PDA

View Full Version : Windows to go

Mattseymour
05-27-2013, 03:03 AM
Forgive me if someone else has already posted about this, thought I'd share some early experiences with windows to go.

It's a function built in to windows 8 enterprise that allows you to create a bootable installation of windows on a USB drive. So at last windows has caught up with pretty much every other os out there.

If you don't have windows 8 enterprise, there are some tutorials around for creating a bootable install from other windows 8 editions. It isn't difficult.

I've used this because I have a general purpose laptop that I also want to use for sac and before messing about with dual booting gave this a try.

I've created a windows 8 pro install on a fast usb3 stick (not fast enough though) which I've then optimised for sac.

I've used a super talent usb3 stick which is pretty fast, but booting takes too long for a quick recovery should a reboot be needed. I'm going to try with an external HD and ultimately an ssd in a USB 3 enclosure should give great performance.

So far this works well. The initial hardware setup when first booted took a long time but I suspect that mostly due to the USB stick performance. I've yet to try moving it to different hardware to see what happens, but this is supposed to work fine.

So make a build that has all the necessary audio drivers available and you can have your sac system on a stick either as the main boot device or a backup. Very useful.

RBIngraham
05-28-2013, 02:24 AM
Very interesting.

Thanks for sharing.