PDA

View Full Version : SAC Console Naming Question

mojogil
01-10-2014, 06:05 AM
One of my biggest personal challenges with SAC, specifically with regards to monitor consoles, is the name/label strip at the top. I like to set Monitor 1 as the master monitor, which is not patched to an output, and then patch the other monitor consoles post dynamics from the master. My monitor 1, which has the members name in the label, is actually monitor 2. This screws me up sometimes. Is there any way to delete the associated monitor number in the label and just have the output channel name/label at the top?

Butch Bos
01-10-2014, 06:37 AM
One of my biggest personal challenges with SAC, specifically with regards to monitor consoles, is the name/label strip at the top. I like to set Monitor 1 as the master monitor, which is not patched to an output, and then patch the other monitor consoles post dynamics from the master. My monitor 1, which has the members name in the label, is actually monitor 2. This screws me up sometimes. Is there any way to delete the associated monitor number in the label and just have the output channel name/label at the top?
+1

Butch

JeremyJo
01-10-2014, 08:28 AM
+1

Bob L
01-10-2014, 08:29 AM
No.

Bob L

mojogil
01-10-2014, 09:56 AM
Would it be difficult to make it so? Or make a "master" specific monitor?

Bob L
01-10-2014, 03:24 PM
Monitor 1 can be used as a master and you can tap the rest of the mixers from that, instead of FOH.

Hard to believe the numbers bother anyone... I actually like the number reference as well as a label for each one.

Makes it easy to reference if you use the keyboard for quick monitor mixer switching.

Bob L

Butch Bos
01-10-2014, 09:26 PM
Monitor 1 can be used as a master and you can tap the rest of the mixers from that, instead of FOH.

Hard to believe the numbers bother anyone... I actually like the number reference as well as a label for each one.

Makes it easy to reference if you use the keyboard for quick monitor mixer switching.

Bob L
Yes BUT then we have to remember mix 1 is actually 2 mix2 is 3 etc Not sure how it could be made any better so I will just have to never have a mix 1 and start all stage setups at mix2 mix3 etc

Butch

PS monitor view:D

davidss1
01-10-2014, 09:34 PM
Yes BUT then we have to remember mix 1 is actually 2 mix2 is 3 etc Not sure how it could be made any better so I will just have to never have a mix 1 and start all stage setups at mix2 mix3 etc

Butch

PS monitor view:D

you could use any of the mixers as a 'master',,,assign mon 24 as taps to foh mix, then tap mon 1/2/3 etc from 24

Bob L
01-10-2014, 10:20 PM
No... taps can only come from FOH and mixer 1.

I'm not sure what the confusion is with the mixer numbers... it is not something that should be a problem at all... especially if you label your mixers for each performer... who cares what number it is.

Bob L

davidss1
01-10-2014, 10:36 PM

I'm not sure what the confusion is with the mixer numbers... it is not something that should be a problem at all... especially if you label your mixers for each performer... who cares what number it is.

Bob L

sorry,,i am mistaken. feel free to delete that post to save confusion

Butch Bos
01-11-2014, 07:59 AM

Bob L
A and B list bands normally have stage plots with mon mixes labled 1,2,3 etc and their sound guy will call out by numbers when setting monitors .
Not a real big deal I just do not use a master mon with them. But in festival situations having a master mon mix is a great help when in a hurry setting up many local or regional bands.
A good view with all mixes showed for each ch (monitor view) would be the best
Maybe a way to suppress the mix numbers when we add a label to the outputs ?? in monitor view

Butch

Bob L
01-11-2014, 08:04 AM
I can consider that... but it would be just as easy to label the mixes with the referenced number from the bands that list them as 1, 2, 3 etc...

So even as it is now... label the mixers as Mon Mix 1, Mon Mix 2... etc and your reference when they call out numbers will remain intact.

Bob L

Brent Evans
01-11-2014, 08:59 AM
I can consider that... but it would be just as easy to label the mixes with the referenced number from the bands that list them as 1, 2, 3 etc...

So even as it is now... label the mixers as Mon Mix 1, Mon Mix 2... etc and your reference when they call out numbers will remain intact.

Bob L

The problem isn't labeling, it's mental. When you hear "mix 1" called out, your instinct is going to be to press "01" to get to that mix, not "02."

mojogil
01-11-2014, 09:24 AM
I do no Fkey the master monitor (Mon console 1). My f1 is actually monitor console 2, which is my monitor 1 for the band. That makes it easier, but the label still trips me up on occasion, and it would surely confuse someone less familiar. The ability to tap from Monitor 1 is great, one of the things I like about SAC, but it can make things a little confusing. I dont understand why, once you lable you monitor console (the output channel), that the default label number has to stay?

PhaseShifter
01-11-2014, 10:50 AM
You could easily have an AutoHotKey script running on the NumPad buttons so that when you press 1, it would go to monitor 2, etc.

Mattseymour
01-11-2014, 03:50 PM
Or use fkeys to switch mixers with f1 being monitor 2.

Peter O
01-12-2014, 06:04 AM
I had the same 'problem' when I first started using SAC. I chose to make my 'monitor mix number 1' = 'SAC mixer 11', my 'mon mix 2' = 'SAC mixer 12' and so on. As long as I have less than 9 monitor mixes I can always push '1' + 'mon mix number' to get to the SAC mixer I need.

Later I made a AHK script that made '0' on my keypad select FOH mixer, ',' selects monitor mixer 1 (master monitor mixer), '1' selects monitor mixer 11 (monitor mix 1 in my head), '2' selects monitor mixer 12 (monitor mix 2 in my head) and so on.

These little things actually do matter when using SAC in a stressful situation at a gig with limited time to do sound check or during a show!

Butch Bos
01-12-2014, 08:11 AM
I had the same 'problem' when I first started using SAC. I chose to make my 'monitor mix number 1' = 'SAC mixer 11', my 'mon mix 2' = 'SAC mixer 12' and so on. As long as I have less than 9 monitor mixes I can always push '1' + 'mon mix number' to get to the SAC mixer I need.

Later I made a AHK script that made '0' on my keypad select FOH mixer, ',' selects monitor mixer 1 (master monitor mixer), '1' selects monitor mixer 11 (monitor mix 1 in my head), '2' selects monitor mixer 12 (monitor mix 2 in my head) and so on.

These little things actually do matter when using SAC in a stressful situation at a gig with limited time to do sound check or during a show!
Not a bad idea at all:cool: I think I will have to borrow your idea

Butch