PDA

View Full Version : Android Controls SAWStudio

Carey Langille
06-24-2013, 03:07 PM
www.splashtop.com (http://www.splashtop.com) FINALLY I can Control SAWstudio Reliably from all over my studio with an android tablet without the Network issues I was having and Plugin errors I was getting in the SAWStudio Remote setup using a full laptop..... This is amazingly smooth Fast and free! Try it guys, it might fit your need too! Im sure SAC would benefit from its use as well! I have tried these types of Sharing/desktop apps before, but this one actuall;y WORKS!! ( An no,im not getting paid, don't own the company ect ect..);)

Ian Alexander
06-24-2013, 04:08 PM
Thanks, Cary. Looks very promising. Might be the successor to the Frontier Tranzport, which is Win 7 compatible, but hasn't had a driver update since 2010.

soundchicken
06-24-2013, 05:13 PM
I love my splashtop:cool:

Bruce Callaway
06-25-2013, 01:30 AM
Thanks, checking it now

Marvin
07-04-2013, 02:19 AM
I have splashtop for ios, and though I've only fiddled with it, it seems to work pretty good.

marvin

sebastiandybing
07-05-2013, 07:00 AM
I also did a test on my iphone,
the best feature for me is that it send the
sound to the iphone, this is really handy
when mixing.

Bruce Callaway
09-05-2013, 03:06 AM
Thanks, checking it nowBought an ASUS TF300T tablet and installed splashtop. Tested it controlling SAWStudio and SAC and Ok so far but need to undertake more tests. Splashtop has three usage modes and need to work out which is best.

Dave Labrecque
09-05-2013, 06:01 AM
Bought an ASUS TF300T tablet and installed splashtop. Tested it controlling SAWStudio and SAC and Ok so far but need to undertake more tests. Splashtop has three usage modes and need to work out which is best.

Bruce -- how is Splashtop different from other remote control apps, like Teamviewer? (that's what I use)

Anxious to hear your further testing reports.

RBIngraham
09-05-2013, 06:14 AM
I don't think it is any different than any other screen sharing application out there. Just one more fish in the sea kind of a thing.

Bruce Callaway
09-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Bruce -- how is Splashtop different from other remote control apps, like Teamviewer? (that's what I use)

Anxious to hear your further testing reports.Dont know to be honest Dave, I have only ever used SAC and SAW remote on laptops before.

Bruce Callaway
09-08-2013, 04:12 AM
Well I conducted two recording sessions using splashtop on the tablet to control SAC and SAW. It worked fine. I noticed some dropped buffers but I run at 1 x 32 for recording. I had to turn wifi on (which I normally do not do for recording) so that probably explains it but it was not a problem.

I want to use this for recording when I also want to play on a track and sit in the sound room.

The splashtop controls take a bit of getting used to as opposed to using a mouse. I found it better to have all the channels labeled in SAW and just use splashtop to arm channels for recording etc.

cgrafx
09-08-2013, 10:32 PM
I realize you have the tablet already, but just a point of reference.

Almost any netbook will work running SAC remote. As an example, my acer one cost me $200 bucks refurbished. It may not be touch screen, but it does have a screen that is daylight visible and with the addition of a logitech wireless mouse, gives me great control (and I still have access to the touch pad on the netbook if I don't want to use the mouse).

I've played around with a number of remotes for my iPad and they all suffer from interface compatibility issues trying to translate touch gestures into mouse control.

I don't have to deal with that with the netbook as it run SAC remote directly.

Actually I could run splashtop on the netbook directly as well if I wanted access to the host and I'd still be better off than with a tablet, as there would not be the odd touch to mouse translation issues.

Bruce Callaway
09-09-2013, 01:31 AM
I realize you have the tablet already, but just a point of reference.

Almost any netbook will work running SAC remote. As an example, my acer one cost me $200 bucks refurbished. It may not be touch screen, but it does have a screen that is daylight visible and with the addition of a logitech wireless mouse, gives me great control (and I still have access to the touch pad on the netbook if I don't want to use the mouse).

I've played around with a number of remotes for my iPad and they all suffer from interface compatibility issues trying to translate touch gestures into mouse control.

