PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Mixer signal source

SCF Sound Guy
04-07-2013, 09:31 AM
Where do the monitors get the signal from?
Can someone explain how this works for me?

Mattseymour
04-07-2013, 09:45 AM
Monitor mixer channels are relative to the foh mixer and can be tapped at input, post attenuator, post dyn, post eq, post fade

Monitor mixers 2-24 can tap monitor mixer 1 rather than foh.

You need to set this up, monitor mixer channels are not automatically assigned inputs.

SCF Sound Guy
04-07-2013, 10:05 AM
Is post dyn also post eq?
what about FOH channel plug ins. Do they affect the signal to monitor?

Trackzilla
04-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Default signal routing is: attenuator>EQ>Dyn>PreFX>Fader>PostFX.

EQ/Dyn and PreFX positions can be changed on a per channel basis at the drop down menu in the top.

You cannot place PreFX between the EQ and the Dyn.

There is no global switch to reroute all channels in one step.

These are labeled as changes at FOH mixer, I never checked to see if they are global changes across the other mixers for that channel but I assume they are not.

Remember that with the ability to also patch any other EQ or Dyn module into the PreFX and/or Post FX chain, any other combination can also be created, so those above limitations aren't really preventing almost any processing scenario.

airickess
04-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Is post dyn also post eq?
what about FOH channel plug ins. Do they affect the signal to monitor?
If you are using the Monitor Mixers in SAC to send signal to your stage monitors, then the answer to your question is - it depends on where your tap points are set for the channels.
I believe that by default the Monitor Mixers are not tapped at all and you must choose, on a per channel basis, how the channels tap the signal from the FOH mixer. So it is easy to choose a source pre effects and not have a FOH plug-in effect the monitor signal at all.
Was there an issue today that you had while using SAC?

Mattseymour
04-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Being able to tap monitors 2-24 from monitor 1 is useful if you have processing you want to apply to all monitors but not to foh. Apply it on mon1 and tap everything else from that, which saves duplication of processing. Of course if you have one particular monitor mix that doesn't want the processing, just tap that from foh.

RBIngraham
04-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Go here:

http://www.rbicompaudio.20m.com/SAC.html

Second link down is a signal flow diagram. Study it... all will be revealed... :)

SCF Sound Guy
04-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Thanks to all.

I had mixer 03 and 04 channels tapped post dynamics so we could set processing from FOH.
Mixer 03 and 04 are feeding floor monitors.

One of my volunteers boosted 4K & 10K in FOH for one of the mics.
Well that also boosted it in the monitors.
Feedback!

I think I will use mixer 01 as a monitor master.