PDA

View Full Version : SoundFile Output

mr_es335
01-27-2014, 06:31 PM
Hello,

Is there anyway to either disable the SoundFile output or to permanently change it to another output? I do not use this feature at all.

RBIngraham
01-27-2014, 08:59 PM
I think you could assign it to an unused output and then save your preferences.... maybe... just a guess.

Bob L
01-28-2014, 11:57 AM
If you don't use it, there is no reason to be concerned about it... it is not active unless you use it.

Bob L

mr_es335
01-28-2014, 05:20 PM
Hello,

However, I want to use SAW to playback audio files - using Control Commands in SAW to control patch changes in SAC.

Sometimes, when I accidently douple-click on a wave file in a track, the SoundFile window pops-up - with the audio output very loud for the SoundFile view.

Any ideas?

Dave Labrecque
01-28-2014, 06:05 PM
Hello,

However, I want to use SAW to playback audio files - using Control Commands in SAW to control patch changes in SAC.

Sometimes, when I accidently douple-click on a wave file in a track, the SoundFile window pops-up - with the audio output very loud for the SoundFile view.

Any ideas?

Playback shouldn't start unless you hit the spacebar or right click after accidentally double-clicking.

You could slow down your double-click speed setting in your mouse control panel.

Assign your SF view output to an unused hardware out and be sure it's not connected or muted or...

mr_es335
01-28-2014, 07:47 PM
Hello,

Assign your SF view output to an unused hardware out and be sure it's not connected or muted or...I guess there is no way to make this permanent?

The other option is to enable "Disable Right-Mouse-Btn Engine Toggle".

UpTilDawn
01-28-2014, 08:12 PM
Playback shouldn't start unless you hit the spacebar or right click after accidentally double-clicking.

You could slow down your double-click speed setting in your mouse control panel.

Assign your SF view output to an unused hardware out and be sure it's not connected or muted or...

Double-clicking a region in the MT (what es335 described as double-clicking a wave file in a track) brings up the region in SoundFile view and immediately begins playing..... does not require spacebar to activate playback.

slowing down the mouse double-click affects its use in every other program and/or mouse function on the computer..... not a great workaround if your mouse is already set to work properly in every other Windows operation.
(I know this as an inconvenience and an annoyance, but live with it, because I need to use my mouse for more things than just SAW).

Is it possible to assign the SF view to an unused output? Doesn't that cause an error message to pop up in SAW? (I'll have to experiment with that....... although I often use SF view and wouldn't want that for my own uses).

I often get an input is assigned to an unused output errors when switching from one mix template to another and I happen to have my hardware configured different for some reason, or I'm at a different PC, but need the particular mix template setup and forget to check my output assignments.

Bob L
01-28-2014, 08:25 PM
Double-clciking a region into the SF view from either the MT or Regions view does not start playback automatically.

You can also simply disable the Double-Click Transfer To SF View option in the MultiTrack menu.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
01-28-2014, 08:32 PM
Hello,
I guess there is no way to make this permanent?

From the Help File's Sound File View section:

Out

[Left-Clicking] the Out zone will display a menu of Out Devices, allowing you to direct the SoundFile View playback to any available out device. This setting will save with the preferences as a default. (emphasis added)

The other option is to enable "Disable Right-Mouse-Btn Engine Toggle".

There's that. :)

Dave Labrecque
01-28-2014, 08:41 PM
Double-clicking a region in the MT (what es335 described as double-clicking a wave file in a track) brings up the region in SoundFile view and immediately begins playing..... does not require spacebar to activate playback.

That's not how it works on my machine. Are you sure you're not thinking of a right-click on an entry in a library view or the regions view, which will open the sound file and start playback?

slowing down the mouse double-click affects its use in every other program and/or mouse function on the computer..... not a great workaround if your mouse is already set to work properly in every other Windows operation.
(I know this as an inconvenience and an annoyance, but live with it, because I need to use my mouse for more things than just SAW).Agreed and me, too.

Is it possible to assign the SF view to an unused output? Doesn't that cause an error message to pop up in SAW? (I'll have to experiment with that....... although I often use SF view and wouldn't want that for my own uses).

