PDA

View Full Version : OT: UAD-2 plugs suggestions?

Dave Labrecque
08-15-2013, 07:07 AM
This is kinda crazy (in a good way). Several months back I took advantage of the UA deal where you trade in your UAD-1 cards toward a new UAD-2 card. I got a UAD-2 Duo. For various reasons, my studio has been somewhat dormant for the last year, so the new card has been sitting in its box. Finally moved into the house we've been renovating here in the Berkshires last week. Thought it'd be a good time to put the new card in the computer. When I went to register it with UA, I got a message saying there's currently a promotion where new UAD-2 owners (those registering their new cards now) get some free cool plugs -- in my case it would be the Neve 88RS Channel Strip and EMT 140 Plate Reverb. But that since I already own the Neve channel strip, instead I'm getting a $498 voucher. (That plus the $50 voucher that comes with the card.) Whoa! Who knew?

My point is that, apparently, you can hold off on registering your card till there's some promotion you like, then jump in. And that's on top of any promotion you may have enjoyed when you bought the card! I dunno, maybe they've simply changed their promotional approach from cool-deal-when-you-buy to cool-deal-when-you-register and I just got lucky by doing this during the transition period. I'm just sayin'... keep an eye out for that kind of thing, if you're buying any UAD-2 hardware.

Which brings me to my main point: I'd love to hear about your favorite UAD plugs. And why. I'm taking a shine to the Lexicon 224, but am interested in compressors and good EQ's, too. And whatever else I may be missing out on. Anyone used the newer emulations of the classic compressors (1176/LA2A)?

Thanks.

Sean McCoy
08-15-2013, 09:09 AM
I got the new LA-2A collection, and am liking them a lot. Much more character than the original version, great for noticeable fattening and smoothing. The 224 is killer, and is generally my first go-to reverb for vocals. Like a good hardware verb (and unlike many plugin verbs), a little bit goes a long way and sits nicely in the mix. My favorite plugin for short delays is the Cooper Time Cube. It just has a big sound. And the Massive Passive is as good as they say. I've never used the hardware, but this plugin definitely has some magic. Transient Designer is great for adding punch and reshaping envelopes, and the Voice of God can be a lifesaver with wimpy stuff. I have about 20 others, most of which get used regularly, but these are the ones that rise to the top. Next I've got my sights set on the Ampex emulation, and then....

Dave Labrecque
08-15-2013, 09:32 AM
I got the new LA-2A collection, and am liking them a lot. Much more character than the original version, great for noticeable fattening and smoothing. The 224 is killer, and is generally my first go-to reverb for vocals. Like a good hardware verb (and unlike many plugin verbs), a little bit goes a long way and sits nicely in the mix. My favorite plugin for short delays is the Cooper Time Cube. It just has a big sound. And the Massive Passive is as good as they say. I've never used the hardware, but this plugin definitely has some magic. Transient Designer is great for adding punch and reshaping envelopes, and the Voice of God can be a lifesaver with wimpy stuff. I have about 20 others, most of which get used regularly, but these are the ones that rise to the top. Next I've got my sights set on the Ampex emulation, and then....

Great info. Thanks, Sean. :)

I have rarely liked the 'old' LA-2A plug. I've heard elsewhere, too, that the new ones are much better.

MMP
08-22-2013, 09:25 AM
Lexicon 224 go to reverb, though Valhalla verbs are closing in
Shadow Hills one comp to rule them all
Ampex great for tape saturation, plus awesome double track and chorusing fx
Multiband comp-great for noise reduction, deessing, other freq based issues
Precision Buss Comp (high pass filter lets low end through)

Dave Labrecque
08-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Shadow Hills one comp to rule them all
Ampex great for tape saturation, plus awesome double track and chorusing fx
Multiband comp-great for noise reduction, deessing, other freq based issues
Precision Buss Comp (high pass filter lets low end through)

Michael, can you be more concise, please? ;) Serioulsy, though, thanks for the great input.

Tell me about the Shadow Hills comp. What do you like about it? How do you use it?

MMP
08-22-2013, 10:44 AM
The Shadow Hills is just fat sounding and very versatile.

It has both optical and feed-forward detection elements that can be used in series. I use it on voice sometimes...instruments, but almost always on my output chain.

It also emulates three different types of transformers, so it has different tonal characteristics to choose from beyond the comps.

There is also a high pass filter on it to preserve the low end of instruments or VO.

Also, the newer plugins just sound more musical to me for the most part.

Regards,

MM

Sean McCoy
08-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Michael-
I use and absolutely love the Valhalla Room, but haven't tried the Vintage Verb yet. How does it compare to your other Lexicon-type plugins, such as the 224?

MMP
08-22-2013, 05:10 PM
You can get it close to a Lexicon, but what is more interesting to me is all the non-Lexicon things you can do with it.

Regards,

MM

Sean McCoy
08-23-2013, 08:10 AM
You can get it close to a Lexicon, but what is more interesting to me is all the non-Lexicon things you can do with it.

Regards,

MM
Which is also true of the Valhalla Room. So I assume the Vintage Verb is different enough from both the Room and the 224 to justify having them all?

MMP
08-24-2013, 04:18 AM
I think so.

But, I have four spring reverbs...so, you could call me crazy.

(anyone got a plate they're selling?);)

Regards,

MM

Dave Labrecque
08-24-2013, 08:55 AM
I think so.

But, I have four spring reverbs...so, you could call me crazy.

I take it you mean actual spring reverbs, not just software emulations?

Yes, you are crazy.

MMP
08-24-2013, 09:36 AM
Yup.

Rv100
AKG BX10
AKGBX20
RE501

Sean McCoy
08-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Ah, he's planning to open a museum after retirement. :)

MMP
08-25-2013, 05:18 AM
That might be a better job than bagger at Whole Foods.

Richard Rupert
08-25-2013, 05:20 AM
Yup.

Rv100
AKG BX10
AKGBX20
RE501
Oh wow! I had an AKG BX 10, and when I got a Lexicon I gave the BX 10 to a client who used it as a coffee table! :)

It was a pretty big beast, but not really big enough to serve as a coffee table IMHO. I guess it had too much stuff inside the box for him to use as a bread box. :D:D:D

JonathanT
08-27-2013, 06:21 AM
I had an EMT 140 plate in the basement of my house for about 15 years. That was pretty cool. Used to have to run down to the basement to adjust the reverb time!