PDA

View Full Version : Retake All idea

bit
03-23-2005, 02:00 PM
The other day I kind of fell into a trap when recording bass guitar. I find it very handy to use the playback grouping when recording something. This way I can quickly go from playing only the soloed tracks to playing all by holding the control key while starting playback. Well, the trap was that while I'm in a fragment of a second call for a retake by hitting backspace and enter I forgot to lift my left hand from the control key and the retake all message flash before my eyes and the bass entries disappears one by one. Well, we had to start over....
What I was thinking of was. what if you on the red retake all message box HAVE to use the mouse, or the default is CANCEL instead of OK. Or best of all: Saw had a built in undelete routine for undoing retake all. Actually I tried to undo, but then it was definately NOT bass that came out of the speakers. White or pink noise. Red maybe. I don't know. :)

Bjorn

Jay Q
03-23-2005, 02:36 PM
what if you on the red retake all message box HAVE to use the mouse, or the default is CANCEL instead of OK.Great ideas, Bjorn!

Jay

AudioAstronomer
03-23-2005, 02:58 PM
if retake ALL was mouse only, Id be quite happy. Regular retake and I would go absolutely bonkers!!

Dave Labrecque
03-23-2005, 04:01 PM
if retake ALL was mouse only, Id be quite happy. Regular retake and I would go absolutely bonkers!!
My thoughts exactly. :eek:

Bob L
03-23-2005, 04:48 PM
I originally had everything mouse only and people hounded me to make it quick keyboard shortcuts... if I put in extra warning prompts they complain... if I make it quick keys, they complain... I am sorry to say, there is really nothing I can do to satisfy everybody.

The real issue is that no matter what, you can get into trouble if you don't pay attention during a session... and no amount of trying to protect from error will ever work out to everyone's satisfaction.

At the moment, if you want a little slower retake function... use the mouse... if you are attentive to the prompts... use the keyboard... :)

I personally recommend using the mouse all over the place and slowing down a little... in the end, you may actually get the job done faster with fewer mistakes along the way.

Bob L

Carl G.
03-24-2005, 12:03 AM
The other day I kind of fell into a trap when recording bass guitar. I find it very handy to use the playback grouping when recording something. This way I can quickly go from playing only the soloed tracks to playing all by holding the control key while starting playback. Well, the trap was that while I'm in a fragment of a second call for a retake by hitting backspace and enter I forgot to lift my left hand from the control key and the retake all message flash before my eyes and the bass entries disappears one by one. Well, we had to start over....
What I was thinking of was. what if you on the red retake all message box HAVE to use the mouse, or the default is CANCEL instead of OK. Or best of all: Saw had a built in undelete routine for undoing retake all. Actually I tried to undo, but then it was definately NOT bass that came out of the speakers. White or pink noise. Red maybe. I don't know. :)

Bjorn
SOLVE all your problems with this:
Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Keyboard.
Choose the "Speed" tab.
Adjust the "REPEAT DELAY" all the way to the LEFT (Long)
Press OK.
Done! No More Problems!

Les Woollam
03-24-2005, 11:06 AM
Like I suggested a couple of months ago. . . the ability to disable 'Retake All' in Options (or the ability to disable the Retake All key stroke in Options) would, in my opinion, solve the problem.

Dave Labrecque
03-24-2005, 11:10 AM
SOLVE all your problems with this:
Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Keyboard.
Choose the "Speed" tab.
Adjust the "REPEAT DELAY" all the way to the LEFT (Long)
Press OK.
Done! No More Problems!
Carl,

Not quite. Now, all the tasks that this setting speeded up are slowed down. :( Arrowing through lists, tracks and channels among them.

Bob L
03-24-2005, 11:41 AM
I'll mark it down and see what I can come up with that can help. No doubt this is one of the most dangerous functions in the program, if not used carefully. :)

Bob L

Les Woollam
03-24-2005, 01:29 PM
No doubt this is one of the most dangerous functions in the program, if not used carefully. :)

Bob L

Absolutely! This one option would make my long voice recording sessions with SS totally stress-free.
:cool: