PDA

View Full Version : Feature request

Dingo
06-21-2004, 03:01 PM
Bob,
Would it be possible to insert a plugin from the window that lists all of the plugins by double clicking it, rather than selecting it, then clicking add? It seems like it would be a more intuitive (for me at least) way to do this. Thanks,
Dave

Craig Allen
06-21-2004, 03:15 PM
The problem with doing it this way is where would you patch the plugin? To the pre-feder, post-fader, or final resolution insert? That's why you have to chose 'Add'. My vote would be for drag and drop functionality for effects - you drag them to whatever window you want.

Dingo
06-21-2004, 03:45 PM
excellent point. Maybe a setup more like other DAWs where each list is accessed from insert points on the channel strip?

AudioAstronomer
06-21-2004, 03:47 PM
I really like the way it is! That's all I have to say.

Setup an F-key for "effects adding" like I have, and it's smooth as silk imho.

Bob L
06-21-2004, 04:09 PM
Robert is correct... set up an F-Key for Fx Patching... its definitely the way to go...

My default F-Keys use F8 I belive as a concept for you... setup the FXChoices list, opened up pretty good so lots of plugs are visible... then the Pre Patch and Pst Patch windows... and maybe even the Final Res Window, although most don't use that...

Press the F-Key when you want to do Fx and all views you need are visible and present... you also gain a bonus, if any of the mixer views are visible, by clicking in a mixer view and rolling the wheel mouse you get to see all patched plugs roll by as the windows chase the mixer view.

Obviously, double-clicking from the Choices list is no good, because we have three possible destinations for the patch... unlike the old SAW programs.

Bob L

Yura
06-21-2004, 04:27 PM
He!
Dingo,
it's not a future, it's now!
I can use MacroToolWorks
http://www.pitrinec.com/downloads.htm

and make makros of any kinds for SAW. (thanx to Steve for linking me)
for instance, Ctrl+Shift+1 - for adding to pre-patch, Ctrl+Shift+2 - for pst-patch... there are some tips. but all works!

AudioAstronomer
06-21-2004, 04:46 PM
Steve or Yura, can you explain this software and concept?

I really love using just my keyboard (no mouse).. so this would be wonderful. The less mouse, the happier I am.

Bob L
06-21-2004, 04:51 PM
Robert,

You are probably gonna have a heck of time trying to eliminate the mouse for moving around and navigating in SAWStudio... no matter what, it still is the fastest and most powerful way to access hundreds of different commands and positioning within a complex environment like a digital editor. :)

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
06-21-2004, 04:57 PM
Robert,

You are probably gonna have a heck of time trying to eliminate the mouse for moving around and navigating in SAWStudio... no matter what, it still is the fastest and most powerful way to access hundreds of different commands and positioning within a complex environment like a digital editor. :)

Bob L

Ah but Bob, I am ever so much determined when my mind is set to something :) I am currently about to purchase a Wacom tablet for my hobby of digital painting... and it works very nicely as a more "comfortable" and advanced mouse as well. Ive bee researching alternative brands, but wacom are top notch and come with Painter 8 :)

Look into it, it is a very neat thing to use for normally control of windows interfacing.

My aversion to mice is just to mice, I still love throwing cursors around the screen!

Bob L
06-21-2004, 04:59 PM
We have one of the large Wacom tablets here and Painter 8 which is awesome... but as a mouse replacement... don't care for it... you will find that you truly have to move the pen all the way to each location and corner and so forth to access menus and position commands... I find it to be more cumbersome than just giving in to a good wheel mouse and getting back to work. :)

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
06-21-2004, 05:02 PM
I use the wacom as a mouse replacement all the time elsewhere and I love it hehe. I am used to large arm strokes after spending much time as a percussionist and painter on very large medium's....

to each their own :)

mghtx
06-21-2004, 05:12 PM
Another vote for keeping it the way it is. (the fx patching)

Bob L
06-21-2004, 07:33 PM
Robert,

Well then, the Wacom may just be your perfect ticket...

Now if you can get them to make a 12 foot Wacom, you could stretch it out in front of you and paint mixer channels on it and feel right at home. :)

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
06-21-2004, 07:38 PM
Robert,

Well then, the Wacom may just be your perfect ticket...

Now if you can get them to make a 12 foot Wacom, you could stretch it out in front of you and paint mixer channels on it and feel right at home. :)

Bob L

HA :) The reason i dont like mice is because of the small movements that makes such large cursor movements. I like things in 1:1 proportion when Im controlling an interface :) I have my mouse sensitivity incredibly LOW as it is, with a large "mousepad" to facilitate comfortable movement for myself. I picked up this habit when doing murals in college, working on large tablets in CAD software which required big swift arm movements. Then actually painting over the CAD layout by hand with more long arm strokes... this all while getting a degree in jazz percussion and upright bass, with more long swift arm movements. hehe

Theres supposedly going to be, or is, a wacom with a OLCD layover which turns it into an amazing traditional-style "touchscreen". Ive yet to see this though, would be nice :)

Whatcha usin the wacom for there? just curious :)

Bob L
06-21-2004, 07:44 PM
Jeanne is starting to use it with Painter to do some portions of special logo designs and website graphic elements that are based more on freehand style painting and drawing.

She will then merge these elements into her incredible graphic and photo work that she is becoming known for in the world of Website design.

Check out her awesome portfolio at www.NextOfQuinn.com (http://www.nextofquinn.com/)

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
06-21-2004, 07:50 PM
Jeanne is starting to use it with Painter to do some portions of special logo designs and website graphic elements that are based more on freehand style painting and drawing.

She will then merge these elements into her incredible graphic and photo work that she is becoming known for in the world of Website design.

Check out her awesome portfolio at www.NextOfQuinn.com (http://www.nextofquinn.com/)

Bob L

Im well aware of the portfolio. I am looking forward to most likely having her design this studio's website in, I beleive our discussions came to, October? Im still putting things together though :)

Yura
06-22-2004, 06:15 AM
Jeanne is a women?1? :confused:
I never new :confused: very bad oriented in english names...

Will remember it on the 8 March with my flowers!

MMP
06-22-2004, 02:21 PM
Picture here:

http://www.nextofquinn.com/meet_your_designer.htm

MM

bertie
06-22-2004, 02:34 PM
Picture here:

http://www.nextofquinn.com/meet_your_designer.htm

MM

Jesus!!!

She Is Awesome :) :) :) and i'm so in love now :D