PDA

View Full Version : TouchDaw on Nexus 7

AVJAN00
11-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Hi guys
I did my usual bi annual gig this weekend and I used my Nexus 7 with TouchDaw
I was impressed, never dropped out and was really responsive. Worked with my Host Vista machine but would not talk to my win 8.1 remote machine.
Does F keys so next time I'll set up the keys to change mixers.

cheers
jan

operationwhat
11-07-2013, 04:29 AM
Great! :)
What functions did you manage to use while mixing remotely with it?
Levels,Dynamics? Any plugin control possibility?

AVJAN00
11-08-2013, 11:44 AM
I didn't have much time to explore everything but I adjusted the faders & eq which I needed. But I discovered it did the F keys, and that's what I need to explore. It scrolled through the channels easily and the meters were nice. The problem was, it adjusts whatever mixer was on the host. So I had to change the mixers which was a bit of a pain during sound check/rehearsal, there was 5 acts so I'd set them up and set the scenes on the host. During the show I used my (foh) laptop/monitor, but I did take the Nexus around to do a room check.
There is a free version to give you an idea what it does, but you need the paid version ($6) to use effectively. It's setup more for a DAW. My problem is to find the time to learn it, but from what I see it is not as fancy as the Ipad stuff but it gets the job done. I still need the laptop/monitor to see the big picture. It is nice to wonder around with, it lasted 5 hrs and still had more battery left. If I was doing 1 familiar act I would/could use it as front of house. For the Android tablets its great, the hardware is a lot more reasonably priced, $239 for the Nexus 7 compared to Apple.
Also I used BFM DR200's and 1 Titan 39. The venue was an old movie theater and we had 300 people. The front row seats were <10' from the stage and even with the mains on either side of the stage I was pleased with even coverage in the front center. The 1 Titan did the job, a nice clean sound for the country music they where playing.
We had the privilege to have the guitar player from the Man in Black legend tour ( He was there with is dad and brother who live in our small town) and his comment at setup, from his experience, the old blue hair crowd which we had would complain it would be too load and they would be unresponsive. He was pleasantly surprised as they, clapped, cheered, whistled and gave him a standing o. The best complement you can get with that crowd is "It was great, I didn't even have to take my hearing aids out" :)

cheers
jan