PDA

View Full Version : IK Multimedia to demonstrate Android app...

Jeff Scott
01-07-2015, 07:31 AM
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=5235

IK Multimedia is claiming 2ms Round trip latency for Android devices. Debuting at NAMM 2015 in a few weeks...

Would this allow for a SAW / Android mobile recording app?

cgrafx
01-07-2015, 09:39 AM
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=5235

IK Multimedia is claiming 2ms Round trip latency for Android devices. Debuting at NAMM 2015 in a few weeks...

Would this allow for a SAW / Android mobile recording app?

No, SAW doesn't run on Android.

Jeff Scott
01-07-2015, 02:10 PM
I realize that....however....perhaps this might open the way for future development of an Android App?

Butch Bos
01-07-2015, 05:07 PM
Would you really want to mix and edit on a 7 inch screen:eek:
Your eyes must be way better than mine:D

Butch

cgrafx
01-07-2015, 06:16 PM
I realize that....however....perhaps this might open the way for future development of an Android App?

I'm pretty sure that at the present time no android device has the necessary horse-power needed to make this effective and it would require a complete re-writing of the existing code.

I'm pretty sure the IK multi-media solution is an external box, with most of the real work being done outside the Android device.

This is also how most if not all of the iPad solutions work as well. The iPad is nothing more than a fancy controller and does not process any of the audio.

Dave Labrecque
01-08-2015, 10:26 AM
I'm pretty sure that at the present time no android device has the necessary horse-power needed to make this effective and it would require a complete re-writing of the existing code.

I'm pretty sure the IK multi-media solution is an external box, with most of the real work being done outside the Android device.

This is also how most if not all of the iPad solutions work as well. The iPad is nothing more than a fancy controller and does not process any of the audio.

But if you're lucky, you can use the iPad's internal mic and ADC. ;)

Jeff Scott
01-08-2015, 12:17 PM
I'm not an Apple guy....No Mac/ iPhone/iPad/ or iPod...;)

Despite their flaws...I like the workflow of Windows and Android environments.

RBIngraham
01-08-2015, 03:32 PM
I think what I like most about this is that the title states zero latency (obvious nonsense), the first paragraph brings that down to "near zero latency" and then near the end of the article is states about 2ms round trip, which is obviously about average for many digital audio hardware devices these days.

RBIngraham
01-08-2015, 03:35 PM

That's an interesting statement. Care to elaborate?

While I'm sure the external box handles all the audio conversion, that is pretty typical of audio devices on every platform which has pro and MI level audio interfaces available.

I suspect the iPad or other tablet CPUs are doing plenty of the work and certainly all the I/O and storage handling is being done by the native device and OS. Lets not forget that the CPU power in a typical tablet these days is the same as the screaming desktop CPU from not all that long ago.

Craig Allen
01-08-2015, 04:28 PM
That's an interesting statement. Care to elaborate?

While I'm sure the external box handles all the audio conversion, that is pretty typical of audio devices on every platform which has pro and MI level audio interfaces available.

I suspect the iPad or other tablet CPUs are doing plenty of the work and certainly all the I/O and storage handling is being done by the native device and OS. Lets not forget that the CPU power in a typical tablet these days is the same as the screaming desktop CPU from not all that long ago.

Think retro build...

RBIngraham
01-09-2015, 07:35 AM
Think retro build...

Yeah it's kind of like a slow PIV without the heat, or the weight or the case.....

:rolleyes:

cgrafx
01-27-2015, 05:18 PM
So here is the skinny on the interface.

iRig UA’s on-board digital signal processor works in conjunction with AmpliTube UA, a special version of IK’s powerful guitar and bass multi-effects processor designed specifically for use with iRig UA — because all of the processing is handled on iRig UA, and not on the Android device, it’s able to provide consistent near-zero latency performance (down to 2 ms round-trip total latency) that’s independent of the make and model of your connected smartphone or tablet.

All processing is done on a dedicated DSP chip in the interface, not on the android device.

Again, there isn't anywhere near enough processing power or buss architecture needed to support real-time audio processing on current mobile phone devices.

RBIngraham
01-27-2015, 11:17 PM
So here is the skinny on the interface.

iRig UA’s on-board digital signal processor works in conjunction with AmpliTube UA, a special version of IK’s powerful guitar and bass multi-effects processor designed specifically for use with iRig UA — because all of the processing is handled on iRig UA, and not on the Android device, it’s able to provide consistent near-zero latency performance (down to 2 ms round-trip total latency) that’s independent of the make and model of your connected smartphone or tablet.

All processing is done on a dedicated DSP chip in the interface, not on the android device.

Again, there isn't anywhere near enough processing power or buss architecture needed to support real-time audio processing on current mobile phone devices.

Yeah OK, I see what you're saying. But this is just one example. There are plenty of other apps out there that do not require any special hardware to operate. Granted most of those I've seen are probably iPad only, which from what I've read the iOS is much more audio friendly than Android. But if you read the NAMM reports, there was a lot of stuff popping up for Android. It will probably change, albeit slowly.

I guess what I would say is that I've seen DAW like recording applications that were pretty sophisticated for a tablet running on iOS. And they don't require any hardware to operate, other than the tablet itself. Of course if you want to record audio into the tablet you need some hardware, but that is what class compliant audio interfaces are for. There are plenty of soft synths and tools that do maybe 4 or 8 tracks of basic DAW functions. To me that's processing something and they seemed to be doing it in fairly realtime. Obviously that world "realtime" gets thrown around a hell of a lot with very little regard for what it really should mean. But if you want to be strict about it, neither Windows nor OSX is truly "realtime" either.

I would also say that at least in my mind I wasn't thinking of what my phone can do. I'm only really thinking about tablets. That probably just shows how out of it I am.

Anyway, I still think there is more processing power than most folks think there is. It might not be optimized for this kind of thing yet, but the potential is certainly there. Certainly the CPUs in a modern tablet are a hell of a lot more powerful than my first DAW was. :)

cgrafx
01-28-2015, 12:32 AM
Anyway, I still think there is more processing power than most folks think there is. It might not be optimized for this kind of thing yet, but the potential is certainly there. Certainly the CPUs in a modern tablet are a hell of a lot more powerful than my first DAW was. :)

There is a lot of processing power in a modern tablet, but its not all centered around the CPU. There is dedicated hardware for things like H264 decoding in order to handle video, along with other dedicated video hardware.

Unfortunately unless you get to a device with some sort of high-speed buss access (card bus, thunderbolt, etc), your going to have limits to the amount of data that can be processed by the device (functionally limited by the I/O interface bandwidth).

I have no doubt that we will see some of these issues addressed in future devices, but we're not quite there yet.

On the other hand, the shear number of new digital semi-pro/pro audio products is something to behold. Lots of new stuff at NAMM and we really are only just starting to see the flood gates open.