PDA

View Full Version : TCP/IP Host Mode randomely drops out

jlklein
06-16-2013, 08:57 AM
Hey folks,
Over the last few weeks our host PC at church has been dropping out of host/master mode for no reason. Been working fine for the last 6 months, with the occasional disconnect on the remote side, but this is now the host that is doing it. The last couple times it happened I just re-enabled host mode, but this morning I'm sitting here with no TXP/IP host connection and no remote connections. I tried resetting the host mode but it doesn't respond, no check mark, and no error messages.

Host is an Win7 Optiplex 990, remotes are a hard wired Win7 Optiplex 360 and a wireless WinXP Motion Computing M1400.

Thanks,
Jeff

TomyN
06-16-2013, 10:07 AM
I see that behavior when my S-16 remote plug-in is working when I disconnect all clients.
I solved it by running a client (without any user rights, but connected) on the host.

Tomy

glass50
06-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Happened to me once. Outdoor gig in Dallas with remote about 75' out front. Host router was partial hidden by set of three front fill speakers. Started with occasional remote drop out taking reconnect. Then when last band added several wireless mics (not sure what bands) lost control at host. Audio continued with last settings so we did not reboot. When show ended, reboot brought things back to normal. Never figured exactly what went wrong. There was facility measuring mic in front of the remote also. My guess is the TCPIP communication just got balled up with too much interference.

TomyN
06-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Hi,

I assume that something kills/freezes (parts of) winsocks.

Changing the port and then restarting the hostmode solves the problem sometimes.

Tomy

jlklein
06-16-2013, 10:40 AM
I shut down and re-started SAC (just the program) after the service was over and everything came back up fine. I've had the remotes disconnect for various reasons, but not the host (until recently). The wireless remotes are distance affected, sure, but the wired remote also disconnects occasionally. That might be because that one is dual homed (two NICs), where one is wired to the isolated SAC network (no gateway entered) and the other is on the church network with Internet access. Usually a reconnect works, occasionally I have to restart SAC Remote.

The host doing it is new, though. I'll have to try changing the port and reconnecting, hadn't thought of that. Do I just change the port and re-start the host mode or do I have to do something to the remotes as well (i.e. disconnect and connect)? Does it matter which port I use?

Just weird that nothing has changed in our setup...

Thanks,
Jeff

TomyN
06-16-2013, 10:41 AM
You'll need to change the port on the remotes as well.

Tomy

dbarrow
06-16-2013, 11:32 AM
I see that behavior when my S-16 remote plug-in is working when I disconnect all clients.
I solved it by running a client (without any user rights, but connected) on the host.

Tomy
Tell me about how the S-16 plugin works. I haven't heard of that. How do you connect s-16 units to the computer?

TomyN
06-16-2013, 01:04 PM
Hi,

the plugin controlls the gain + phantom of the S-16 via midi. I use ADAT out to motu 2408-II to get the input signals from the S-16 but do not use the outputs of the S-16.

Tomy

CharlieCo
06-17-2013, 03:44 AM
Hi,

I assume that something kills/freezes (parts of) winsocks.

Changing the port and then restarting the hostmode solves the problem sometimes.

Tomy

TRUE, and beware many VSTs, just to be present in SAC plugin directory (and initialising) can corrupt regular TCPIP flow, like restarting remote sessions.

eg. recent meldaproductions free VSTs.

Maybe a problem of SAC due to VST remote control ? Quien sabe ?

TomyN
06-17-2013, 04:55 AM
Hi,

found this one on the net. Not sure if it helps, but I think it's worth a try:

http://www.compuchenna.com/winsock-error/

Tomy

brettbrandon
06-17-2013, 06:41 AM
I don't know if this is related and I haven't fully figured it out myself.
I am finding that sometimes when a remote disconnects, it takes the host out of master mode and all remotes are lost. The host will not go back into master mode until SAC is shut down and restarted. I can only get this to happen so far with version 3.0. So far I have not been able to recreate this in version 2.9. It happened on a system I sub in on but I was able to recreate it on my system here as well. My only suggestion would be to roll back to 2.9.

Brett

jlklein
06-17-2013, 07:13 AM
I don't know if this is related and I haven't fully figured it out myself.
I am finding that sometimes when a remote disconnects, it takes the host out of master mode and all remotes are lost. The host will not go back into master mode until SAC is shut down and restarted. I can only get this to happen so far with version 3.0. So far I have not been able to recreate this in version 2.9. It happened on a system I sub in on but I was able to recreate it on my system here as well. My only suggestion would be to roll back to 2.9.

Brett

Heheh, actually, I'm still on 2.9 (just lazy) and was hoping 3.0 would fix it. That sounds very similar to my symptoms, though, as we have the wired remote kick off at least once a service. Haven't found the cause for that but I'm betting swapping out the old Linksys WRK54G router we're using now with the newer WRT150N we go will help with the disconnects. The WRK was my old home router that I upgraded due to too many dropped wireless connections, so maybe the wired ones are going now, too, and taking the host with it as you've seen.

Thanks,
Jeff

brettbrandon
06-17-2013, 07:21 AM
I wouldn't say lazy, 3.0 was just bug fixs so if you weren't having problems, why switch. No wired remotes on the live setup or the setup here and it has happened with their wireless network as well as mine.... I wish I could get this figured out. Only happens now and then......

Brett