PDA

View Full Version : Is Possible To Set Up Saw To Open In Live Mode Every Time It Is Launched By Default?

Adam Christopher
06-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Hi There,

Not a lot to say. The title says it all. A lot of plugins I just started using now only work in live mode. The thing is that once I close the session. It doesn't open in live mode so the whole session crashes and cannot be opened again. Kind of frustrating. Is there any way to open in live mode by default so that I can open these sessions? If so, how do you go about doing it. Thanks in advance!

AC

Bob L
06-22-2013, 06:38 PM
Not at this time... SAW and SAC have always opened with the engine off for many performance and operational reasons.

This plugin behaviour requiring a live engine or crash, is a recently new behaviour pattern... and one I am not excited about... but I may have to create an option for both programs that holds the engine live, even though that is not an option I agree with.

As far as I'm concerned the plugins should be able to detect the engine live condition and simply bypass any signal processing routines... not crash.

Bob L

Adam Christopher
06-22-2013, 06:42 PM
Hmmm..... Thanks Bob for the candid response and explanation. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to having an option for Live if that is in the works down the road.
But I guess for now it is what is. Hopefully we'll be able to get a few such developers to work around Saw as well.
Respectfully,

AC

Carl G.
06-22-2013, 06:44 PM
Hi There,

Not a lot to say. The title says it all. A lot of plugins I just started using now only work in live mode. The thing is that once I close the session. It doesn't open in live mode so the whole session crashes and cannot be opened again. Kind of frustrating. Is there any way to open in live mode by default so that I can open these sessions? If so, how do you go about doing it. Thanks in advance!

AC
Simply save an EDL of one live setup you like, (with plugins where you want them and proper input assignments), then use a shortcut to that EDL (named "Live EDL"). When you open it - you're all set to go - simply press the "L" key.

Richard Rupert
06-22-2013, 06:50 PM
But Carl... if he has to press the "L" key to make the engine go live, doesn't that by definition mean that he's not "Opening" in Live mode as per his request? I might be missing something though... (wouldn't be the first time)... :) I'm guessing SAW would crash before he could press the "L" key...

Adam Christopher
06-22-2013, 09:06 PM
But Carl... if he has to press the "L" key to make the engine go live, doesn't that by definition mean that he's not "Opening" in Live mode as per his request? I might be missing something though... (wouldn't be the first time)... :) I'm guessing SAW would crash before he could press the "L" key...

Hi guys,

Thank you both for the follow-ups. Yes, Richard that is my experience. It will crash before you can even hit the L button so that workaround in this case doesn't resolve the issue.

soundchicken
06-23-2013, 01:04 AM
What crappy coding.

Sean McCoy
06-23-2013, 08:05 AM
I'm curious as to what plugins you're using that crash if SS isn't in Live mode. I have way too many plugins, but none of them exhibit this behavior.

Adam Christopher
06-23-2013, 10:22 AM
I'm curious as to what plugins you're using that crash if SS isn't in Live mode. I have way too many plugins, but none of them exhibit this behavior.

Hi Sean,

Off the bat, there is the Audio Exponential Phoenix Reverb. That is by far my favorite itb reverb ever. The guy behind it Michael Carnes is the genius behind the modern Lexicon PCM series and he sent off and did his own project. I wouldn't exactly call his work crappy coding. The algorithms sound amazing and remind me of everything I like about the TC 6000 and the Lexicon 480. It doesn't have the modulated tails like the 480 but a touch of the Lexicon feel but more natural sounding and blends better like the TC6000. If you ever get the chance to try this one, you'll be a happy camper.

Also, there are some others others that have difficulty when not in Live Mode. Like TC Intonator, TC Thirty, TC X3 and X5, Assimilator. I think some pitch correction effects like Melodyne will also force you to render. I came across a few other plugins as well with this behavior but I'm glad that you aren't having any issues with it. Also, it seems none of the Slate plugins seem to work properly in Saw but I'm not sure if this is related.

I must say that I love the combination of Saw with my hardware dsp - Liquid Mix and TC Electronics. Between those two and Saw native plugins, I can do pretty much everything now. But i really rely heavily on Nebula which is a cpu killer. I upgraded to Nebula 3 Server and it is still heavy cpu. But with the hardware dsp I have lots of headroom now for processing power.

Saw is very efficient of course as it is but I have by most people's standards absurd needs. I like the variety of all the modeled, sampled gear and I go heavy on it for the flavor, which amounts to huge cpu usage. But with the way things are running now on my I5 with the Liquid Mix and TC hardware, I am hoping to never want to upgrade my computer again; In fact, I finally feel like I have all the plugins I would ever want with the latest edition of the Nebula 33609 program. :)

richswit
06-23-2013, 10:34 AM
I wonder if anyone has tried "auto tune live" plugin. Claims to
Have very low latency. I guess to work in SAC would need zero latency

Sean McCoy
06-23-2013, 10:40 AM
Thanks, Christopher. I haven't tried any of those you mentioned, except for the Slate RC-Tube, which I only bought because I needed a new iLok2 and it was free with the plugin. :o Guess I know now why it's never worked in SAW.