PDA

View Full Version : One region not crossfading

Tukarstudio
04-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Hello All,
I have one region that was imported from a converted MP3 that will not crossfade with another region. I've looked at the header info as suggested in another thread but everything seems OK there? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ian Alexander
04-16-2013, 09:43 AM
The only time I can recall a similar issue was when the crossfade went beyond the end (or beginning) of the file for one of the regions involved. IOW, the region ended closer to the end of the file than the crossfade did.

Tukarstudio
04-16-2013, 10:12 AM
Hey Ian, So how do I fix that. I'm not sure I understand what you mean. some more information, I can't apply a softedge to the region and the region won't even crossfade with a copy of itself.
Thanks

RBIngraham
04-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Ken,

What you need to do in SAW (unlike most DAWS) is to trim back the start and end of each clip (or region to use the SAW terminology) enough that you have extra material no longer show in the waveform display.

So for example lets say I have two 20 second audio regions I want to crossfade over 2 seconds and the regions have no audio data that is trimmed from the start or end of them. They are just 20 audio files.

In order to perform that 2 second crossfade I would trim 2 seconds off the end of the first region and 2 seconds off the start of the 2nd region.

Now but the two regions up against each other on the timeline. Now set the softedge on the 1st region's ending to 2 seconds and the same for the 2nd regions's beginning softedge.

Although it doesn't really look like it on the timeline display in SAW, what will be happening is that SAW will perform that 2 second crossfade between the two audio clips.

Hope that helps. And yeah... it took me quite some time to figure out the logic of this method of working as well... so you're not alone. :)

Bob L
04-16-2013, 01:36 PM
The softedge concept in SS allows the playback of region bounderies to be extended past the end and beginning of the actual region boundaries. This design is done to allow for editing purposes where you can create a perfect splice between two regions and then softedge them (like a crossfade) to smooth out any edit glitches. The splice is much easier to setup in this manner than attempting the same thing on other DAWS where the crossfade starts at the beginning of the region boundary and overlays into the region.

This works very well for vocal editing to eliminate breath inconsistencies. And yes... this is unique to SS as far as I know. :)

Bob L