PDA

View Full Version : Learn SawStudio the new site!

Microstudio
02-22-2015, 01:01 PM
http://learnsawstudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/learnsawstudiologo.jpg (http://www.learnstudio.com)

Just want to let everyone know I have been working on converting the old TheSSvideos.com site over to the new LearnSawStudio.com (http://www.learnstudio.com) site. In the coming weeks the old site will be put to rest and the new one will take us forward.

All the Tutorials are in place at the new site along with the Shades accept for the plugin stuff which I will be doing next. Also have to work on the plugins pages which should be cool.

The new site is totally responsive and works great on your smart phone, tablet..ect.

Once the site is done here shortly I should be able to start making some new tutorials because seeing is believing:cool:

Bookmark us, stop by and let me know what you think, if you have any ideas let me know and don't forget our Facebook, youtube and Google+ pages.

Rock on!

PhaseShifter
02-22-2015, 08:10 PM
That looks just like the http://www.learnreason.com/ logo.

http://www.learnreason.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/cropped-lr3001001.png

Microstudio
02-23-2015, 06:49 AM
So what do you think about the new site? I have helping people learn SAW for almost 10 years and it was time to give it a modern site after all SAW has been around longer then most right.

Tim Miskimon
02-23-2015, 05:14 PM
Thank you for all the effort.
Makes learning Saw a lot more fun than reading the manual...:)

Grekim
02-23-2015, 06:30 PM
Cool stuff. There's a link to a 2009 SAC review. Is there a relatively recent or even an extra good old review of SAW somewhere? I'd like to be able to have something I could send to a client who hasn't heard of SAW.

Microstudio
02-23-2015, 07:08 PM
Cool stuff. There's a link to a 2009 SAC review. Is there a relatively recent or even an extra good old review of SAW somewhere? I'd like to be able to have something I could send to a client who hasn't heard of SAW.

Tell them to goto the site there is not better place that has so many videos all easy to find and tons of shades to look at to give them an idea what all SAW/MWS can do. There really are no reviews that are recent.

mojogil
02-23-2015, 07:43 PM
Can you just copy someone's logo like that?

AudioAstronomer
02-23-2015, 09:42 PM
Can you just copy someone's logo like that?

The website is the same, the person posting on LearnReason is named Matt...

I think that it's probably the same person making both websites. :cool:

mr_es335
02-23-2015, 11:46 PM
Hello,

Both sites are managed by MediaSVI - which is TotalSonic!!

AudioAstronomer
02-24-2015, 12:06 AM
Hello,

Both sites are managed by MediaSVI - which is TotalSonic!!

Uh? I don't think so? It appears to be Microstudio.

Microstudio
02-24-2015, 06:29 AM
Guys I run both sites but this thread is not about that it is about the new LearnSawStudio site. I have been running the old Thessvideos site for almost 10 years helping people learn SAW/MWS and I wanted to rename the site so it would be easier to find and more about what the site is. It takes a hell of a lot of time to do these things and I do it all by myself in my spare time...why?

Because I think SAW deserves a place on the web that matches and looks as good as the rest simple as that.

So what do you think of it, theres still more work to do on it but all the videos have been moved over and almost all the shades.

mr_es335
02-24-2015, 08:13 AM
AudioAstronomer

Uh? I don't think so? It appears to be Microstudio....you are correct!

mr_es335
02-24-2015, 08:58 AM
Microstudio,

So what do you think of it......May I ask what you used to create the site?

PhaseShifter
02-24-2015, 09:57 AM
Microstudio,
...May I ask what you used to create the site?

It's just a wordpress site with a 3rd party theme.

Carl G.
02-24-2015, 11:46 PM
http://learnsawstudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/learnsawstudiologo.jpg

Just want to let everyone know I have been working on converting the old TheSSvideos.com site over to the new LearnSawStudio.com site. In the coming weeks the old site will be put to rest and the new one will take us forward.
Rock on!

Matt, For ALL that work you have into it... you'd think you'd make a simple quick link to it (either via the logo or the actual URL supplied) :)
... but OK... I'll laboriously cut and past the URL into my browser.

So which software do you like the best?

mr_es335
02-25-2015, 12:00 AM
Carl,

...but OK...I'll laboriously cut and past the URL into my browser....I thought the link was in Matt's sig?

Microstudio
02-25-2015, 07:37 AM
Sorry for not adding links in my first post but my Sig does have the link in it. I also update the first post to have links into..Carl

Again though this thread is about the new site that I am working on, does anyone have any suggestions, opinions on the new site they are welcome.

mr_es335
02-25-2015, 08:33 AM
Matt,

May I again ask what you used to create the site?

Carl G.
02-25-2015, 04:23 PM
Carl,
...I thought the link was in Matt's sig?

right... I now 'think' so too. :)

Microstudio
02-25-2015, 09:08 PM
Ok things look to be going well now.

