PDA

View Full Version : Remember a day when we were actually ON the List...

Carey Langille
03-21-2014, 04:22 PM
http://www.musicradar.com/us/tuition/tech/the-16-best-daw-software-apps-in-the-world-today-238905/1

:(

RBIngraham
03-21-2014, 05:51 PM
Yeah, but that was quite a while ago now, wasn't it. Shouldn't really surprise anyway I would think.

Although I certainly hope this particular listing wasn't a ranking. Is what became of Fruity Loops really that popular? I'm surprised ACID still makes the list to be honest. Sony hasn't done much with that in years now either.

Oh well, things change, just like always.

I remember when the software I was part of the development team for was used in almost every Broadway, west end and most regional theatres in the country and around the globe even. An upstart came in and kicked it's ass and now you'd be hard pressed to find anyone using it at all. Even I often use the other software. But the company I worked for didn't listen to their customers as well, didn't serve their needs as well and to top it off released a new version that was very buggy. Kiss of death...

PhaseShifter
03-21-2014, 06:33 PM
Remember a day when...

...AOL
...Palm
...Kodak
...Blockbuster
...Research In Motion
...Sears

RBIngraham
03-22-2014, 08:28 AM
Sears?

Just bought my washer and dryer there... we shop there on a regular basis, although admittedly it's mostly because of the Lands' End section. :)

Brent Evans
03-22-2014, 10:27 AM
Sears?

Just bought my washer and dryer there... we shop there on a regular basis, although admittedly it's mostly because of the Lands' End section. :)

+1... just got a 60" TV there for a client at a price way below anywhere else.

They are having to try really hard to remain relevant though. Many of the stores look dated and are very crowded, compared to others. That said, it's about the only place you can go and have a department store environment that actually has quality products in most of their departments. Try finding something like Craftsman tools at Wal-Mart, for instance.

Tim Miskimon
03-22-2014, 03:10 PM
I stopped caring about that list years ago...:)
As long as Saw works on the latest OS that's all that matters to me so when I up grade my computer I can keep working.
Some of the new stuff has some cool features but I really don't need them to get my work done.

sebastiandybing
03-23-2014, 06:03 AM
I guess saw is more in famaly with
Pyramix, sadie, fairlight and so on,

Carl G.
03-24-2014, 07:09 AM
http://www.musicradar.com/us/tuition/tech/the-16-best-daw-software-apps-in-the-world-today-238905/1

:(
SawStudio perfectly meets a variety of production needs here.
It's interesting to see how the non-technical group together to follow supposed ratings influenced by a paid advertising medium.

RBIngraham
03-24-2014, 08:22 AM
What's the paid advertising medium?

Dave Labrecque
03-24-2014, 08:27 AM
What's the paid advertising medium?

Internet advertising. Did you go the the site in the initial post, RBI?

RBIngraham
03-24-2014, 09:02 AM
Internet advertising. Did you go the the site in the initial post, RBI?

Yeah. All these kind of web sites have internet advertising. Just didn't really get the connection or what point Carl is trying to make.

Carl are you saying advertising effected the list? Yeah, not really a big shocker. But more likely if you don't advertise you won't even be considered for such lists. Not that I'd really take much stock in this list or most lists.

Edit: It should be pretty obvious that I went to the site and actually read thru the silly list since I actually mentioned some of the items on the list by name.. :-P

Dave Labrecque
03-24-2014, 12:02 PM
Yeah. All these kind of web sites have internet advertising. Just didn't really get the connection or what point Carl is trying to make.

Carl are you saying advertising effected the list? Yeah, not really a big shocker. But more likely if you don't advertise you won't even be considered for such lists. Not that I'd really take much stock in this list or most lists.

Edit: It should be pretty obvious that I went to the site and actually read thru the silly list since I actually mentioned some of the items on the list by name.. :-P

Sorry, I failed to look back at your posts. I'm old. I don't remember stuff before today. :o

Yes, the 'inluenced by' link isn't clear, here. Not in this case, anyway. Though, it can probably be assumed that marketing in general has a big impact on what shows up in such lists. If it's not on their radar, it's not going to show up in the list, no matter how great it may be.

RBIngraham
03-24-2014, 08:49 PM
Sorry, I failed to look back at your posts. I'm old. I don't remember stuff before today. :o

Yes, the 'inluenced by' link isn't clear, here. Not in this case, anyway. Though, it can probably be assumed that marketing in general has a big impact on what shows up in such lists. If it's not on their radar, it's not going to show up in the list, no matter how great it may be.

No worries!

I suspect I am not that far behind. :)

And I would agree. I am sure SAC doesn't get many mentions in magazines because Bob doesn't advertise and if you write reviews about such products, competitors that do pay for advertising often pitch a fit.

I doubt DAWs are much different. But I also don't think you can argue that SAW is far from being a popular DAW. Doesn't really mean anything in and of itself. I dislike PT no matter how many people seem to love it.

Dave Labrecque
03-25-2014, 07:42 AM
No worries!

I suspect I am not that far behind. :)

And I would agree. I am sure SAC doesn't get many mentions in magazines because Bob doesn't advertise and if you write reviews about such products, competitors that do pay for advertising often pitch a fit.

I doubt DAWs are much different. But I also don't think you can argue that SAW is far from being a popular DAW. Doesn't really mean anything in and of itself. I dislike PT no matter how many people seem to love it.

I don't know what 'popular DAW' might mean, but I would not be surprised if the compilers of any given list had not heard of SAW. Sadly.

Carl G.
03-27-2014, 04:41 AM
I don't know what 'popular DAW' might mean, but I would not be surprised if the compilers of any given list had not heard of SAW. Sadly.

Maybe they should change the name of the trade/e-trade magazine to:
"PaidRadar". :)

...with an NPR type post note: "Our thanks to the following list of supporters without whom this 'popularity project list' would be possible".

Microstudio
03-27-2014, 07:05 AM
O my goodness here is another one (http://www.thetoptens.com/best-daw-ever/)...people vote but in the end it will always be a personal thing ART and everything there is to do with it. My vote will always be what I think is best for me and I never vote ;)

I want to see a Top 10 for DAW's that will run on Win XP thur Win 8 in 2014 :cool:

Dave Labrecque
03-27-2014, 07:11 AM
O my goodness here is another one (http://www.thetoptens.com/best-daw-ever/)...people vote but in the end it will always be a personally thing ART and everything there is to do with it. My vote will always be what I think is best for me and I never vote ;)

I want to see a Top 10 for DAW's that will run on Win XP thur Win 8 in 2014 :cool:

What?

Microstudio
03-27-2014, 11:10 AM
What?

Common Dave you get what I am saying.

Craig Allen
03-27-2014, 12:56 PM
O my goodness here is another one (http://www.thetoptens.com/best-daw-ever/)...people vote but in the end it will always be a personal thing ART and everything there is to do with it. My vote will always be what I think is best for me and I never vote ;)

Is this English?

Dave Labrecque
03-27-2014, 08:32 PM
Common Dave you get what I am saying.

Kinda. Maybe. I'm pretty sure you can do better. Please don't prove me wrong.

Microstudio
03-28-2014, 03:36 PM
Ok let me try again...people vote on DAW's why because passion drives them. My passion is music not the DAW.

Dave Labrecque
03-29-2014, 07:47 PM
Ok let me try again...people vote on DAW's why because passion drives them. My passion is music not the DAW.

So, what's your favorite DAW? (kidding ;))