PDA

View Full Version : SAC - SAW Link Help

jdabbott
02-01-2014, 07:07 AM
Guys,

1st off, I love this forum, great community here!
I have only been a SAC user for a month, but dig it so far.

Quick Background:
I am Production Director for a large multi-campus church. I purchased SAC to hopefully set up a more realistic training space for our audio volunteers to work on their skills outside of the auditoriums. I manage 6 different worship environments, all with digital consoles (AVID SC48, Yamaha M7, Presonus 24.4.2 & Behringer X32)

I choose SAC for its cost and routing capabilities, it rivals or surpasses the above mixers. We use some Waves plugins, which I have been able to work around with a vst wrapper.

The plan is to capture or weekend service multi-channel audio, load into SAW and play back in SAC and re-mix the weekend in a controlled environment, train people, evaluate, etc...sounds simple enough.

I have SAC set up with the routing the way I want it, FX Auxes, Sub Groups, Latched channels etc. I launch SAW (demo for now) enable SAC link, hit play. Nothing, no audio passes through. I then, in SAW, select "export mix data to SAC" and boom, I am hearing audio in SAC.

My issue is that "export mix data to SAC" over rides my setup in SAC. In fact, I can't even get to the returns or outputs by pressing the R or O buttons.
My layout is stored with an F-key, but nothing changes when pressed. Ironically, the monitor consoles show my layout correctly.

What am I missing here?
My desire is to simply playback audio from SAW into SAC. I need SAC to look and feel like I am using it in a show with the routing and groups the way I have them set up.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff Abbott

Paul Henry
02-01-2014, 07:38 AM
Check out this thread:

http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17185

Mattseymour
02-01-2014, 08:06 AM
I believe you just need to select the saw playback channel in sac. The saw channels come up as separate sources.

When you export the saw mix to sac you'll notice it does this for each channel in saw, but also replaces all your mix data.

The saw channels are only visible in sac when the link is established. It may only list channels that exist in the saw project, but I'm not sure about that.

jdabbott
02-01-2014, 08:20 AM
That was it, thanks guys!

dbarrow
02-03-2014, 03:32 PM
I use this all the time to "train" myself. I have several shows recorded that I can play back and mix through SAC, trying out different FX combinations, routing, parallel compression, etc. without troubling the band at a show. I have used this with one band to seriously hone the FX cues, with scenes to control large groups of settings with a single click. It works great and I don't have to waster other people's time (and ears) trying out different ideas for hours on end.