PDA

View Full Version : Multitrack freeze after CSG error

Gubbo
01-22-2014, 07:09 AM
Here's a problem I've never seen before...

After compiling a CD with 27 songs I marked all tracks using CSG (JMS Cue Sheet Generator), entered all data like song titles, ISRC etc and went for Process to FX modules. AFter the usual screens from CSG a message popped up complaining that I have a section marked which is not the whole project. I am adviced to remove the selection or select the whole project - only I have no selection...

Anyway, CSG quits out and from that point I can move the mouse around, but nothing happens when I right-click or press spacebar. Only after a restart of SS I can play again, but CSG refuse to do any work. Something seems to have become corrupt in this project.

Of course I can try to remove CSG and re-enter it, but then I have to input alla data for all 27 songs again... As I'm lazy by nature I take a chance here - maybe someone knows how to fix this easily?

(Apart from this one incident I have to say that CSG is a really nice tool! I always use CSG and then feed the cue sheet to Sonoris DDP Creator for the extra touch and output to CD or to a DDP file - works really well!).

I run SAWStudio Light (latest) on Win XP.

Dave Labrecque
01-22-2014, 07:37 AM
Here's a problem I've never seen before...

After compiling a CD with 27 songs I marked all tracks using CSG (JMS Cue Sheet Generator), entered all data like song titles, ISRC etc and went for Process to FX modules. AFter the usual screens from CSG a message popped up complaining that I have a section marked which is not the whole project. I am adviced to remove the selection or select the whole project - only I have no selection...

Anyway, CSG quits out and from that point I can move the mouse around, but nothing happens when I right-click or press spacebar. Only after a restart of SS I can play again, but CSG refuse to do any work. Something seems to have become corrupt in this project.

Of course I can try to remove CSG and re-enter it, but then I have to input alla data for all 27 songs again... As I'm lazy by nature I take a chance here - maybe someone knows how to fix this easily?

(Apart from this one incident I have to say that CSG is a really nice tool! I always use CSG and then feed the cue sheet to Sonoris DDP Creator for the extra touch and output to CD or to a DDP file - works really well!).

I run SAWStudio Light (latest) on Win XP.

Are you absolutely sure there's no marked area? Select the MT and hit the C key to be sure. If the marked length display reads zero, then you should be good.

I think when I've received such warnings in the past, the solution was to mark the entire project from start to finish. Maybe beyond the last index, just to be sure. If I remember right, sometimes CSG doesn't like it if you don't mark the MT. I don't recall if that bug has been fixed or not.

You can save the csg data to a .csg file (click on the DISC button), then load it back into a blank CSG session. At least you have that work-around.

Gubbo
01-22-2014, 08:47 AM
Yes, I'm sure there's no marked area, the display reads "--.--.--" and I tried "C".

I also tried marking the whole project, but CSG still fails.

I'll try to give CSG a fresh start by saving to a csg file (I didn't know about that option) and "re-patch" it.

Thanks,

/Per

TotalSonic
01-22-2014, 10:12 AM
What you need to do is prior to doing a Build to FX with CSG is mark on the multitrack at 0:00 with the B key and mark at the END index point you have set in CSG with the E key. That should fix the problem for you.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Gubbo
01-22-2014, 01:03 PM
Found it!! :D

When checking the end pointer in CSG - zooming in max - I could see that it was slightly after the last region in my CD project - I moved the end pointer to slightly before the end of the region, and now all works fine!

(Why was this possible? I had lots of regions on several tracks, also after last playable region. This made it possible to - by mistake - place the CSG end pointer outside the actual CD... And when I disabled all tracks except the final one before running CSG, of course it got confused. This was also the reason why it didn't help marking all regions - the end pointer was still outside the marked area.)

You learn a lot by making mistakes, and this time I also learned about the csg file option, nice!

Thanks all,

/Per

Dave Labrecque
01-22-2014, 03:32 PM
Found it!! :D

When checking the end pointer in CSG - zooming in max - I could see that it was slightly after the last region in my CD project - I moved the end pointer to slightly before the end of the region, and now all works fine!

(Why was this possible? I had lots of regions on several tracks, also after last playable region. This made it possible to - by mistake - place the CSG end pointer outside the actual CD... And when I disabled all tracks except the final one before running CSG, of course it got confused. This was also the reason why it didn't help marking all regions - the end pointer was still outside the marked area.)

You learn a lot by making mistakes, and this time I also learned about the csg file option, nice!

Thanks all,

/Per

Interesting. So, are you saying that the final CD index marker has to be within the playable session? That is, at or before the last region entry boundary of the session? I don't think I knew that. But it kinda makes sense, since the cursor stops moving (playing back) when it reaches the end of the last region entry in the MT.

This could explain all the times I chose not to mark the MT at all, and CSG complained. Though I'm not sure the prompt is really optimized for this condition. Perhaps the verbiage should be tweaked for this condition.

Gubbo
01-23-2014, 12:41 AM
Yes, and actually it does make sense.

I agree that the error message is a bit unclear the first time you see it, but I doubt that JMS will make any changes to CSG - last update is from 2007... If he still feels to code a bit I have a few enhancements that could be really useful.

Still it is strange that once you get the error CSG makes SS unusable until you restart it...

Dave Labrecque
01-23-2014, 06:32 AM
Yes, and actually it does make sense.

I agree that the error message is a bit unclear the first time you see it, but I doubt that JMS will make any changes to CSG - last update is from 2007... If he still feels to code a bit I have a few enhancements that could be really useful.

Still it is strange that once you get the error CSG makes SS unusable until you restart it...

Agreed on all points. At the very least there oughta be a 'trap' for this condition, so that it doesn't crash the session. And a specific prompt for it would be preferred, too, so the user knows what's going on. Jon was great with the development in the past; I'm sure he'd be all over this. But, alas, I think he has moved on to other things.

But now that we know what's going on, at least we should be better off. ;)

Thanks for figuring this out. Even if only for my sake.

Dave Labrecque
01-23-2014, 10:49 AM
It could be as simple as putting one of Bob's 'Blank' files at the end of that track before setting the CSG parameters.

Yup. Once you know 'the rules', you're golden. :) I hope. :o