PDA

View Full Version : Help.....Need some input

UpTilDawn
03-28-2005, 08:50 PM
Hi all.

I've got a request to record a duo at a new facility here in town this coming weekend. They plan on recording drums and bass the first night, then guitar and vocal overdubs the next day.

The studio has this Behringer digital mixer (http://www.behringer.com/DDX3216/index.cfm?lang=ENG) and SawStudio..... not sure what all else as of yet. Wondering if anybody has opinions about this mixer........ any good?, difficult/easy to operate?..... I haven't used a hardware mixer in years and never with Saw.

The mixer is model #DDX3216.

Any input will be appreciated.

DanT

UpTilDawn
04-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Thought I'd post an update in case anybody's interested.

Everything went rather smoothly this weekend in spite of my fears about the Behringer mixer. The smooth flow and great recording results were mostly due to SawStudio, of course, that and how easy it is for me to get around it (the part of Saw I really know anyway... there's so much untapped power there still). That, and the fact that the studio pretty much had things hooked up in a way that I could work without getting flustered... although there were many things about it that were just plain hard to get used to.

The mixer is digital and automated. The automated part was nice for being able to store mixer settings, but along with the digital part came a rather pale, small screen which had menus that were pages, and pages long..... not something I enjoy at all, so I tended to keep my adjustments of the mixer to a bare minimum.

I suppose that since most of my recording with Saw has consisted of live, remote multi-track gigs and one-track-at-a-time personal recordings I've gotten quite used to (even favor) a simple setup of a couple racks of multi-channel mic pres, a couple of multifaces and my Saw tower (or lunchbox). The only other thing I've ever needed with this setup is a small Mackie mixer to feed my many outputs for monitoring with headphones when I'm remote and live.

The experience has got me thinking about my own eventual setup once I finish "moving in" to my new home.
That's all.
Have a good day, night, afternoon... :)

DanT

Bob L
04-03-2005, 09:21 PM
Glad everything went well.

Keep us informed about your new setup as it comes together.

Bob L

UpTilDawn
04-04-2005, 08:27 PM
Thanks Bob.

everything we tracked this weekend sounds good here at home. musta done something right. :rolleyes:
DanT