PDA

View Full Version : OT - XP Window Sizes

soundtrack2life
06-21-2004, 04:32 PM
Randomly when I open a folder the window size defaults back to the default XP size window. This drives me nuts. Does this happen to anyone else. It seems to happen on all my XP machines.
Joe

Bob L
06-21-2004, 04:42 PM
Your XP has become Self-Aware... watch out... pretty soon it will start displaying messages when you click to open a file that say...

"Sorry, I don't Feel Like Opening A File Right Now... Maybe Later!"

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
06-22-2004, 03:00 PM
ST2L,

Since getting my system at the beginning of the year, I've had a lot of window sizing issues that sound like what you're saying. Very frustrating.I see it mostly in Outlook 2000 (when opening a new message to send. it immediately takes up a huge part of the screen, and I have to shrink it EVERY TIME) and with Quickbooks, which doesn't want to open to Maximized mode.

Is this anything like what you're seeing? I'd LOVE to hear a solution.

Another problem (which is probably not related): I can't get the View setting in Windows Explorer to stick. 20% of the time I get 'icons' instead of 'details'. I've tried all kinds of Folder Options settings. Nothing works!! :mad:

Bob L
06-22-2004, 03:33 PM
Dave,

With XP Windows Explorer, I have found this as a solution:

Open up an Explporer... setup a single folder the way you like... size the columns, set it to details or whatever... adjust it perfect... then use the Tools Menu/Folder Options and the View tab to select the button that says... Apply To All Folders.

Then, close the Explorer and re-open it. Resize it again, because it will loose the size probably... then close it... the re-open it... finally after a few times of this repetitive action, I guess it gets convinced that you are serious about your settings. :)

It then seems to hold fine for me after that little ritual dance.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
06-22-2004, 08:15 PM
Bob,

There's an article at the MS knowlwege base about this problem. Apparently if you have more than one instance of Explorer open when you try to do the "all folders like this" button, it doesn't work. Their fix is, much like yours, to do it with a single instance open. Though, they don't go into detail about beating it into sumission like you do. :D

I tried your trick and it's not working for me. I'm wondering if my problem could be related to the fact that I have Explorer shortcuts all over the place to take me directly to certain drives or folders. It's almost as if opening an instance via one shortcut and clicking the "all folders like this" button actually forces all other shortcuts' Explorer instances thereafter to rebel and show me 'icon' view of the files instead of the 'details' view that I want! I know I'm talking crazy, but that's what's happening! :mad:

I'd be interested to hear how you're triggerring your Explorer windows to open. Maybe it's some string in my shortcuts?

AudioAstronomer
06-22-2004, 08:38 PM
I trigger windows explorer to open with windows-key+E. The shortcut is very immediate and opens the window in the saved size here on my laptop with folders setup properly.

Bob L
06-22-2004, 11:29 PM
Dave,

Again... I'm for simplicity... I use one desktop icon for Explorer and I always leave this one open on the taskbar... I even set it to restore on bootup (an option in the Tools/Folder Options View tab) because I know I will always be using it.

It is the same one I opened and beat into submission... and it seems to retain the settings.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
06-23-2004, 12:43 PM
Thanks, gents. Maybe I'll try the one icon approach and see if that helps.