PDA

View Full Version : Pitch Correction

William Bushnell
03-24-2005, 03:13 PM
Thinking of picking up a pitch correction plugin. Autotune comes to mind but also the demo of Melodyne (celemony.com) looks interesting. Is anyone using it and would you recommend it.? Is it a serious pitch correction tool?

W. Bushnell

AudioAstronomer
03-24-2005, 03:15 PM
Melodyne rocks. I rarely ever touch it but when it's needed goodness gracious it's a million times better than anything else.

MMP
03-24-2005, 04:12 PM
Great pitch shifting. More musical artifacts, in my opinion, than Autotune.

MM

soundtrack2life
03-24-2005, 05:35 PM
MMP, "More musical artifacts, in my opinion, than Autotune". Is that meant to be good or a bad thing? I just got Autotune 4 and was looking into Melodyne.
Joe

MMP
03-24-2005, 05:39 PM
I meant, though both processes have artifacts, I find Melodyne's more musical.

Apologies for not being clear worded.

MM

soundtrack2life
03-24-2005, 06:04 PM
MMP, I thought that was what you meant. Anyway I DL the demo and I think I like it better than AT4 not to mention it really isnt just a pitch correction tool. I am really impressed.
Joe

William Bushnell
03-25-2005, 08:28 AM
I have not installed the demo, just looked at the video. I see on their WEB site that DX and VST is supported. For those who have used the program, what functions do you get using the the DX or VST plugins within Saw Studio? Would it be the same as the stand alone program?

Since I am using the Digiface/ADA8000 combination would there be any advantage to the added cost of the Melodyne Studio version other than the higher bit and sample rates ? Thanks.

W. Bushnell

MMP
03-25-2005, 08:31 AM
I have not been able to get their VST linker to work in SS. I use it stand alone, and bring the files in through library views.

The Studio version allows multiple machines to be licensed in addition to the other improvements.

MM

TotalSonic
03-25-2005, 09:27 AM
It's not automatic (which in some ways makes it better to me) but using SAW's built in varispeeding for a note or even part of it has rescued a couple or tracks to me.

I'm much more into doing a lot of takes and then just comping the best out of it all - something about the sound of Autotune really grates on me (then again my taste runs more towards "singers" like Leonard Cohen, Lou Reed, Ian Mackaye, Johnny Rotten, etc. where intonation is often all over the map - if they are even singing actual notes!).

Best regards,
Steve Berson