PDA

View Full Version : Using SAW (Possibly With SAC) as Show Control / Track Playback

Moderato Maestoso
04-24-2013, 12:26 AM
Hi guys,

I am developing a new large-ish scale live charity show that will be almost completely run on show control.

SAWStudio is one of the programs I am looking at to be the timecode master, track playback, and show control system, being used for multitrack click track playback, and control of the lighting desk (through timecode syncing - the desk will run its own cue stack), and media servers (4 servers, each running Resolume Arena, controlled by MIDI).

One of the questions I have is: can SAW stop playback at various points in the timeline and immediately cue up to the next marker and wait for the manual 'go'? There isn't just one click track for each act - it's split into various sections and I need stop/go control for each of those...

Also, I will be wanting to adjust the routing/dynamics/level/panning of various tracks in the multitrack (without burning them into the tracks permanently), and send them to different outputs at different times. Is this where SAC comes in? Do I set up scenes in SAC and trigger them from control track events in SAW?

One other thing - I will be controlling all this from another computer running Show Cue System via MIDI over Ethernet, so can I cue events on the control track within SAW externally?

Many thanks,

Martin

Bob L
04-24-2013, 01:29 AM
Yes to all questions.

Download the demo and explore the Control Track and Show Control options.

Bob L

sebastiandybing
04-26-2013, 01:36 AM
I have used saw for that, sending smpte time code to a grandma light desk,
eventhough saw generate smpte, I chooce to render Saws smpte
to a soundfile, I think its nice to visually see when I am sending and when
I am not.
The show control window is basically a edl/session controller where
you simply insert each song/part of the show. you can then set different
play behaviors for each que, like "wait", preload, continue, and so on.
We use a X-key with a big knob as go button.
The smart thing about Bobs design is that you will always work
in the loaded que, eg. if you work in part8 and do some routing, level
compression you will do these edits in part8 only, you dont destroy other parts.

I dont think you need Sac for this unless you will mix the hole show in sac and
use saw for show control.

Sebastian

Moderato Maestoso
04-30-2013, 02:05 AM
Thanks Bob and Sebastian.

I'm unfortunately in hospital at the moment, so I can't download the demo right now...

Looking through th manul, it seems that when the next cue is preloaded and ready to go, a window pops up saying its ready and press any key to continue. Is there a way of making sure this doesn't happen, because I would like to trigger each 'continue' from another system via MIDI. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Martin

Bob L
04-30-2013, 10:18 AM
You can use the Wait option which does not popup a window.

Bob L