PDA

View Full Version : Marking an area

Mitch
03-20-2005, 08:38 PM
Is it possible to mark beginning and end area points in the MT view while the track is in play mode ?

andykern
03-20-2005, 08:50 PM
Nope. Cursor postion is locked to playback location. A lot of functions are locked during playback. I'm guessing this accounts for the incredible stabilty of SS. Andy

Mitch
03-20-2005, 09:36 PM
Ok cool... I could not find a way to do it so I thought I'd ask to be sure.

In Soundfile view this IS possible right ? ...by clicking the Mrk Beg / End buttons while in play mode... ?

Trying to figure out the best way to go about OD sessions...which view is most convenient for re-taking performances, listening back and marking vocal phrases to re-take etc...

I've spent all my time (5 weeks now) in SAW learning the mix phase, automation, effects send returns etc.... Now it's time to start making some music again !!

Thanks!

Craig Allen
03-20-2005, 10:12 PM
You can set Locate points 1-4 or Que points on the control track during playback and then use them as reference points for marking areas after you're done playing.

Mitch
03-20-2005, 10:57 PM
Thanks.

Can you have multiple marked areas ? Like 2nd line of 1st verse, 1st line of chorus etc... all pre-marked to punch in or only 1 marked area at a time ?

UpTilDawn
03-20-2005, 11:05 PM
Once you've located your precise points for the retake, punch-in, etc. using the locators and/or que points as Buck has suggested, you can MARK one area at a time for the punch-in..... if this is what you are asking.

On the other hand, you can mark andy number of positions during playback by using the "Q" key..... you can also mark any of up to 30 locator points as you playback, although, beyond the first 4, you'd be hard pressed to mark them in rapid succession.

Hope this helps,
DanT

Sebastian Eskildsen
03-21-2005, 12:08 AM
you could also split the file at the Que/locater points,
and then when you need to punch in, then place the
cursor on the region and hit cntl+E to mark the hole punch in
region.
Sebastian

Bob L
03-21-2005, 09:56 AM
Once you have locate points or Cue Locations in the Control Track view, you can automatically mark chunks by clicking on the first locate point, then Alt-Clicking on the next... this will mark the area between.

I recommend using this for each session final mix area... drop a Locate point at the begin position and end position of the actual mix area... then when building a mix, simply click on the Beg locate point, then Alt-Click the End locate point.

Then each time you buid a new version of the mix as you are tweaking an album project, the mix file always comes out the exact same size... makes it easy when burning test CDs of the project along the way.

Bob L

Mitch
03-21-2005, 04:57 PM
...I dont suppose there are any local (LA or Ventura County) SAW tutors available eh ? How can I learn 3 years worth of stuff in the next month ?? LOL

Jay Q
03-21-2005, 05:30 PM
...I dont suppose there are any local (LA or Ventura County) SAW tutors available eh ? How can I learn 3 years worth of stuff in the next month ?? LOLMitch, take a look at the SAW Users Referral site (see link in my signature below). You may be able to find someone in your area who's willing to help.

Jay

AudioAstronomer
03-21-2005, 05:58 PM
...I dont suppose there are any local (LA or Ventura County) SAW tutors available eh ? How can I learn 3 years worth of stuff in the next month ?? LOL

Pay my flight and room&board and Im there :) I live cheap!

Mitch
03-21-2005, 07:46 PM
Robert,

Well you'd live here (have to sleep on the couch though), and we'd feed ya, so how much is a flight from FL to CA ? ...oh, can you stay for 2 months ? :D

Thanks Jay, I'll check out those links.

UpTilDawn
03-22-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Bob L: ...drop a Locate point at the begin position and end position of the actual mix area... then when building a mix, simply click on the Beg locate point, then Alt-Click the End locate point.

Another nice feature variation I seem to have missed Bob. This will really come in handy when I mix down the dialog and songs in those hour long concert sets I record so often these days, especially since I already use the locators to mark these segments anyway. Does this also work with the Q points?..... I'll have to check that out..

Gotta find more time to re-read the manual.....

DanT

Yura
03-22-2005, 05:09 PM
This thread remind me another small idea with Q-locations working..
Sometimes we needto listen the project and hit some marks as Q-key.
But often there is need in exact references classifications for those points.. As usual, one Q we need remember refering to IN point. and another for OUT point. The name feature is good but not so sharp for a quik identification as COLOR code of Q-point could be... For instance, we'd like to easy know that all red Q-location lines are "IN points" and all blue lines of Q-location lines refere to "OUT points" (for inst., Y-key).

what do you think?

Bob L
03-22-2005, 05:30 PM
Could be useful... but color coding individual items in a listbox is very cpu intensive everytime that listbox is updated on the screen... the colors have to be changed as each item is drawn... therefore can slow down the redraw process with all kinds of checking for which type of item it is and which color to make it.

I'm not sure whether its important enough to possibly cause interference with lower and lower latency expectations.

It is being done in the FX Choices Lisbox... maybe it might be ok here also... I'd have to look into possibilities for choosing colors.

Bob L

Yura
03-22-2005, 05:57 PM
Thanks for considering, Bob.
I'd add that the "color coded" division would be usefull when we had made very lot of Q-points on the fly during last "control listening". It is really obviously that dozens of appeared Q-points of the same white colod makes a mess when we try to take out from our memory what was marked as IN and what as OUT.

The instance of possible control listening:
Music-producer listens to the film project and makes his wishes about possible short-music placements in it - not stop mode. He asks: attention, possible version of music beg. - from point1,... the second version, from point2, end of music chunk - point3, or second version - point4.
After all points have marked, we have no absolute mess with those lines, and we can easy gonna put music regions to apropriate asked places.

Carl G.
03-22-2005, 06:39 PM
I like that idea too - using Locate points - (say 1 & 2) exclusively for marking areas for mixdown! Super cool. (never found myself using 1-4 because of non-identifying structure)... but this is an excellent use!
So.... we just should RTM (clean version of 'Read the manual' :) ),
but we should also STM.... (STUDY the manual!!)

Yura
03-22-2005, 07:11 PM
I like that idea too - using Locate points - (say 1 & 2) exclusively for marking areas for mixdown! Super cool. (never found myself using 1-4 because of non-identifying structure)

Suposeing I'd use only 1&2, I'd probably never need color discrimination :)

Dave Labrecque
03-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Suposeing I'd use only 1&2, I'd probably never need color discrimination :)
Careful, we have laws about that kind of thing. :p

Dave Labrecque
03-22-2005, 07:35 PM
George,

Would it at all be helpful to do single kestrokes ("Q") during playback to mark in points and double keystrokes ("QQ") for out points? It's crude, but may serve your needs for now.

Pedro Itriago
03-23-2005, 04:58 AM
For what, doing 1&2 publicly or about the color discrimination? please explain :p

Careful, we have laws about that kind of thing. :p

Yura
03-23-2005, 10:37 AM
George,

Would it at all be helpful to do single kestrokes ("Q") during playback to mark in points and double keystrokes ("QQ") for out points? It's crude, but may serve your needs for now.

I must say thanks.
Not thinked about this yet!