AudioAstronomer
02-25-2015, 10:43 PM
Woah, I'm so confused. :eek:

IraSeigel
02-26-2015, 01:14 AM
Whew! Me too!! I just want things to go back to the way they were before.

Cary B. Cornett
02-26-2015, 05:53 AM
I don't understand the request to delete this thread. I think using the "LearnSawStudio" title is a great idea, makes it easy to find, right? And as for similarity of logo to that for another site made by the same guy, why not? And if he wants to come up with sites like LearnProTools, LearnNuendo, LearnSonar, LearnWhatever, that's fine with me, too. And I bet Bob would agree with that.

jcgriggs
02-26-2015, 07:36 AM
Micro: I hope you change your mind - I've found your videos to be very useful in the past and I plan to check out the new site as soon as I get a chance (hopefully this weekend) You seem to be a very enthusiastic individual and that will always rub some smaller minded folks the wrong way - just remember that that it is their problem - not yours.

Best of luck with however you decide to proceed.

Cheerz,
John

Tim Miskimon
02-26-2015, 07:44 AM
I don't understand the request to delete this thread. I think using the "LearnSawStudio" title is a great idea, makes it easy to find, right? And as for similarity of logo to that for another site made by the same guy, why not? And if he wants to come up with sites like LearnProTools, LearnNuendo, LearnSonar, LearnWhatever, that's fine with me, too. And I bet Bob would agree with that.

I agree Cary.
I can't quite figure out what happened here....:confused:.
Micro - there is always going to be somebody that will criticize - if Bob worried about that SAWSTUDIO would have never happened.
There are enough here that think your work is good so you need to soldier on and forget about your critics.
Opinions are like A$$holes - everybody has one.

Philippe M
02-26-2015, 10:42 AM
The first thing I did when I downloaded SAWStudio demo was to change its shade. I went to www.thessvideos.com (http://www.thessvideos.com) and uploaded all the shades you had put at our disposal. I tested all of them and chose the one who suited me the most: Alan Lastufka's HooLooVoo shade, so classy! I also watched all your tutorials videos and found them very educational; that is why I decided to buy The SS Videos Application: 52 videos for only $10.00!!! So cool...
Regarding your new website, I like the shades you added to SAWStudio's logo! The look of the site stays sober: I visit it regularly to see the changes you make. I was really sad when I learned that you could'nt have finished ProShade (in four different colours!!)... Maybe some day... But I can figure how long it is to create and do things, when you have a job, a family, etc... and when you do it all by yourself.:o
Therefore, hurray and long life to learnsawstudio.com!!!
Thank you very much for the hard work you (did) do to help people like me to improve their workflow with Bob's creations!

AudioAstronomer
02-26-2015, 10:45 AM
I agree Cary.
I can't quite figure out what happened here....:confused:.
Micro - there is always going to be somebody that will criticize - if Bob worried about that SAWSTUDIO would have never happened.
There are enough here that think your work is good so you need to soldier on and forget about your critics.
Opinions are like A$$holes - everybody has one.

I don't even see anyone being negative here... and even if there was, he specifically asked for feedback.

This feels like a 'Does this dress make me look fat?" thread. :p

Jeff Scott
02-26-2015, 10:59 AM
I've learned a LOT from the video's Micro posted. Please keep them going.

Microstudio
02-26-2015, 11:34 AM
I am just done with this thread. The topic is the new site not my other sites, I was hoping for some input, ideas, opinions on the new site and not to be talking about my others as that is not right IMHO and I will not do that.

mr_es335
02-26-2015, 03:51 PM
Microstudio

...I was hoping for some input, ideas, opinions on the new site and not to be talking about my others as that is not right IMHO and I will not do that....OK!

1. On the effects page (http://learnsawstudio.com/effects/) there is an article entitled, "The Truth about Recording" which, then takes you to the Learn Reason site. In all honesty, I prefer the looks and the layout of that site.
2. I know it probably just "me" - but I find the new site just a bit too busy and therefore, just a bit more difficult to navigate.
3. When a link within a page takes you to another site, I prefer it that when it opens the new site - it does so in a new window and leaves the parent site still open.
• For example, the Community link which takes you to Google+ Forum - I wish that this would open up in a new window. I hope that this makes sense.
4. Other than these points, I am glad that you are continuing the work - and much to the chagrin of others.

Thank you so very much for your continued efforts.

Dave Labrecque
02-26-2015, 04:20 PM
Micro,

I'm having some real struggles with the site.

The Effects section has menu items like Install Effects, IQS, VST. But they don't take you anywhere relevant to these headings.

Then there's the Shades menu heading. When I click on the sub-heading 'SAWStudio Shades', I'm taken to a page that says I can scroll through the different shades, but I see no way to do that. Same deal with the MWS shades section.

