PDA

View Full Version : OT: Recording at 96KHz on an 84KHz board

bcorkery
07-03-2013, 06:14 AM
I have a DA7 board which is only capable of 84KHz. I've been asked to record at 96KHz. I'm using an Apogee Rosetta 800 converter lightpiped to my RME card and want to be able to use the phone patch and monitor hooked up to the DA7.

The Apogee and SAW are able to record at this sample rate, but I"m trying to get my brain around recording at 9600 and monitoring through the DA7 mixer.

Any ideas about how I can accomplish this?

Dave Labrecque
07-03-2013, 08:49 AM
I have a DA7 board which is only capable of 84KHz. I've been asked to record at 96KHz. I'm using an Apogee Rosetta 800 converter lightpiped to my RME card and want to be able to use the phone patch and monitor hooked up to the DA7.

The Apogee and SAW are able to record at this sample rate, but I"m trying to get my brain around recording at 9600 and monitoring through the DA7 mixer.

Any ideas about how I can accomplish this?

First -- do away with that whacky 84 KHz rate. It's very non-traditional. ;)

Sean McCoy
07-03-2013, 10:47 AM
84 kHz, really? Bizarre. I have an Apogee 800, and if I'm not mistaken, it might be capable of simultaneously outputting 96 and 48. I've never needed to do this so I don't know how to set it up, but it could be worth checking into.

Ian Alexander
07-03-2013, 11:49 AM
I'm guessing you have the digital mixer connected to the digital output of the Rosetta. If you clock at 96k, the mixer won't play along. So use the DA7 as you would an analog mixer. Feed your mic pre output to analog inputs on both the DA7 and the Rosetta. Then feed the analog output of the Rosetta to the DA7 for playback, if needed. Feed headphones and phone patch from the mixer, but record only the Rosetta. Then you're recording the mic at 96k, bypassing the 84k mixer. Or am I telling you the obvious and missing your real question? :o

Be sure to run a full test ahead of time. You may have to completely disconnect any digital connections to the mixer. You may also have to change your Audio Device Setup under the SS Options menu. If there are any devices listed that are not capable of the sample rate in the session, you may get an error. Save the prefs under a different name once you get it going.

bcorkery
07-03-2013, 12:17 PM
First -- do away with that whacky 84 KHz rate. It's very non-traditional. ;)I'd love to do away with my dyslexia!

bcorkery
07-03-2013, 12:25 PM
Thanks. I ended up doing exactly what Ian suggested. Thank you.

I read some hints on the old DA7 site that lead me to believe I could use the Apogee converters in digital mode and a couple digital channels in the DA7 to achieve this ... no details though.

Anyway, Sony Online Entertainment is happy, the talent is happy for not having to make a 6 hour round trip to LA through holiday traffic for a 1 hour gig.

I guess I'm happy too then!
(except for my dyslexia!)

Sean McCoy
07-03-2013, 02:08 PM
Analog solves a lot of problems. BUT you can create an all-digital connection with your setup. From page 5 of the Rosetta 800 manual:

SYNC Advanced settings:
The Rosetta 800 may be configured to accommodate digital systems whose
word clock signals run at a multiple of the sample rate frequency.
1) To configure the Rosetta 800 to sync to a word clock input of one
frequency while running at a sample rate whose frequency is a multiple of the
word clock:
1) Connect the word clock signal to the Word Clock In and set SYNC
to WC.
2) Press and hold the SYNC button to determine the current "target"
sample rate range.
3) While pressing the SYNC button, press the SAMPLE RATE button
to toggle through the possible "target" ranges. For example, to
sync the Rosetta 800 to a 44.1kHz Word Clock input while running
at 88.2kHz, maintain the SYNC button depressed while pressing
the SAMPLE RATE button the until both the 88.2 and 96 LEDs
light.
2) To configure the Rosetta 800 to sync to another source (internally or other
SYNC values besides WC) and output a Word Clock signal whose frequency
is a multiple of the sample rate frequency:
1) Set the unit to the desired clock source and sample rate
2) Press and hold the SYNC button to determine the current Word
Clock Output frequency range.
3) While pressing the SYNC button, press the SAMPLE RATE
button to toggle through the possible ranges. For example, to run
the Rosetta 800 at an 88.2kHz sample rate while outputting a
44.1kHz word clock, set the SAMPLE RATE to 88.2, maintain the
SYNC button depressed while pressing the SAMPLE RATE button
until both 44.1 and 48 LEDs light.

bcorkery
07-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Thanks Sean! I'm going to play around with this. I got this for it's quality not knowing about such flexibility!

Sean McCoy
07-03-2013, 02:31 PM
Same here. I remember being shocked when I read this in the manual, as I never thought such a thing was possible. Like you, I have a digital mixer that tops out at 48k (Mackie D8B), and have been tempted to mess with my configuration to do some 96 kHz recording. Without giving it a lot of thought or drawing diagrams, I think the only way to do it would be to lock the console and Apogee together at 48 kHz via wordclock, and have the audio interface derive its 96 kHz clock strictly from the ADAT, which, in this case, would involve using S/MUX. Obviously, this could all get a bit complicated. Which is why I haven't done it. :o

Edit: Or...the audio interface could provide the master clock at 96 kHz, and the console would get a 48 kHz output from the Apogee. Oh, no, now I'm thinking about it.

Dave Labrecque
07-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Same here. I remember being shocked when I read this in the manual, as I never thought such a thing was possible. Like you, I have a digital mixer that tops out at 48k (Mackie D8B), and have been tempted to mess with my configuration to do some 96 kHz recording. Without giving it a lot of thought or drawing diagrams, I think the only way to do it would be to lock the console and Apogee together at 48 kHz via wordclock, and have the audio interface derive its 96 kHz clock strictly from the ADAT, which, in this case, would involve using S/MUX. Obviously, this could all get a bit complicated. Which is why I haven't done it. :o

Edit: Or...the audio interface could provide the master clock at 96 kHz, and the console would get a 48 kHz output from the Apogee. Oh, no, now I'm thinking about it.

Wow. I wondered if such syncing of sample rate multiples was possible, and it looks like it is! With the Rosetta, anyway.

Also sounds like you got an actual 96K recording for your client, Bill. True?

bcorkery
07-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Yes, I got them the 96KHz files. Thanks for all your support. I love this place! So much information and so many willing to share!

Thanks, Bob for making it all possible!