PDA

View Full Version : New 33609 Libraries for Nebula

Adam Christopher
04-30-2013, 07:34 AM
Might only interest a few users (I'm looking at you Himhui :)) here but Cupwise is releasing new 33609 compressors programs. He's working with the attack/release to match the original as close as possible as this has been the biggest issue for Nebula compressors since its inception.

Personally, I love Nebula and the 33609 sound. The nice thing is that even if you don't want to use this compressor section, you can use the no comp section and you can get the beautiful coloring and depth added to your signal from a Neve 33609. Very excited for this.

For any other Nebula user, which version are you using? Gemini will also be coming out with an API 2500.

I wish I could use more instances of Nebula in Saw. Nebula seems to really like hosts that allow full benefit of multicore processing but I guess if you look at this way, you can only use so many instances of the real hardware anyways.

Glad to see there are some Nebula users here. When it comes to sound it doesn't get any better than Saw + Nebula.

Himhui
05-01-2013, 08:32 AM
Hi Adam, I also saw it on acustica audio forum. It looks cool to have 33609 nebulized and I like the sound of 33609 as well. I think I will buy it once it releases!

Adam Christopher
05-01-2013, 06:02 PM
Hi Adam, I also saw it on acustica audio forum. It looks cool to have 33609 nebulized and I like the sound of 33609 as well. I think I will buy it once it releases!

Awesome, Himhui. Yeah Cupwise worked extra hard to get the attack and release as close as possible to the real unit. The color is definitely there and the demo is impressive.

Really excited that he made the investment to create this programs and will also be getting both of the sets.

Angie
05-02-2013, 07:10 AM
I downloaded the free version of the reverb to try out along with the AcquaVox. How do you get this to work in SAWStudio? The plugins open, but I'm supposed to be able to see load buttons aren't I?

Himhui
05-02-2013, 08:40 AM
I downloaded the free version of the reverb to try out along with the AcquaVox. How do you get this to work in SAWStudio? The plugins open, but I'm supposed to be able to see load buttons aren't I?

Use the mouse to point at the "Init" and left click it, you'll see the drop down menu....

Adam Christopher
05-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Hi Angie,

I think even with the free version you need to send an e-mail to the developer and then they send you a free license. I don't remember the process exactly. Also with the installer, I made sure to let everything install to its default folder. The only thing I do after is copy the .dll file into the Sawstudio plugins folder but it should create a nebulatemprepository folder where everything is kept. I don't move that at all.

Regarding the Aquavox, I'm not sure what to say regarding that.

The installation process I remember was a pain and that's all I remember. But here's a few things to know.

Pros: the sound quality of the commercial libraries are very close to real hardware. They impart all the grit, depth, smoothness, and bigness of analog hardware while most algorithmic attempts at the same models come up way short. They don't have the rich harmonics and dynamic character that Nebula has. Nebula uses a kernel based system that is very dynamic and the response is a huge step above both dynamic convolution and static impulse responses.

Cons: the cpu usage is enormous and latency can be an issue so Nebula is not for tracking really but more for mix processing. You will likely find yourself rendering lots of files if you use lots of instances of Nebula like I do.

The compressor programs really excel at giving you the vibe and color but the actual behavior in Nebula compressors often aren't quite right. Nebula doesn't do well with fast attacks (you might not get the same snap as a real hardware compressor) or heavy compressor (can't push it as far a real compressor) but the color and vibe are there. What you can do is use the compressor programs for their color and use the onboard Saw compressors for actual compression.

Recommendations: If you really want to get a sense of how good they are I recommend buying Nebula 2. At the time of purchase it was something like $40 usd. And then buy a few of the inexpensive commercial libraries. I wish I could say that the free version of Nebula was a good representation of what Nebula does but it is not in my opinion. For using third party (commercial libraries) you need a full version and I recommend Nebula 2. If you are looking to use Nebula for actual compression then go for Nebula 3 Pro, which is a good bit more expensive. Nebula 3 regular version is a waste. It has slightly better code (more cpu efficent) and better looking GUI but there's no crucial difference aside from that. So I say either get Nebula 2 or Nebula 3 Pro.

Are there any specific libraries that you want to check out? If you do in fact like Neve compressors, you can actual get a free Neve 1073 preamp library signal from Gemini. The free version is a sample but it is excellent. The full version is something like 10 euro so still inexpensive. That's the one I recommend to get for a Neve type sound.

Oh, and not to confuse you even more, but if you really want to sample Nebula's quality, I recommend you get cdsoundmaster's free libraries. He actually ported over a bunch of his programs to a native vst format and has limited free versions of them including a Neve 1084 preamp, Millennia NSEQ-2, and a tape saturation plugin.

http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/cds-software-online/demos.html

In order to use the controls, you might need to e-mail the developer, Michael Angel. He is a very nice guy. I'm not sure if you need a license to use the free version. But imo it is worth it to see the real quality of Nebula and you will be working in a vst format, not the sampler itself.

Installation is simple. Download and run the installer to the default location and then copy literally everything into the vst plugins folder. Just make sure that the .dll file is not inside the folder and everything else is inside of the vst plugins folder as well.

That's the best recommendation I have and if you get stuck, Michael will help you.

If you look his plugins, you can purchase some of them as vsts and never have to deal with Nebula if you don't like them.

Good luck. Hope that helps. Please keep us posted :)

Angie
05-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Thanks guys. It just isn't clear what needs to happen, but it does look like it needs to be authorized. Problem is I can't find the file I'm supposed to submit. I'll contact him when I have time.

The AcquaVox seems to work on install.

Adam Christopher
05-05-2013, 10:14 AM
Cupwise's new 33609 is officially available!