I often get an input is assigned to an unused output errors when switching from one mix template to another and I happen to have my hardware configured different for some reason, or I'm at a different PC, but need the particular mix template setup and forget to check my output assignments.I guess it depends if by 'unused' we mean non-existent (grayed out) or just not utilized (exists, but is not being assigned to by anything for the moment).

Dave Labrecque
01-28-2014, 08:42 PM
You can also simply disable the Double-Click Transfer To SF View option in the MultiTrack menu.

Bob L

Never even knew this option existed. Or maybe I just forgot. :o

Ian Alexander
01-28-2014, 09:26 PM
That's not how it works on my machine. Are you sure you're not thinking of a right-click on an entry in a library view or the regions view, which will open the sound file and start playback?

Agreed and me, too.

I guess it depends if by 'unused' we mean non-existent (grayed out) or just not utilized (exists, but is not being assigned to by anything for the moment).
If you're using a two track interface, there may not be any unused outputs.

mr_es335
01-28-2014, 09:42 PM
Hello,

You can also simply disable the Double-Click Transfer To SF View option in the MultiTrack menu.Bob LThanks, Bob...that one should do the trick.

The Help File's Sound File View section does work too. Thanks, Dave.

UpTilDawn
01-29-2014, 06:59 AM
Double-clciking a region into the SF view from either the MT or Regions view does not start playback automatically.

Bob L

Seems to be the way it works at the moment, when I tested it.
Wonder what it is I was thinking of.... something like that has happened before. :confused:

...You can also simply disable the Double-Click Transfer To SF View option in the MultiTrack menu.

Bob L

Didn't realize there was that option. I'll have to see if that works for me, although at the moment I'm having trouble imagining how I'd get a region to show up in SF view when I need it, if I check that option to avoid the accidental double-click.

Dave Labrecque
01-29-2014, 07:23 AM
If you're using a two track interface, there may not be any unused outputs.

Or 23 of 'em, depending on what you mean by 'unused'. ;)

Dave Labrecque
01-29-2014, 07:25 AM
Didn't realize there was that option. I'll have to see if that works for me, although at the moment I'm having trouble imagining how I'd get a region to show up in SF view when I need it, if I check that option to avoid the accidental double-click.

T key. :) It's funny how much we forget when we don't use it for years and years.

Richard Rupert
01-29-2014, 07:55 AM
T key. :) It's funny how much we forget when we don't use it for years and years.
I've had my software set up like this for years... I had been a victim of "accidental double clicking" too many times! :)

Ian Alexander
01-29-2014, 08:50 AM
Or 23 of 'em, depending on what you mean by 'unused'. ;)

On my SS system, I can't assign the SF View output to a device that doesn't exist. They're all greyed out. :)

Dave Labrecque
01-29-2014, 09:26 AM
On my SS system, I can't assign the SF View output to a device that doesn't exist. They're all greyed out. :)

Right. Same deal on my current setup with my MBox 2 Mini. :)

UpTilDawn
01-29-2014, 12:12 PM

Well, there's an all caps DUH! for ya! :rolleyes:
Been using that as long as it's been a feature, I'm sure.

Bob L
01-29-2014, 12:12 PM
Use the T key (Transfer) to transfer the region into the SF view... and back again.

Bob L

UpTilDawn
01-29-2014, 01:31 PM
Use the T key (Transfer) to transfer the region into the SF view... and back again.

Bob L

I'll never forget again! :D

RBIngraham
01-29-2014, 05:32 PM

Well obviously some folks only have 2 ins and 2 outs. But a lot of interfaces have things like an SPDIF Output that isn't used very often. Or at least I rarely use it. If you set that up to be used in the audio set up, then SAW can send audio data to it but since nothing is plugged into that output, it doesn't go anywhere.

This is also why I often use the SAC-SAW link even when I don't really need/want to do any mixing inside SAC. It allows me to set up many virtual outputs from SAW into SAC that I can then mute and such as I want.

It also allows me to render to multiple .wav file simultaneously when you use the mixdown function. SAW will only let you render outputs that are assigned to a hardware output, which is a hassle when you're in your home studio and you have a 4x4 audio interface. So I use the SAC-SAW link and then I can use all the outputs in SAW and I can render out stem mixes with ease.

