this has been asked and answered elsewhere on the forum, please feel free to point me there; any counsel or direction to other resources is appreciated.

Kevin Pierce
kevinpiercepresents.com

Microstudio
03-26-2013, 06:19 AM
Get a Mic mini then you can install Windows on it and you will have both OS that you can use. The Mac Mini is small and makes no noise and cost $599. That's my IMHO.

Angie
03-26-2013, 06:45 AM
Get a Mic mini then you can install Windows on it and you will have both OS that you can use. The Mac Mini is small and makes no noise and cost $599. That's my IMHO.

But where does that leave his CardDeluxe?

What interface are you using with the mini?

tomasino
03-26-2013, 08:15 AM

CardDeluxe! :eek: I had one of those.. once upon a time.

FTMP, I think the CardDeluxe is toast. Especially on a contemporary board with Win7.

Hey I have an RME Pad 96/8 for sale in the SawBay (see how I am :D).
That might be a more suitable for your new system build. Check it out.

Angie
03-26-2013, 08:19 AM
FTMP, I think the CardDeluxe is toast. Especially on a contemporary board with Win7.

Well, as the original poster mentioned, it is Win7 supported. If he can, why wouldn't he use it?

Ian Alexander
03-26-2013, 10:40 AM
If the card still meets your needs, why not? I'm still happy with Win7 and my PCI sound card, a Lynx L22. The system here has an i5 CPU and an ASUS motherboard with a few PCI slots. This is at least the second system I've built around the L22. A quick look at newegg shows lots of boards with PCI slots still available.

There is a list of Win7 tweaks on the SS site.

http://www.sawstudio.com/downloads_misc.htm

You could look at other attributes of the system, like portability. You could also consider how quickly you could get back up and running after a major component failure. In those scenarios, you might want a laptop with a USB interface or a rackmount computer. But if you are happy with your setup and still want PCI and Win7, you'll be set for at least a few years, as long as the CardDeluxe holds up.

I've had no issues with horsepower. Win7 on an i5 with 4GB is so much faster than anything else I've ever had that I never even look at the Load percentages. Mixdowns are still plenty fast enough for me after 2 years with this system.

According to this MS page, Win7 will have mainstream support into early 2015 and extended support into 2020.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/products/lifecycle

Let us know what you decide to do. Good luck.

tomasino
03-27-2013, 07:40 AM
Well, as the original poster mentioned, it is Win7 supported. If he can, why wouldn't he use it?

I'm just trying to sell the RME Pad 96, that's all. :rolleyes:
It's got a GREAT XP driver. So if he stays on XP it'd be better than that CardDeluxe. (BTW, I had the ISA CardD Plus way back when..)

Also IINM, the CardDeluxe was targeted as a high end playback device for gamers.. not so much for recording.
I think he should take this build opportunity to upgrade to a pro level recording interface.

Hey, like my M-Audio FireWire 1814.. also available in the SawBay. See how I am? It just never ends! :D

Ian Alexander
03-27-2013, 08:02 AM
I'm just trying to sell the RME Pad 96, that's all. :rolleyes:
It's got a GREAT XP driver. So if he stays on XP it'd be better than that CardDeluxe. (BTW, I had the ISA CardD Plus way back when..)

Also IINM, the CardDeluxe was targeted as a high end playback device for gamers.. not so much for recording.
I think he should take this build opportunity to upgrade to a pro level recording interface.

Hey, like my M-Audio FireWire 1814.. also available in the SawBay. See how I am? It just never ends! :D
I don't know how the CardDeluxe was marketed, but with balanced analog ins and outs, SRs up to 96k, and 24 bit resolution, there's nothing wrong with using it for pro audio.

http://www.digitalaudio.com/legacy-products/

Microstudio
03-27-2013, 10:53 AM

What interface are you using with the mini?

I use a M-Audio FastTrack Pro, Eleven Rack and a Onyx 1220i

There are tons of Firewire and USB interfaces that work fine with the Mac Mini when running Windows on it.