PDA

View Full Version : MT play cursor Jerky - disappears in Win 8

Carl G.
06-30-2014, 06:46 PM
Cursor Jerks zoomed out levels and at regular mid level zooms, completely disappears in Win 8.

Already did Bob's tweaks and suggestions... (I thought I had it working before) but still have the MT Play cursor problems.

**please** advise. (Thanks!)

Asus Z87 Plus, using on board graphics
(now considering graphics card.... because of other video programs)

Bob L
06-30-2014, 09:11 PM
I have a fix for that in the new update... just finishing that up... I had to slow down the cursor updates for the ridiculously kludged Win 8 screen redraws... isn't Win 8 fun !

Bob L

mr_es335
06-30-2014, 09:22 PM
...isn't Win 8 fun !Bob L
...No...

UpTilDawn
06-30-2014, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Bob L View Post

...No...

I thought everybody here is lovin' Win8.... that's the impression I got when I asked. :confused:

Bruce Callaway
07-01-2014, 01:01 AM
Originally Posted by Bob L View Post

I thought everybody here is lovin' Win8.... that's the impression I got when I asked. :confused:All fine for me, I dont have the cursor problem however am using a separate video card, same as XP

Richard Rupert
07-01-2014, 05:49 AM
I have a fix for that in the new update... just finishing that up... I had to slow down the cursor updates for the ridiculously kludged Win 8 screen redraws... isn't Win 8 fun !

Bob L

Wonderful... looking forward to that. Thanks Bob.

bcorkery
07-01-2014, 08:34 AM

Bob LNo, but anticipating an update IS! Thanks Bob. C note(s) at the ready!

PhaseShifter
07-01-2014, 10:06 AM

Bob L

How is it that the other DAWs are able to adapt and refactor their code for the OS changes without slagging Windows in the process or making their users turn off default functionality in order to make their software work properly?

Richard Rupert
07-01-2014, 12:19 PM
Up,
No problems with Windows 8 here. In fact, Windows 8.1.
The only Graphics problem I had using Saw Studio was with the disappearing cursor.

Ditto. SAW (and SAC) are working great on both Win 8 and 8.1, other than the cursor issue in SAW.

UpTilDawn
07-01-2014, 02:24 PM
All fine for me, I dont have the cursor problem however am using a separate video card, same as XP

Yeah, I also had cursor issues in XP for a time years ago. They went away with a different video card..... and maybe an update from Bob once....

I'm just trying to get a feel for the day when I'm forced to dump, or re-assign (to some low-level duty) my trusty XP machines. I don't much appreciate the forced obsolescence of hardware that still works fine. Even with something as basic and (for most) necessary device as a printer, how much trouble would it be to continue to support it with updated drivers for a new OS?....... give me a break, already (rant over.)... :rolleyes:

Bob L
07-01-2014, 04:09 PM
How is it that the other DAWs are able to adapt and refactor their code for the OS changes without slagging Windows in the process or making their users turn off default functionality in order to make their software work properly?

Well... perhaps they are better programmers... or perhaps their code never works properly and it doesn't matter anyway... its all in the eyes (ears) of the beholder isn't it. :)

Bob L

Microstudio
07-01-2014, 04:33 PM

Bob L

I hope that does not effect XP that I will be using for the Retro Build and all the new videos I will be making ;)

mako
07-01-2014, 05:47 PM
I recently went from XP to Win8 and mostly I'm happy with it but I do have trouble with all edl's from pre Win8 install.

They all give the "Trouble Loading Plugin" message. Then, often SAW crashes.

I restart SAW, reload the edl, then delete the plugins and re-install. Some reinstall ok, others not.

Also have screen issue with track names - can only see half the name (horizontally) when altering name field.

Hope others have had these problems and it's not just my system.

Thanks

Grekim
07-01-2014, 05:52 PM
I recently went from XP to Win8 and mostly I'm happy with it but I do have trouble with all edl's from pre Win8 install.

