PDA

View Full Version : Hard Crash - HELP!

Craig Allen
04-02-2005, 05:50 PM
Tonight I was playing with MWS and loading a lot of VSTi's. I got an error message that said I was low on memory and I should turn on the paging file when I added my 8th or so VSTi (I have virtual memory disabled and 1 Gig of RAM). I clicked out of the error and then went to update the edl, because it had been a while. While it was saving, SAW completely disappeared and was gone. I ran SAW again and it came up, but I cannot load the edl anymore - it crashes SAW hard every time I try (I get the SAWStudio.exe has generated an error and is going to be shut down message). I tried rebooting just to make sure it wasn't something hung up in memory, but it didn't work. I figure it was corrupted while saving. Can the edl be saved?? A lot of work has gone into this one. Would EDL Investigator work? Help!

Craig Allen
04-02-2005, 05:59 PM
Never mind - I figured out a way to recover it. I used to recover edl last undo option in the edit menu without an edl loaded and that brought it back. I always thought that option could only be used while in an edl was loaded (I've never had to use it in a situation like this before, so I've never tried). Anyway, grat feature Bob - thanks!

Craig Allen
04-02-2005, 06:37 PM
BTW, I've had to start using a paging file again because SAW kept on crashing after I ran out of memory. Anybody have suggestions for a min/max size to use? I'm currently using 1500 MB.

Bob L
04-02-2005, 09:45 PM
Just keep the min and max the same.

Bob L

SoundSuite
04-02-2005, 10:22 PM
Craig, try 512MB/512MB for your swap, then 768/768.
Reasoning, you don't want to use it, but are getting 'forced' into it, so you might as well 'use' it.
1/3 to 1/2 of physical RAM is a 'safe' figure for swap file settings. Less is better typically (even down to say 256/256...gotta give Windows some space as it IS going to try to use it at any opportunity once enabled).

Once you start loading in VSTi's, you'll prolly get the typical 'Windows is now out of swap file', and makes it larger for you...let it grow to the size you need for the plugs then lock it again. It'll take you a few usages to tweak it.

If possible, keep the swap file on another physical drive than your audio drive.

Man, wouldn't it be nice to start replacing these VSTi's with SAW Native Plugins that do the same thing, but better resource usage, automation support and rock solid ;)
*dreams*

Craig Allen
04-02-2005, 11:17 PM
Thanks, Jon - I'll try 256.

Man, wouldn't it be nice to start replacing these VSTi's with SAW Native Plugins that do the same thing, but better resource usage, automation support and rock solid You know, I've been thinking the same thing. Bob, does Studio's API allow for instruments?

Bob L
04-03-2005, 12:13 AM
No, the current API has no design provisions for instruments... it was kept lean and clean for the performance.... I figured since the VST synth protocol is so widely accepted, there was no need for doing the synth functions.

Bob L