PDA

View Full Version : Problem downloading 3.9d

TimC
03-25-2005, 09:26 AM
I have just tried downloading 3.9d and rather that opening the usual "Open or Save" dialogue box it goes straight to trying to display the .exe file (pages and pages of 'gibberish'). :(

I am using IE6. There is no change to my machine since the last time I tried downloading SS (successfully) except that I installed Norton Internet Security 2005. However turning it off makes no difference.

Anyone have any insights. Is there something different about the server, or is my machine out to lunch.

Thanks
Tim

Leadfoot
03-25-2005, 09:33 AM
except that I installed Norton Internet Security 2005.
Tim
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say, that's probably got something to do with it..

Tony

Carey Langille
03-25-2005, 09:40 AM
Do Not NEVER EVER Install Norton Internet securities.. It completely Slows down your system... I have the Unfortunate job to remove it from poor victims computers every week.. Even on simple Office apps it slows the computer down.. You have to remove hundres of registry hooks, hidden keys, folders.. Its a Nightmare....Im sure this is the root of your problems... It has a built in firewall , that on Install, blocks your internet until you open up what is safe... Its Junk... Reformat and reinstall your OS is my first thought.. When updating windows do NOT install SP2 but DO install all the other critical updates. SP2 has been causing Firewire issues, Popup baloons galore, as well as a lot of unwanted FLUFF....
This of course is all IMH"P"O.. :)

TimC
03-25-2005, 09:49 AM
Wow you guys really like Norton don't you. ;)
It certainly is slow and I wouldn't put it on my audio or video machines, but for a machine that lives life on the web, it seems to me better than being without by an order of magnitude.

Fortunately the problem is now fixed. IE went belly up shortly after I posted the question and on restart everything was back to normal. :)

Regards
Tim

snapper
03-25-2005, 09:53 AM
I agree, that Norton internet security is bad, and a resource hog, and tough to get rid of :mad:

Leadfoot
03-25-2005, 10:00 AM
IE went belly up Tim
Not at all fond of IE either.. Microsoft has enough popularity and cash.
Not to mention it's full of bugs and security risks. But that's just me..

Tony

Jay Q
03-25-2005, 01:11 PM
Tim,

FWIW, I use the combo of Firefox and NOD32 which provides a very secure Net experience that doesn't bog down my PC. I had Norton for years, and after numerous problems, finally got sick of it. I haven't encountered a single prob with NOD32 after about 5 months of use. Some complain that NOD isn't very intuitive, and to some extent, I'd agree. But it's a lot like SAW... it's a trade-off I'm willing to make because the pros far outweigh the cons.

Jay

Pedro Itriago
03-25-2005, 01:29 PM
Also got fed up with Norton. Those were fun years when it worked good since win3.1.

Not found any replacements yet for AV, but I switched almost all my browsing with opera. There are still some sites that I need to use IE like banking, etc., but opera is set as my default browser

SoundSuite
03-25-2005, 06:51 PM
The only thing Norton I'll use is my Ghost 2001 on a boot floppy :D

ffarrell
03-26-2005, 11:24 AM
Wow you guys really like Norton don't you. ;)

Regards
TimI liked Norton at 2 place in my life,

1. when it was a DOS only util.
2. on the honeymooners

:D
thanks
fvf