PDA

View Full Version : System Backup Options

erlohr
06-17-2013, 08:11 AM
I've been using my current SAC system going on two years now without a hitch. I know that the life span of a typical hard drive is about 2-4 years, maybe a little more, under normal conditions (i.e. a pc sitting on a desk). I am looking for a backup option that would let me get the system up and running in the event the primary hard drive fails. I'm considering the option of booting from an external USB drive and was wondering if anyone has had success doing this.

soundchicken
06-17-2013, 08:26 AM
I do a weekly BU of show files to a usb (two in fact swapped out every other week), use a SATA Internal Hot Swap Rack (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817990011) and carry around a spare HD that is an exact image of the used one.

erlohr
06-17-2013, 08:37 AM
I do a weekly BU of show files to a usb (two in fact swapped out every other week), use a SATA Internal Hot Swap Rack (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817990011) and carry around a spare HD that is an exact image of the used one.

What do you use to make the image?

jlklein
06-17-2013, 08:40 AM

Interesting drive bay...my first thought is, has anyone tried setting up RAID 1 on a pair of installed disks for SAC backup redundancy? One fails, the other keeps running...

Jeff

erlohr
06-17-2013, 08:49 AM
My thought here is that I'd like to have the backup drive removable so that its not getting banged around in the rack. Load-in and load-out can be pretty hard on the gear and I'm sure its even harder on a hard drive.

jlklein
06-17-2013, 09:00 AM
My thought here is that I'd like to have the backup drive removable so that its not getting banged around in the rack. Load-in and load-out can be pretty hard on the gear and I'm sure its even harder on a hard drive.

With the drive bay, you could have both drives removed and just insert prior to powering up. My RAID thought was more for *during* a performance...you wouldn't even have to worry about swapping over and restarting as the purpose of RAID is continuity of operations in the event of a drive failure. Or, you could get SSDs and just leave them in, much less shock susceptible.

Just some thoughts :)

Jeff

Butch Bos
06-17-2013, 09:29 AM
Just my way:)
I installed everything on a 1tb spinner AND on a SSD then have the SSD as boot drive and spinner as recording drive
If I ever have a problem with the SSD I can just swap SATA cables and be going again

The 2-4 year life is running 8 to 12 hours a day most of us maybe 8 to 12 hours a week so they should last a long time
Now that I said that mine will probably die next time I boot:eek:

Butch

Johnny Dee
06-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Interesting drive bay...my first thought is, has anyone tried setting up RAID 1 on a pair of installed disks for SAC backup redundancy? One fails, the other keeps running...

Yes...our system is a RAID setup.

In addition, we load our show on a usb flash drive and have a second duplicate system with us (it is not set up for RAID, however).

We also use "Ghost" for our primary system.

soundchicken
06-17-2013, 05:53 PM
What do you use to make the image?

Clonezilla, I have 3 of the same 2.5in HDs. One in, one in a pelican case, one sitting at home on the desk waiting to either be recloned or cloned over if I am adding something vital back in to my system.

mr_es335
06-17-2013, 11:31 PM
Hello,

I use Acronis...it is the most reliable...in my opinion.

tthorsten
06-18-2013, 05:41 AM
just use this

HDCLONE
http://www.miray.de/products/sat.hdclone.html

keithsplace
06-18-2013, 07:39 AM
I like http://www.easeus.com/backup/

I use it do do a lot of things, but mostly for cloning.
Easiest one I have found.
Recovery is not to bad either.. used it a few times on client mashines.
Recovered a lot more things than I would have ever thought, with drives that would not boot no matter what I tried, even unreadable as slaves in other machines.

RandyHyde
06-19-2013, 10:32 AM
I've been using my current SAC system going on two years now without a hitch. I know that the life span of a typical hard drive is about 2-4 years, maybe a little more, under normal conditions (i.e. a pc sitting on a desk). I am looking for a backup option that would let me get the system up and running in the event the primary hard drive fails. I'm considering the option of booting from an external USB drive and was wondering if anyone has had success doing this.

Unless you're using the SAWStudioLink, I'd strongly recommend moving to SSDs. Far more reliable in the long run (especially in the rough environment of the non-installed SAC world).

RAID 1 would be a good idea too, if you're really paranoid.
As for drive backups, Norton Ghost is probably the most popular solution for a "swap this drive out" backup.
cheers,
Randy Hyde