PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade from windows XP on my system?

garth.bowman
10-31-2013, 06:28 AM
So I am running XP, should I upgrade and if so to what version?

mr_es335
10-31-2013, 06:48 AM
Hello,

I would really like to know why? Unless you are wanting to go to some newer hardware that, due to the hardware manufacturer, does not provided drivers for XP, then I see no real reasons in going to any of the newer OS's.

It is interesting to note the following:
1. Most OEM motherboards for desktops still provide drivers for XP.
* For example Intel, ASUS and MSI all do. This is NOT the case for laptops however - unless you consider corporate-grade laptops like Lenovo or Dell, which still DO provide drivers for XP on some of their units.
2. Many OEM boads still come with PS/2 ports.
* This I find very odd as it is very difficult to find keyboards and mice that use PS/2!
3. There are a number of outlets that are providing used hardware that is still in great shape and are a great value. The Dell Optiplex 755 and 780 are great desktop units. The Lenovoa T500 and T61 are great laptop units.
* I have recently setup and sold two of the T500's and they are in mint condition. One has XP Pro and the other has WIN7 Pro.
4. There is so much to learn about SS/SAC/MWS - that I would rather get a working system and use XP Pro with Bob's tweaks - and then to simply use the software and move on from there.
5. If you feel you "must" upgrade - then look at WIN7 Pro.
* I still find the Pro versions more tweakable - especially if you are using the networking features of the OS.

I do understand that it is "each to their own" - but as you ARE asking - I felt obliged to answer your question to the best of my abilities.

I hope you will find this information of practicable use to you.

PhaseShifter
10-31-2013, 08:02 AM
So I am running XP, should I upgrade and if so to what version?

Is your system stable and working well? If so, why would you want to upgrade it? It's best to treat these types of systems as "black boxes" and no be concerned about the underlying operating system.

Well, I mean, anyone should be concerned about running anything critical on windows, but that's a conversation for another time!

Butch Bos
10-31-2013, 08:04 AM
Although you can drop an Indy engine in a Model T, and watch the fun.:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFSGSL3Nrmc

Not a model T but still FUN

Butch

RBIngraham
10-31-2013, 06:02 PM
I pretty much agree. If your system is working just fine. Leave it alone.

If I was buying a new computer, I wouldn't bother with an on OS that isn't really supposed to be sold any longer, even if you can still find some COA licenses for it still. But that doesn't seem to be what you're talking about here.

Frankly almost all of my current production computers are system that I just bought "off the shelf". I do have a couple of older custom built Shuttles I got a long time ago, but all my newer stuff is Lenovo Refurbs and I just use whatever OS came with them. Yep... several of them even run Vista... :p and yes they work just fine if you know what you're doing. :)

All I do is remove things that get in the way like any included Anti-Virus and disk management crap and I do some (but not all) of the popular "tweaks" and they work just fine.