Dave Labrecque
01-29-2014, 09:21 PM
Well, there's an all caps DUH! for ya! :rolleyes:
Been using that as long as it's been a feature, I'm sure.

Well, then why did you ask about how to get the MT region into the SF view without the double-click? Just didn't make the mental connection? Is it so second nature that you weren't remembering it?

Dave Labrecque
01-29-2014, 09:29 PM
Well obviously some folks only have 2 ins and 2 outs. But a lot of interfaces have things like an SPDIF Output that isn't used very often. Or at least I rarely use it. If you set that up to be used in the audio set up, then SAW can send audio data to it but since nothing is plugged into that output, it doesn't go anywhere.

This is also why I often use the SAC-SAW link even when I don't really need/want to do any mixing inside SAC. It allows me to set up many virtual outputs from SAW into SAC that I can then mute and such as I want.

It also allows me to render to multiple .wav file simultaneously when you use the mixdown function. SAW will only let you render outputs that are assigned to a hardware output, which is a hassle when you're in your home studio and you have a 4x4 audio interface. So I use the SAC-SAW link and then I can use all the outputs in SAW and I can render out stem mixes with ease.

Interesting. I've often wondered why SAW needs a physical out for each rendered output file. Just not part of the original vision and design, I guess.

This reminds me of one of the downsides of ASIO. You can't mix and match various interface devices within a single host. In the old days I'd assign the SF view to my mobo's integrated audio output, which would give me separate level control AND total, instant flexibility when playing files of different sample rates. It was sweet. Nowadays if I'm working in a 44.1 session and double-click a 48 KHz sound effect into the SF view, it's a big PITA. First it starts playing in silence, then SAW does a forced stop. Then the audio driver switches sample rates, then I can play it. Not too good for MT/SF A/B-ing. Returning to playing from the MT is the same PITA all over again. I know it's extra bad because of my MBox driver. I seem to recall that with my Digiface, the only hassle would be the wait for the sample rate change in the hardware. Still not as cool as the good ol' days, though.

UpTilDawn
01-29-2014, 10:19 PM
Well, then why did you ask about how to get the MT region into the SF view without the double-click? Just didn't make the mental connection? Is it so second nature that you weren't remembering it?

That's what I was saying DUH about...... been using that one, but forgot about it. When I first read Bob's suggestion about turning off the double-click to SF view, I was trying to figure out how I'd bring up the SF view after that and completely drew a blank.... HA! :eek: :rolleyes:

I do use it quite a bit already, but it just didn't connect.

:)

Carl G.
02-09-2014, 06:35 AM
Never even knew this option existed. Or maybe I just forgot. :o

Use use "T" exclusively.... very easy toggle for things like quick access to renaming regions.

Carl G.
02-09-2014, 06:43 AM
This reminds me of one of the downsides of ASIO. You can't mix and match various interface devices within a single host. ...Nowadays if I'm working in a 44.1 session and double-click a 48 KHz sound effect into the SF view, it's a big PITA. First it starts playing in silence, then SAW does a forced stop.
I run into that a lot when doing audio post for video where SFX is at 44.1Khz (and would be vice-versa if converting SFX to 48Khz for a 44.1 audio session).
It makes auditioning SFX impossible! (in one scenario or the other)

Anyone - ideas on a fix?

Dave Labrecque
02-09-2014, 12:45 PM
I run into that a lot when doing audio post for video where SFX is at 44.1Khz (and would be vice-versa if converting SFX to 48Khz for a 44.1 audio session).
It makes auditioning SFX impossible! (in one scenario or the other)

Anyone - ideas on a fix?

EXACTLY. A couple years ago I bought Sound Ideas' "The General" library when they had a deal going. I chose 48 KHz as the sample rate and they sent it to me on a hard drive. My thinking was that would be the likely rate for audio post (for video) projects I'd be doing. Well, most of my work is still radio and other audio-only projects, where I'm at 44.1 KHz. And most of my other SFX are at 44.1. So, this is a real PITA since we all went ASIO.

Makes the old PT approach of SRC-ing incoming audio seem downright sensible (and dat ain't right). ;)

A similar option in SAW OR, preferably, independent MT/SFV audio driver assigning (mixed protocol-capable) would be a huge help in this regard.