PDA

View Full Version : Updating Track Trick (from 4.9 into 5.0/5.1)

Carl G.
08-31-2013, 06:53 PM
For those who had problems with plugins issues when opening EDL's made pre-5.0 release (where the maxium was 72 input channels).... for instance, a plugin on output 1 in 4.9 would show up on Input 79 in SawStudio 5.0/5.1....
Here's a simple solution! (with no re-patching)

Simply "Menu> Mixer > "Clear Mixer to Default"

That will put anything that was patched on output channels (in SawStudio =< 4.9) onto the proper output channels in SawStudio 5.0/5.1.

Dave Labrecque
08-31-2013, 08:19 PM
For those who had problems with plugins issues when opening EDL's made pre-5.0 release (where the maxium was 72 input channels).... for instance, a plugin on output 1 in 4.9 would show up on Input 79 in SawStudio 5.0/5.1....
Here's a simple solution! (with no re-patching)

Simply "Menu> Mixer > "Clear Mixer to Default"

That will put anything that was patched on output channels (in SawStudio =< 4.9) onto the proper output channels in SawStudio 5.0/5.1.

Carl, this sounds preposterous on its face. ;) Seriously, though, a walk-through is in order, I think. Otherwise, what the hell are you talkin' about? :confused: :p

Carl G.
09-01-2013, 09:20 PM
Carl, this sounds preposterous on its face. ;) Seriously, though, a walk-through is in order, I think. Otherwise, what the hell are you talkin' about? :confused: :p

Steps:
Open up 4.9 with NOTHING patched.
Patch in Levelizer in output #1
Save EDL in 4.9. as "Track79"

Open up 5.0/5.1
Open the 4.9 EDL "Track79"
Go to Output #1.
Click on Levelizer in Output#1
Levelizer will show it is correctly patched into Track 79 (see pic)
(Proof of this is Automation also writes to Track 79)

Bob suggested a couple years ago when I brought it up to unpatch and repatch the levelizer.
The other night I discovered a simpler solution (mentioned in my original post)
(so I thought I'd share)
http://www.creativetrax.com/Saw/Track79.jpg

RBIngraham
09-02-2013, 08:41 AM
But doesn't that also reset all of the settings on the Mixer to whatever is saved in the default?

Just curious as I've never run into that exact issue. But that's probably because I have lite.

Carl G.
09-02-2013, 03:46 PM
But doesn't that also reset all of the settings on the Mixer to whatever is saved in the default?

Just curious as I've never run into that exact issue. But that's probably because I have lite.

The key is to have your default setup the way you want it as a 'base', which I do, so it translates beautifully.

UpTilDawn
09-02-2013, 04:41 PM
The key is to have your default setup the way you want it as a 'base', which I do, so it translates beautifully.

If you want certain plug-ins to be set to the output channel as you described, it's not just key, it's imperative to have the default set up that way.

Otherwise, hitting "default mixer" straightens out the channel order, but it doesn't re-insert plug-ins on the output channel, based on your current session.... right?

I think clarification is in order.

RBIngraham
09-02-2013, 08:44 PM
I guess I don't fully understand the function of Clear Mixer to Default. To me that sounds like it will reset every EQ and Dynamics or any other setting on the mixing console. If I'm opening an old mix sessions I could see lots of scenarios where I wouldn't want that to happen.

Guess it's time for some experiments to figure out what this function actually does... but it will have to wait till I get home and can play on the DAW. :)

Dave Labrecque
09-03-2013, 02:59 PM
I guess I don't fully understand the function of Clear Mixer to Default. To me that sounds like it will reset every EQ and Dynamics or any other setting on the mixing console.

This is what I was thinking. Not to mention plug-ins that are in the session, but may not be in the default template. Or the settings you've made for any plug-ins. :confused:

Maybe you mean to do this before any editing at all happens to the mixer configuration?

Still hoping for a walk-through.

Carl G.
09-04-2013, 12:26 AM
This is what I was thinking. Not to mention plug-ins that are in the session, but may not be in the default template. Or the settings you've made for any plug-ins. :confused:

Maybe you mean to do this before any editing at all happens to the mixer configuration?

Still hoping for a walk-through.

Right. My 5.1 default, as I was checking this - just happened to be the same setup in the first 16 channels as was the 4.9 session.... so there was no noticeable change... but it *did* correct the track 79 problem.

However, there is a difference in Levelizer settings ... (in my case very minor - so I didn't catch it). So... it's universally better to unpatch and repatch Output plugins to solve the 4.9-5.0 EDL conversion issues, as Bob suggested.

Thanks for the careful input on the output guys!