They all give the "Trouble Loading Plugin" message. Then, often SAW crashes.

I restart SAW, reload the edl, then delete the plugins and re-install. Some reinstall ok, others not.

Also have screen issue with track names - can only see half the name (horizontally) when altering name field.

Hope others have had these problems and it's not just my system.

Thanks

Sometimes you need to delete (or temporarily remove) the troublesome vst's from the vst folder inside the SAW folder before you actually start SAW. I made a folder called "unused_vst" for this purpose or when I want a simpler effect list, but don't want to delete them for good.

mako
07-01-2014, 06:05 PM
Thanks Grekim - I'll try that.

cheers

bcorkery
07-01-2014, 06:20 PM
How is it that the other DAWs are able to adapt and refactor their code for the OS changes without slagging Windows in the process or making their users turn off default functionality in order to make their software work properly? I don't like any of those as much as SAW. People who've watched me work are amazed at how fast I can get the job done. I'm willing to make those minor changes.

Bob L
07-01-2014, 06:33 PM
If you can only see half the name in dialogs, sounds like you may have the text size enlarged in the Win 8 display settings options... try setting the scaling adjustment to 100% and that may help... also... make sure you have set the program .exe file or the desktop icon to Win XP SP2 or 3 compatibility by right-clicking the file or icon and using the properties compatibility tab... that will properly take care of border padding.

Bob L

Carl G.
07-02-2014, 03:40 AM
All fine for me, I dont have the cursor problem however am using a separate video card, same as XP

What card do you recommend?

CurtZHP
07-02-2014, 09:45 AM
Well... perhaps they are better programmers... or perhaps their code never works properly and it doesn't matter anyway... its all in the eyes (ears) of the beholder isn't it. :)

Bob L

You mean you DON'T have an entire department of software engineers devoted to making sure the code doesn't collide with whatever Microsoft or Apple says is the way to do things this week???

:eek:

bcorkery
07-02-2014, 09:56 AM
:D:):D

Bruce Callaway
07-02-2014, 02:06 PM
What card do you recommend?
Not sure if I am the right guy to recommend a video card but FWIW, I currently have a Gigabyte (now Radeon) ATI HD5750 Silent Cell video card. If has no fan (silent) and two x Digital Video outputs. If is 3 years old and going strong. Plenty of other choices out there of course....

Jeff Scott
07-02-2014, 06:26 PM
Just loaded SAW onto my work Laptop that runs Win 8.0. I've got the jerky / disappearing Cursor in the MT as well. It's fine if you zoom out but close in it's affected. Don't have any problems with my main XP machine.

Well..if Bob has a fix..that'll be great!

mako
07-02-2014, 07:19 PM
Thanks Stashu - does that mean that 8.1 fixed the problems with 8.0?

Cheers

CurtZHP
07-03-2014, 07:42 AM
So, for those of us who need to move up from Windows XP for other reasons but want to run SAWStudio on the upgraded PC, are we better off going to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1?

I had a Windows 8.1 machine in the engineering shop of the radio station for a day, and just for grins I installed SAWStudioLite on it. Aside from a very simple display tweak, it seemed to work just fine. Granted I was just using the built in sound card and not what I'd normally use, but it worked.

Just wondering if that big a jump in OS is a good idea.

CurtZHP
07-03-2014, 08:24 AM
Actually, the hardware I'm running is relatively new. I built a new machine not that long ago, but I installed XP on it because I already had the license.

I don't really use a lot of plug-ins anyway. I've got SAW Reverb and SAW Levelizer and a few freebies. No VSTi's.

Runaway
07-04-2014, 01:35 AM
Thank God I bought the software from the blokes at AA Translator.
I'm not sure what that means but I'm going to take it as a good thing ;)

Runaway
07-05-2014, 04:40 AM
It means you saved the day. I was able to convert all of the Saw .edls perfectly into my new DAW. Even .edls with plugin problems. Thanks!

