PDA

View Full Version : Collab'ing with SAW...

Alan Lastufka
04-02-2005, 03:56 PM
What is the proper saving function for saving out a project into a new folder with all its connected media so it can be opened on a computer that's a couple states away?

I tried the RePath option - but that didn't seem to work - unless I'm doing something wrong. Any help appretiated.

MMP
04-02-2005, 05:05 PM
Use Save & Trim. This will save just the used audio with handles you specify into a new folder with an associated EDL.

MM

Veit Kenner
04-02-2005, 05:09 PM
so it can be opened on a computer that's a couple states away?.
Alan,

is the other computer a SAW system or something else?

Veit

Alan Lastufka
04-02-2005, 05:34 PM
The other system is a SAW system as well - but I believe Saw Studio Full - I'm on Basic - didn't think that would be a conflict - but worth mentioning.

I will try the trim option the next time I have a project to send.

Mitch
04-02-2005, 05:41 PM
...does the Save & Trim create a SINGLE wav file out of a track with 20 punch-in's, all saved as separate wavs ?

MMP
04-02-2005, 06:16 PM
While it may put them all into the same file, it will not be identical to a track in the Saw multitrack view. It would be all the data needed in the EDL, but the EDL would still be needed to play back the packed regions correctly.

Make sense?

MM

Bob L
04-02-2005, 09:49 PM
You can also use the Extract Session command to build a complete new session with its own data files into a new folder... this extracts the marked area of the MT... so you can use it to duplicate the whole session, or extract a portion of a longer session. It was designed for breaking apart a long live recording into separate songs after the data was captured.

Bob L

Veit Kenner
04-02-2005, 11:23 PM
The other system is a SAW system as well
Good to hear :-)

In that case the others gave you all the info you need. "Save and Trim" or "Extract" is the key.

I was asking in case you wanted to transfer to a different program. There are several other ways to get that done. Some require additional software, though.

Best regards,

Veit

UpTilDawn
04-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Bob L: You can also use the Extract Session command to build a complete new session with its own data files into a new folder... It was designed for breaking apart a long live recording into separate songs after the data was captured.

And a simply wonderful and elegant solution it is Bob.

I would just mention (maybe) the obvious:

To maximize the completeness of your session transfer, you would also want to include any mix and record templates that go with the project (if any were created for it). You would also want to make sure that any and all FX you are using have duplicates at the other end.... and you should include any presets you saved for this project, maybe even going so far as to create presets for any default settings you may have changed in these FX and sending them as well, putting the preset files in clearly labled folders as you go.

Any FX you may have been using that are no longer needed should be cleared out of the session (not just bypassed) before you do the extract or save and trim.

Most likely, the other end won't have the same drive and file path designations as you, so it would be wise to make sure they understand that they will need to redirect saw to the session files and load any of the template and FX preset files you include before everything will work correctly. Once they save the session with everything in its proper place, it should be identical to your original and should give them no further issues.

Check with Bob about the compatability between the two programs too if you should need to have the project returned to you for further work... There would be things to consider for certain going from SawFull to SawBasic.

DanT

Bob L
04-04-2005, 08:26 PM
The compatibility between Basic, Lite and Full edls is such that the lowest common denominator is in effect...

So, a Basic session can always go up to Lite or Full, but a higher level version must maintain its features in the lowest form that the lower version can handle... going from Full to Basic... fine... as long as all audio is on the first layer and within the first 24 tracks, and 8 output tracks.

Anything on higher track or layer numbers will be discarded when the session is opened in Basic.

Bob L

Alan Lastufka
04-04-2005, 09:13 PM
Thanks guys - the collab is with Robert and so far (other than a few error messages telling me I don't have the Levelizer) things have been cool. :)