PDA

View Full Version : How to re-direct SAW to audio files

richswit
08-19-2014, 03:06 PM
Had to copy a folder that contained edl and all audio files for that EDL file to a new hard drive. When I open the EDL from the new disk, it can't locate the audio. Isn't there a shortcut to point SAW to where the files are, and not have to do one at a time, as there are a bunch.....????
Thanks,
Rich

CurtZHP
08-19-2014, 03:12 PM
In my experience, when I open the edl, I get a message telling me it can't find the first audio file and presents me with a couple options. Usually, clicking OK while holding the Shift key sends me to a file explorer window. Once there, I find the file and double-click it. Barring the unusual, the program figures out on its own that the rest of the files are in that same spot and loads the edl. Then I save it at once, so I don't have to do that again.

richswit
08-19-2014, 03:15 PM
In my experience, when I open the edl, I get a message telling me it can't find the first audio file and presents me with a couple options. Usually, clicking OK while holding the Shift key sends me to a file explorer window. Once there, I find the file and double-click it. Barring the unusual, the program figures out on its own that the rest of the files are in that same spot and loads the edl. Then I save it at once, so I don't have to do that again.

I wish that were the case....but it keeps asking for every piece of audio...and there are many....I'm sure I've screwed the pooch on this one.

Bob L
08-19-2014, 04:33 PM
If you have kept all the audio files in one folder and simply changed the drive letter, all you need do is click OK on the first warning message and it should automatically repath the rest of the files.

If you actually keep the folder path the same, this should work also. If you have totally changed the path structure... as in adding multiple folders within folders to the path, then you should press the shift-key and click OK... then you will get a file dialog window which you can use to point to the new location where the files reside and it should automatically do the rest of the work for you.

If the original edl was pointing to files litterred all over multiple folders and paths, then you will be asked each time the path changes... again... you should still be able to force the repath of all files.

Or... ignore all the warnings and use the Ctrl-Click OK to open the edl anyway... then take a look at the File View window from the View menu... this will list every file and its path and all files it could not find will have a * next to them in the list... you can then select each file and force a repath to where that file is now... you will want to force all files within an edl into one common folder for that edl... then its very easy to move at any time later.

Bob L

CurtZHP
08-19-2014, 05:54 PM
Rich, just for clarification....

I noticed in your signature line that you have both SSLite and SAW. (I'm assuming an old version...) Which one are we talking about?

richswit
08-20-2014, 12:37 PM
Well, this turned out to be a case of piss poor file management on my part. Even the best recovery scheme isn't gonna locate deleted files, lost files, etc... I linked some files instead of importing them, and God know where they went.....
(Saw Studio Lite, by the way.)
Thanks for trying to help me out!!:)

Rich

Bob L
08-20-2014, 02:41 PM
If you find yourself linking to external common sound effect files or sample files, make sure to use the Library Import function on those files instead of linking to them... the import will actually copy the region data from those files into a new import file that is saved within the edl folder so when you archive or move the edl later, all file data is included and you are no longer dependent on the external linked files.

Bob L

richswit
08-20-2014, 03:04 PM
If you find yourself linking to external common sound effect files or sample files, make sure to use the Library Import function on those files instead of linking to them... the import will actually copy the region data from those files into a new import file that is saved within the edl folder so when you archive or move the edl later, all file data is included and you are no longer dependent on the external linked files.

Bob L

will do....from now on!!

Carl G.
08-22-2014, 12:49 AM

Bob L

*nice* reminder :)
Thanks.