Aahhh I see - thanks for the feedback

sebastiandybing
07-06-2014, 11:43 AM
I do still record and live mix (sac) in xp sp3,
but I often end with mix, edit and so in win8.1 with
the blinking cursor and the ekstra cpu load wile linking
sac and saw as the only problem.
I use plugins al the way back to 1996 hyperprism to the newest unvail, melodyne in win8.

Just make sure to right click on the saw ikon and select xp sp3 as window mode.

Sebastian

CurtZHP
07-14-2014, 06:17 AM
Is there a timetable for the update? Not to give you the rush act by any means, Bob. Just curious.

:)

Microstudio
07-14-2014, 08:23 AM
This is 2014, so getting 8.1 is a great idea. I think it's phenominal on a new machine. I wouldn't put it on your existing XP. The reason is, XP desktops and laptops don't have the firepower and expandability of the new machines. I've got 16Gb of RAM and 2 1tb SATA drives. And the processor to make Windows 8.0/1 fly.
I can see why some people hate Wndows 8.0, because they've placed it on an older desktop and drivers and various hardware go nuts. Start with a new computer and the thing flies.
That said, there are still the above issues with Saw. If you can use Bob's suggestion of using Saw in XP, and other fixes to make plugins work, you'll be fine.
The startup time and flow of Windows 8 is incredible. Upgrade away!

You can run all the fast CPU and loads of Ram in Win 7 with no issues. Why is there a need for Win8 in anyway even if you are not using SS? Ok I can see the touchscreen stuff but that's really it IMHO.

DominicPerry
07-14-2014, 10:29 AM
Both updates are coming side by side.

Bob L

Is there a timetable for the update? Not to give you the rush act by any means, Bob. Just curious.

:)

Yes, the timetable was side-by-side with the SAC 3.1 update which happened in Nov 2013.

Dominic

PhaseShifter
07-14-2014, 11:52 AM
Yes, the timetable was side-by-side with the SAC 3.1 update which happened in Nov 2013.

Dominic

So you're saying any day now, yes?

Bob L
07-14-2014, 06:13 PM
The update is up and ready for download.

Enjoy,

Bob L

CurtZHP
07-14-2014, 06:29 PM
"Ask and ye shall receive!"

I'm tellin' ya, folks; you can't put a price on support like this!

:cool:

Mike Bizanovich
07-14-2014, 08:01 PM
Thanks Bob!

Ian Alexander
07-15-2014, 12:48 PM
Any bennies for Win 7 users? I grabbed it anyway, figuring my next machine will be Win 8.

Chris Kress
07-16-2014, 06:07 AM
Any bennies for Win 7 users?

I'd like to know this too. I have my TC powercore which is officially functional up to windows 7 - 64 bit. I feel like I am going to have to go this route. Is there any downside or benefit to windows 7 64 bit? Would anyone be so kind to remind me if 64 bit (not 32bit) is OK for saw in either windows 7 or 8? Thanks.

Grekim
07-16-2014, 06:50 AM
I'd like to know this too. I have my TC powercore which is officially functional up to windows 7 - 64 bit. I feel like I am going to have to go this route. Is there any downside or benefit to windows 7 64 bit? Would anyone be so kind to remind me if 64 bit (not 32bit) is OK for saw in either windows 7 or 8? Thanks.

Running Windows 7 64-bit here with SAW as a 32 bit application. The only issue you may have is using an older PCI card, one of the old RME cards for example, that does not have 64-bit drivers.

Carl G.
07-16-2014, 08:17 AM
The update is up and ready for download.

Enjoy,

Bob L

Thanks Bob!
Not only the cursor... but my long awaited "Left Quarter" centering...
a VAST improvement for live punch-in work on 30-60 second MT time spans.

Again, Thanks!

Richard Rupert
07-17-2014, 10:44 AM
Thanks Bob!
Not only the cursor... but my long awaited "Left Quarter" centering...
a VAST improvement for live punch-in work on 30-60 second MT time spans.

Again, Thanks!

+1