PDA

View Full Version : Wide Screen Monitors and SAW

Bruce Callaway
12-28-2013, 11:36 PM
I was wondering whether anyone here has tried using one of the new wide screen higher resolution monitors with SAW? For example, 29 inch montors with 21:9 2560 x 1080 resolution. Dell now has a 30 inch 16:10 ratio with 2560 x 1600 resolution.

I am wondering whether you get more of the console look with these monitors using the Z monitor. I would like that :)

Bob L
12-29-2013, 02:37 PM
You can create all kinds of nice F-Key views with that much screen real estate... give it a try.

Bob L

Bruce Callaway
12-29-2013, 03:54 PM
You can create all kinds of nice F-Key views with that much screen real estate... give it a try.

Bob L
I use the F keys a lot Bob however the sizing of the Z mixers is fixed. I use two 22 inch monitors with a lot of screen real estate and can get nearly all channels across both using the F Mixer. However I would like to get more of the Z Mixer on screen perhaps similar to the F mixer. However its size on the screen does not alter no matter what I do so I can only get a portion of it. I was just wondering if greater display resolution would help?

RBIngraham
12-29-2013, 08:13 PM
It is pretty basic really. The more pixels the screens can display, the smaller everything gets and hence you can fit more of it on a display.

So yes you should be able to fit more channels of Z Mixer on your screens. The size of the Z mixer is a fixed pixel count, it is not proportional to your screen size.

I have two HD resolution monitors on my SAC system when I have the space. You can fit a lot of channel strips on there. Although I don't use the Z mixer all that often myself.

Bob L
12-29-2013, 10:07 PM
The pixel detail of the views is fixed, but you can stretch more channels side by side of the Z Mixer on a larger monitor.

Bob L

Tim Miskimon
12-30-2013, 05:05 PM
I was wondering whether anyone here has tried using one of the new wide screen higher resolution monitors with SAW? For example, 29 inch montors with 21:9 2560 x 1080 resolution. Dell now has a 30 inch 16:10 ratio with 2560 x 1600 resolution.

I am wondering whether you get more of the console look with these monitors using the Z monitor. I would like that :)

I've been using a 28 inch screen with Saw for about 7 years - I love it.
I can fit so much stuff on the screen and setting up the F keys is great.
The only negative thing is the long throw mouse moves but it's worth it to me.

brettbrandon
01-01-2014, 10:50 PM
The new 4K UHD monitors coming out have a resolution of 3840 X 2160.:D
You can Google "4K UHD".

http://4k-monitors.com/

Brett

soundchicken
01-02-2014, 03:40 AM
holy pixel overload batman!

can you imagine what a W mixer would look like @ that resolution?:eek:

RBIngraham
01-02-2014, 05:49 PM
One thing I would keep in mind if I was shopping around for this kind of thing is that not all graphics controllers are going to be capable of that high of a resolution. I suspect the ones built into the motherboard in paticular might max out before they get that high. So it's something you definetly would want to double check. Of course as long as you have a card slot, a modest graphic card that could handle that probably wouldn't set you back too much.

Bruce Callaway
01-02-2014, 08:19 PM

can you imagine what a W mixer would look like @ that resolution?:eek: I want one....

Dave Labrecque
01-02-2014, 09:22 PM

can you imagine what a W mixer would look like @ that resolution?:eek:

Yeah, way too small. Unless you use a big enough screen. Then it's way too big. ;)

Seriously, isn't there a point at which you've just got too much console in front of you, regardless of the size of the monitor? :confused:

DominicPerry
01-03-2014, 08:31 AM
Seriously, isn't there a point at which you've just got too much console in front of you, regardless of the size of the monitor? :confused:

Nope!

Big monitors. Big Console. What's not to like?!

Dave Labrecque
01-03-2014, 10:45 AM
Nope!

Big monitors. Big Console. What's not to like?!

:)

I actually thought of the big-iron consoles when I wrote that. I guess the difference for me is that I think it'd be totally cool to glide across the room to get my hands on faders 88 to 96 (despite giving up any hope of being in "the sweet spot"), but making the same wheeled journey just to be able to look at that side of my monitor screen -- not so much. ;)

DominicPerry
01-03-2014, 11:27 AM
:)

I actually thought of the big-iron consoles when I wrote that. I guess the difference for me is that I think it'd be totally cool to glide across the room to get my hands on faders 88 to 96 (despite giving up any hope of being in "the sweet spot"), but making the same wheeled journey just to be able to look at that side of my monitor screen -- not so much. ;)

I agree. I just love huge consoles. And huge monitors - I think that room I stole the photo of is probably one big sweet spot (I'm not too bothered about stereo, but I do like a good frequency response).
I think that having the F-mixer and Z-mixer in multiples of 8 or 12 or 24 is handy - it makes finding the channel I'm after easier than less familiar multiples. 24 is clearly perfect - being 3x8 and 2x12.

Dominic