PDA

View Full Version : Waaaaay OT: Audio to Excel & back

bcorkery
10-31-2014, 06:06 PM
OK, here's one for those who live on the fringes!

I'm working with a physicist who's now trying to find a way to converting wav or mp3 to a csv file or other data file of voltage vs. time that can be read by Excel, and then converting back to an audio file. He's having a look at Igor Pro, but doesn't have high hopes for this program.

Is there anybody here who dabbles in that kind of thing?

TIA & Happy Halloween!
-Bill

mr_es335
10-31-2014, 08:06 PM
Bill,

Is there anybody here who dabbles in that kind of thing?

I do a lot of work with Excel. I would not mind having a look-see....

bcorkery
10-31-2014, 10:57 PM
I'll put you in touch with Mr. Felber who's doing the work, probably not until Monday though.

Thank you again!

bcorkery
11-03-2014, 12:21 PM
My physicist friend has found a way do do this using Mathcad.
Mr es335, I've connected him and you via email.

studio-c
11-04-2014, 02:33 PM
I'm going to do music by hand drawing waveforms, then scanning them on a fax machine, and playing them back ;)

Gotta love science folks for trying stuff out! That's how stuff gets invented.

Dave Labrecque
11-05-2014, 07:46 AM
I'm going to do music by hand drawing waveforms, then scanning them on a fax machine, and playing them back ;)

Gotta love science folks for trying stuff out! That's how stuff gets invented.

LOL. :p

Dave Labrecque
11-05-2014, 07:49 AM
From the non sequitur department:

Has it occurred to anyone (besides me) that with digital audio, there are a finite number of 'recordings' that can exist within a certain length of time in a sound file? And an even fewer number of different songs (a small fraction of the former). It's kinda weird to realize. :eek:

Ian Alexander
11-05-2014, 01:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR5Cejq2uyc

Very cool as a proof of concept, but I don't know why they couldn't calculate the distance between grooves closely enough to get the song in tune. :)

Richard Rupert
11-06-2014, 11:22 AM
Very cool as a proof of concept, but I don't know why they couldn't calculate the distance between grooves closely enough to get the song in tune. :)

I thought that too... then wondered if maybe they were varying their speed...

bcorkery
11-07-2014, 08:55 AM
From the non sequitur department:

Has it occurred to anyone (besides me) that with digital audio, there are a finite number of 'recordings' that can exist within a certain length of time in a sound file? And an even fewer number of different songs (a small fraction of the former). It's kinda weird to realize. :eek:NO. :D