PDA

View Full Version : finally got my laptop.

mike_da_min
03-28-2005, 02:53 PM
I know you guys probably don't remember me, but I inquired about three weeks ago about which laptop to get. I finally got one for a steal off of EBAY. Below are the specs.

400VTX Specifications

System 400VTX
One Intel Pentium 4 2.0GHz -M CPU Processor side bus speed 400-MHz processor system bus

Level 2 cache 512 KB
Core logic Intel 852MG chipset
BIOS Phoenix BIOS 512-KB Flash ROM SMBIOS 2.3 support
512M Memory (type 200/266-MHz DDR RAM )
Memory expansion options Two 144-pin industry standard DDR-SODIMM sockets
1024 MB maximum system memory
No on-board memory

Video
Graphics controller Intel 852MG (chipset integrated)
LCD display panel 15.0-inch active matrix (TFT) LCD color display
Maximum panel resolution: 1024 × 768
Maximum color depth: 18-bit (262,144 colors)

External video Supports dual display and dual view

Communications
Modem features Integrated V.92/56K data/fax modem
10/100-Mbps Ethernet interface features Integrated IEEE 802.3 (10/100 BASE-TX) Ethernet interface
Wireless Ethernet interface features (factory installed option) Agere ORiNOCO IEEE 802.11b network card

Input/Output (I/O) ports

Two USB 2.0 (4-pin)
External monitor (VGA)
PC Card socket (Type II or Type III)

2 PCMCIA slots

Storage
30 G Hard (4200 rpm I think)
Super I/O controller NS PC87391 LPC super I/O controller
Disk drive controller
IEEE 1284 compliant parallel port
Memory card reader
DVD/CD-RW Combination Drive

$525.00

anywaze. my first thing is to get an external harddrive and a different battery preferably the long life ones that can run up to four hours. I am also thinking about doubling the memory to 1G. One thing I am stuck on is whether to get the full version of saw or sawlite. help me out on this one. I plan to do roughly 25-35 tracks. (mostly contemporary gospel music)

Below is a list of the other equipment i am looking to get:

audio technica 3035

Rme fireface 800

behringer ddx3216 mixer (i know, the mackie control is better, but for the month of april this joint is half of @599.00!!! just can't beat the price)

cad 7 piece drum mic set

event tr5 monitors

Do you guys have any other suggestions on what else i can buy or any software suggestions for my laptop to ensure highest quality performance

I am on a budget so stay away from names like nuemann, apogee, or mackie

thanks in advance for any suggestions
mike_da_minister

Naturally Digital
03-28-2005, 04:54 PM
Hi Mike,

Oh yeah, I remember. Welcome back.

Good deal on the laptop. Have you tried running the SAWStudio demo on it yet?

Well, I started with Lite and moved up to Full after a year or two. You could do the same. It depends whether you think you'll need the extra features or not. The additional mixer views are very useful and of course the extra I/O becomes necessary as the studio grows. You can always move up at a later date so you may consider going with Lite and putting the leftover $ toward a better mic. The AT 4050 is very nice IMO.

Personally, I would not bother getting a mixer. You shouldn't need it with the Fireface. You can drive your monitors directly and there is enough I/O that you should be able to handle all inputs/outputs with only an adapter box or two. Again, you can always get one later if you find you need it.

I would suggest putting your money toward the mic/speakers... You could certainly consider the Mackie 824's.

Don't forget to budget for some good headphones.