PDA

View Full Version : New feature hiccup

Dave Labrecque
03-29-2005, 06:46 PM
Hi Bob,

RE: this new feature...

" The I, R and O Jump To Channel zones have been enhanced to eliminate jumping to blank module sections on the Return and Output channels. Whenever you jump to a different module type, the vertical offset is now adjusted to display the fader section of the module."

Seems that it only works when navigating using the IRO hot zones. Navigating any other way (clicking on a track in the MT, on a channel in a Mixer view, or scrolling in any of these) works as in the past.

Also -- I notice that the new feature defaults to the fader position on the switched-to channel regardless of whether or not there's a common module between the channels. E.g. if I'm looking at the FX module of an input channel and I switch to an output channel, it goes straight to the fader module of the output channel. Would it be tough to have it track to the FX module of the output track in such a scenario?

Tha same could apply to label, assign, and aux modules (return only on the aux). And having it work bi-directionally would be nice. I see the current implementation is not bi-directional, as for output- (or return-) to-input channel navigating.

Bob L
03-30-2005, 02:36 AM
I left the side scrolling alone... in other words it is not doing any vertical adjustment... only the zones have the fader jump to eliminate coming up on a complete blank section of a module.

And, tracking the FX or EQ or whatever across modules is not something I am trying to accomplish... when you jump to a new module type there is no attempt to determine what section of the module you were in and whether or not the new module type has a similar section and what exactly would be the offset difference to compensate for... I really don't feel this all necessary. :)

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
03-30-2005, 09:46 AM
Okay... I guess the least of what I'm saying is that when navigating via these other methods, we still have the "problem" of coming up on a complete blank section of a module.

Bob L
03-30-2005, 10:43 AM
Navigating sideways on the console is good the way it is in my opinion, it allows you to sweep from channel to channel looking at the same console section...

When you sweep over to a new module type... and you happen to be in the middle of the module... big deal... scroll up or down to see what you want to see...

As far as I'm concerned this is not any big problem... in fact its never anything that even caught my attention in the tens of thousands of hours I use SAWStudio to do sessions... it just is... this is the way it works... for now. :)

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
03-30-2005, 02:35 PM
Navigating sideways on the console is good the way it is in my opinion, it allows you to sweep from channel to channel looking at the same console section...
Right. Makes sense to me. But, I understood us to be talking about the Z mixer. That's what the update impacted, if I undertand correctly.

When you sweep over to a new module type... and you happen to be in the middle of the module... big deal... scroll up or down to see what you want to see...
Are you talking about the Z mixer here? The F mixer? Hmmm...

Well, I didn't mean to say it was a big deal. Just that it was a way to improve the workflow. I mean, isn't that why you decided it was worth implementing? You click to a different type of channel and the Z mixer no longer goes to limbo land. I'm just talking about a different click. :) I was just trying to show that there are some navigational approaches that aren't benefitting from the same enhancement. (and it'd be cool if they did)

Bob, I'm thinking maybe I'm not explaining this very well. I just was hoping that the enhancement you made would apply to other methods of navigating (not other mixers) -- besides clicking on the IRO zones.

Don't mean to make a big stink, just get this cool enhancement working consistently. :)