PDA

View Full Version : CD Burner Recommendations

Bruce Callaway
05-09-2014, 04:28 PM
My old Plextor CD Burner has died and don't appear to be made any longer. Can anyone recommend a good CD burner for master disks?

Thanks

RobertV
05-09-2014, 07:06 PM
Hi Bruce;

This was discussed before, I was looking for a burner which also did CD-Text , and from recommendations on this forum I finished up bying the following:
MEMOREX Multi Format Blue-Ray Writer - Model MRX-870LE
Beware though, it is a portable USB2 unit, sofar it seems to work fine.

Cheers
RobertV
shinustudios.com

Richard Rupert
05-10-2014, 05:28 AM
I have had good luck with certain Lite-On drives. I've got two of them in my recording computer... unfortunately I'm not in the studio now to check on the model. Mine are 10 years old now anyway, so it's highly likely that they're not making that model any longer anyway. But maybe an e-mail to the company would shed some light... on... drives.

Tim Miskimon
05-10-2014, 04:52 PM
I had a Plextor in my last system which died last month.
The Plextor would not work in the new system since it was an IDE drive.
I bought a cheap LG CD/DVD burner to get me going but I was wondering who's making a burner compared to the Plextor quality wise - anybody?
I need it for burning masters for dupe plants when needed.
I also miss using the error checking program that came with the Plextor drive.

Bruce Callaway
05-11-2014, 01:25 AM
Thanks Robert & Richard. I have the same situation Tim.

Cheers

TotalSonic
05-11-2014, 10:11 AM
I made a point of buying some extra Plextools compatible Plextor drives soon after they were discontinued - but in answer to the question - no, as far as I know no one is making CD burners as good as those right now because optical disc is essentially a technology that is getting phased out and for which development has for the most part stopped (with the possible exception of Blu-Ray, which I don't think will have much legs against streaming HD video on demand either going into the future).

You can still find refurbished Plextor drives at http://www.esaitech.com -
the models that were compatible with Plextools error checking were the
Premium
Premium 2

Otherwise I have also heard some good things about recent Lite-On drives - but I don't have direct experience with them.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Bruce Callaway
05-11-2014, 01:54 PM
FWIW, I found a Plextor PX891SAW on Ebay at a resonable price and have bought that.

Tim Miskimon
05-11-2014, 06:33 PM
I made a point of buying some extra Plextools compatible Plextor drives soon after they were discontinued - but in answer to the question - no, as far as I know no one is making CD burners as good as those right now because optical disc is essentially a technology that is getting phased out and for which development has for the most part stopped (with the possible exception of Blu-Ray, which I don't think will have much legs against streaming HD video on demand either going into the future).

You can still find refurbished Plextor drives at http://www.esaitech.com -
the models that were compatible with Plextools error checking were the
Premium
Premium 2

Otherwise I have also heard some good things about recent Lite-On drives - but I don't have direct experience with them.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Steve are these IDE drives or SATA drives?
The problem I have is that the Plextor I have which is in good working order is an IDE drive.
The new mother boards don't have IDE ports anymore.
It's all SATA & USB 2 & 3 so the IDE drives don't work.
I tried using an IDE to SATA converter but the through put was awful and the drive wouldn't work.

Sound Machine Inc
05-12-2014, 11:24 AM
I use the Plextor PX-891SAW on all the recent pc's I built and for duplicators I built a few months ago

Naturally Digital
05-12-2014, 07:35 PM
I can report success with a Pioneer drive. I've used it for a number of years now. The discs I burn on it consistently produce low error rates in Plextools.

Pioneer drives seem common with duplication suppliers. That's one of the reasons I tried them when the Plextor Premium was phased out.

For example, I would gamble most of the drives on this (http://www.cd-writer.com/catalog/dvdrw-sata-drives-c-180_1100_1102.html) page are decent...

http://www.cd-writer.com/catalog/dvdrw-sata-drives-c-180_1100_1102.html

Carl G.
05-13-2014, 10:35 AM
I use the Plextor PX-891SAW on all the recent pc's I built and for duplicators I built a few months ago

Seems like just a while back we could find good Plextors for few hundred dollars!
Now... less than $50!
Gee... what if food, and fuel prices followed the same trend!

Tim Miskimon
05-13-2014, 02:03 PM
Seems like just a while back we could find good Plextors for few hundred dollars!
Now... less than $50!
Gee... what if food, and fuel prices followed the same trend!

I don't think the demand for food is ever going down to the level of CDs & burners...:D

Carl G.
05-13-2014, 08:21 PM
I don't think the demand for food is ever going down to the level of CDs & burners...:D

yeah... just our sugar and fat intakes should:)