I don't have to deal with that with the netbook as it run SAC remote directly.

Actually I could run splashtop on the netbook directly as well if I wanted access to the host and I'd still be better off than with a tablet, as there would not be the odd touch to mouse translation issues.I have previously used laptops with SAW and SAC remote. Even thought it worked, I found it was not intuitive and caused me problems from time to time whenere for some unknown reason it wouldn't work. Trouble shooting was time consuming. I appreciate the netbook angle with SAC/SAW remote and whatever works for you is great. In my case, I found splashtop easier to use even given the touchscreen learning curve.

I have another motive to purchase a tablet that is outside of audio recording which helped clinch the deal but certainly agree that a netbook is a very attractive option. By the way I got my ASUS tablet for AU$299 new which is a good deal.

Dave Labrecque
09-09-2013, 08:46 AM
I have previously used laptops with SAW and SAC remote. Even thought it worked, I found it was not intuitive and caused me problems from time to time whenere for some unknown reason it wouldn't work. Trouble shooting was time consuming. I appreciate the netbook angle with SAC/SAW remote and whatever works for you is great. In my case, I found splashtop easier to use even given the touchscreen learning curve.

I have another motive to purchase a tablet that is outside of audio recording which helped clinch the deal but certainly agree that a netbook is a very attractive option. By the way I got my ASUS tablet for AU$299 new which is a good deal.

Bruce, do you like Spashtop's user interface options better than other remote apps? Have you used Teamviewer?

Bruce Callaway
09-10-2013, 02:15 AM
Bruce, do you like Spashtop's user interface options better than other remote apps? Have you used Teamviewer?
I cant add much to that question Dave, I haven't tried Teamviewer. I like splashtop better than SAC and SAW remote is about all I could say. Purely personal choice in the end...

DominicPerry
09-10-2013, 05:19 AM
Splashtop has some clever compression and gui drawing technologies as well as some 'self-optimising' bandwidth technologies, which make it different from other remote desktop apps. Whether these are better or more useful for you than TeamViewer depends on what the application you're controlling is and how you're running it. I use TeamViewer for remote support of family/friends, but Splashtop looks good - although I haven't used it.
I guess you'd have to try it to know if it's better for you.

Dominic

Dave Labrecque
09-10-2013, 05:10 PM
I guess you'd have to try it to know if it's better for you.

Dominic

I hate when that happens.

Thanks for your always-useful info, Dominic. :cool:

Carey Langille
09-11-2013, 09:24 AM
I too Perfer the Splashtop to the SAW Remote, as the Saw remote just didnt work right in my studio, every time there was a network wireless issue, saw had to be reset, Also i had issues with the plugins having to be installed on the remote AND the Host.. YES its a bug, Had Bob test it on the phone with me,, he saw this action as well... SO, Splashtop eliminates that completely.. All i really needed was the ability to rec/ punch/ see levels.. I dont do any crazy editing on it, and the speed and delay of splashtop work well for me.....I have tried many other apps like this and they all failed.. this works... For me....AND Free on Android! (99 cents on apple i think)

AlanFennah
10-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Just thought i'd try this. Have got Splashtop on my Google Nexus and can control SAW no problem. What I can't seem to do is get it to output the audio to my Nexus. I have selected this preference on my PC /splashtop Streamer...but I can't hear anything...Am I missing something?

Al.

Bruce Callaway
10-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Just thought i'd try this. Have got Splashtop on my Google Nexus and can control SAW no problem. What I can't seem to do is get it to output the audio to my Nexus. I have selected this preference on my PC /splashtop Streamer...but I can't hear anything...Am I missing something?

Al.I don't use my splashtop tablet for audio playback so cant help with this one.

Ian Alexander
10-03-2013, 02:22 AM

Al.

I'll guess that your SawStudio audio is going to your audio interface, not to the default Windows sound device. Windows cannot give to Splashtop what it doesn't have. Do you hear the usual Windows noises?

Just curious: why do want this? For a remote control in the VO booth or live sound, I don't think I would want any sound from the tablet. How are you using it?