PDA

View Full Version : Exponential Audio Phoenix Not Working In Saw

Adam Christopher
05-13-2013, 07:36 PM
Hi all,

Maybe a longshot but has anybody ever tried Exponential Audio Phoenix in saw? It is a reverb plugin that requires ILok. It is by far my favorite in the box reverb that I've ever had the pleasure using. But unfortunately, it will not load in Saw. It seems to work in every other host I've tried but when I try to load it in Saw, I get an instant crash. Any thoughts?

Michael Carnes seems to be a splendid independent developer. Really nice guy. He is the genius who did the original code behind the Lexicon PCM reverbs after Lexicon came out wtih the PCM 42 delay and now develops on his own.

I'm crossing my fingers that maybe someone here has got that reverb to work. But at least I know he's a nice guy and hopefully willing to make his work accessible to all DAWs. It is a shame that the Slate guys seem to have given up on troubleshooting for Saw but I would hope Michael will be willing to test.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Thank you in advance.

Adam

Ian Alexander
05-13-2013, 08:47 PM
Wild guess. Many other DAWs have a live engine all the time. Try Live Mode?

Adam Christopher
05-13-2013, 09:19 PM
Wild guess. Many other DAWs have a live engine all the time. Try Live Mode?

You may be right Ian. I'm not exactly sure how to setup Live mode but when I do setup for recording I can actually load the plugin now. But I don't understand why it has to crash otherwise. It looks like this will be a problem going forward.

This will mean I'll need to be in live mode all the time to use this plugin apparently?

Plus why would this plugin only work in Live Mode? it's a reverb plugin

Bob L
05-13-2013, 10:39 PM
Many plugins are expecting the engine to be live all the time... why... don't ask me... and why should it crash if the engine is not... you will have to talk to the developers. :)

Bob L

RobertV
05-14-2013, 06:21 AM
Hi;
I had a similar issue, and found that starting Sawstudio and loading a small file first (edl) with a couple of seconds of silence, prior to the file that had the offending VST Plug-in fixed the issue.
Don't know why, maybe Bob can explain!
I've now got the desktop icon that starts Sawstudio loading that small file as part of the start up, and don't even think about it any more.

Easy to try, who knows
Cheers..
Robert V.

Adam Christopher
05-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Hi;
I had a similar issue, and found that starting Sawstudio and loading a small file first (edl) with a couple of seconds of silence, prior to the file that had the offending VST Plug-in fixed the issue.
Don't know why, maybe Bob can explain!
I've now got the desktop icon that starts Sawstudio loading that small file as part of the start up, and don't even think about it any more.

Easy to try, who knows
Cheers..
Robert V.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm glad that workaround works in your case. But in mine it just plain crashes Saw. So no luck yet here. I'm not even sure how the whole Live Mode works and how to set up even after looking at the manual. I'm guessing Live Mode is probably too cpu-intensive for mixing.

Is this just simply having an input record ready? When that is the case, I can load the plugin. But otherwise it will crash Saw immediately.

UpTilDawn
05-14-2013, 07:53 PM
Basically, you can enter live mode by simply pressing the L key on your keyboard.
You can also engage it from the bottom Mixer Menu item. Also, check out the Solo Mode setting in the same Mixer Menu. You will want to set a particular solo mode for monitoring purposes, although it's been so long since I've tinkered with Live Mode in SAW that I really couldn't tell you how to set it up anymore... I'm hooked on SAC as my system front end when recording in SAW now. :)

Adam Christopher
05-14-2013, 10:25 PM
Basically, you can enter live mode by simply pressing the L key on your keyboard.
You can also engage it from the bottom Mixer Menu item. Also, check out the Solo Mode setting in the same Mixer Menu. You will want to set a particular solo mode for monitoring purposes, although it's been so long since I've tinkered with Live Mode in SAW that I really couldn't tell you how to set it up anymore... I'm hooked on SAC as my system front end when recording in SAW now. :)

Thanks UpTilDawn. Really appreciate it. I guess i tried that earlier with the L button and it did something but it keeps telling me that there is no input so I got confused.

UpTilDawn
05-15-2013, 07:01 AM
Thanks UpTilDawn. Really appreciate it. I guess i tried that earlier with the L button and it did something but it keeps telling me that there is no input so I got confused.

Oh, sorry..... like I said, I don't remember most of this.
So, I just checked out a few things.

Go to your channel strip Input Source selection menu and choose something other than "Multitrk" and you will then have Live inputs assigned. That may be terribly over simplified.

Also, it came to mind that you'll want to check your Options/Audio-Monitor Switching Protocal selections as well.

Bob L
05-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Once a vst synth type plugin is patched, you can simply toggle live mode by right-clicking the blue pyramid icon at the plugin window top... it becomes the live input needed... or... just set the last input track to an input device and you will always have a live input... you can then engage Live Mode by using the L key or right-clicking the play button...

Live mode simply engages the engine and starts audio processing for live input tracks... without the need to start Multitrack playback....

Most DAWS are always running the engine in the background... SAW does not for many performance reasons... and it also allows multiple audio programs to run simultaneously on the desktop because it disengages all hooks to the audio driver when sitting idle, freeing up the driver for other programs to use without having to close the program.

Bob L

UpTilDawn
05-15-2013, 03:46 PM
...SAW... allows multiple audio programs to run simultaneously on the desktop because it disengages all hooks to the audio driver when sitting idle, freeing up the driver for other programs to use without having to close the program.

Bob L

And I am really happy that it works this way! :)

Angie
05-15-2013, 05:52 PM
And I am really happy that it works this way! :)

Me too!!

Adam Christopher
05-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Once a vst synth type plugin is patched, you can simply toggle live mode by right-clicking the blue pyramid icon at the plugin window top... it becomes the live input needed... or... just set the last input track to an input device and you will always have a live input... you can then engage Live Mode by using the L key or right-clicking the play button...

Live mode simply engages the engine and starts audio processing for live input tracks... without the need to start Multitrack playback....

Most DAWS are always running the engine in the background... SAW does not for many performance reasons... and it also allows multiple audio programs to run simultaneously on the desktop because it disengages all hooks to the audio driver when sitting idle, freeing up the driver for other programs to use without having to close the program.

Bob L

Thanks Bob. When I do that though every time I get No Live Inputs Assigned Message. Perhaps I'm not clear on how I am supposed to set up live inputs so I can have things running in the background all the time to get this plugin to work.

Currently, the only way I can get this workaround to work is if I arm a recording track in the record ready position.

Bob L
05-16-2013, 09:32 AM
If the plugin registers as a vst synth, it will create itself as a live input automatically when patched to a PRE patch point.

If not... then as I said... assign the last input track from MultiTrack input source to a device input source and you now have a live input.

You can then toggle Live mode anytime you want.

Bob L