The whole thing seems setup on WordPress -- an interface I've always been confused by. And this site seems consistent with that experience. All the pages seem heavy on text and light on ease-of-use. Oh, and it's like every page is a blog page looking for people to leave comments. Huh?

Sorry, but you asked. :o

Wink0r
02-26-2015, 05:44 PM
I prefer it that when it opens the new site - it does so in a new window and leaves the parent site still open.

In web design/development it has long been considered best practice to allow the user to decide when to open a link in a new tab/window. I long ago got into the habit of opening links through the right click context menu allowing me to make that choice. Under the HTML 4.01 Strict doc type the 'target_blank' link attribute to force a new window/tab was depreciated and would throw a validation error. I think that this has been relaxed under HTML 5 (the current standard and the doc type used in this theme) but most web developers are in the habit of not forcing the new window/tab. As I recall the newer versions of WordPress even include an 'open link in new window' checkbox in the link dialog.

IraSeigel
02-26-2015, 07:47 PM
Micro,

Yeah, he asked, but..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wtpOtFIEkbs

Microstudio
02-27-2015, 07:48 AM
Microstudio
...OK!

1. On the effects page (http://learnsawstudio.com/effects/) there is an article entitled, "The Truth about Recording" which, then takes you to the Learn Reason site. In all honesty, I prefer the looks and the layout of that site.
2. I know it probably just "me" - but I find the new site just a bit too busy and therefore, just a bit more difficult to navigate.
3. When a link within a page takes you to another site, I prefer it that when it opens the new site - it does so in a new window and leaves the parent site still open.
• For example, the Community link which takes you to Google+ Forum - I wish that this would open up in a new window. I hope that this makes sense.
4. Other than these points, I am glad that you are continuing the work - and much to the chagrin of others.

Thank you so very much for your continued efforts.

Thanks, I have disabled comment as there is some conflict going on there. I will update the site to open other sites to open into a new window, I totally forgot about this. These are comments I was hoping for as I am only one :)

Microstudio
02-27-2015, 07:57 AM
Micro,

The Effects section has menu items like Install Effects, IQS, VST. But they don't take you anywhere relevant to these headings.

Then there's the Shades menu heading. When I click on the sub-heading 'SAWStudio Shades', I'm taken to a page that says I can scroll through the different shades, but I see no way to do that. Same deal with the MWS shades section.

The whole thing seems setup on WordPress -- an interface I've always been confused by. And this site seems consistent with that experience. All the pages seem heavy on text and light on ease-of-use. Oh, and it's like every page is a blog page looking for people to leave comments. Huh?

If you go to a shade page it will automatically scroll or you can click or hold your mouse over the choices and a scroll button will appear. I did it this way to make it easier to look at all the shades in one place and not have to scroll and scroll. I work very nice on mobile devices to.

I have not got to the effect pages yet, I will soon though. Also the side menus are not in there final look, there mainly place holders right know as I build all the pages. Remember I am still working on everything. Thanks.

mr_es335
02-27-2015, 08:36 AM
Microstudio,

Some other points, on the Shades page:

1. The auto-scroll section (on the right) does not seem to match what is shown in the display section (on the left). However, if you select the middle scroll item - then things do "match up".

2. The text, "You can scroll through all the shades and if you see one you like click on it and it will take you to that shades page where you can learn more about it and download it." - could be made a little clearer. For example:

"As you can see, this display is divided into two parts, the main display on the left and the auto-scroll display on the right. Placing the mouse pointer over the main display shows a tool tip - providing the name of the currently displayed shade. Placing the mouse pointer over the auto-scroll display shows a scroll arrow - allowing you to scroll through the various shades available. Selecting one of the shade in the auto-scroll display - will display the currently selected shade. Selecting the shade in the main display will then take you to a new window - providing you with more detailed information on the selected shade as well as being able to download the selected shade."

3. I still find this page a bit "clumsy" to navigate and to use, however.

Hope this helps?

Dave Labrecque
02-27-2015, 11:03 AM
If you go to a shade page it will automatically scroll or you can click or hold your mouse over the choices and a scroll button will appear. I did it this way to make it easier to look at all the shades in one place and not have to scroll and scroll. I work very nice on mobile devices to.

OK, well that stuff was not at all obvious to me. I'd suggest some kind of clear explanation on the page -- or functionality that is more self-evident.

I have not got to the effect pages yet, I will soon though. Also the side menus are not in there final look, there mainly place holders right know as I build all the pages. Remember I am still working on everything. Thanks.

And the comments fields and functionality? What's that about?

Microstudio
02-27-2015, 03:20 PM
Microstudio,

Some other points, on the Shades page:

1. The auto-scroll section (on the right) does not seem to match what is shown in the display section (on the left). However, if you select the middle scroll item - then things do "match up".

2. The text, "You can scroll through all the shades and if you see one you like click on it and it will take you to that shades page where you can learn more about it and download it." - could be made a little clearer. For example:

"As you can see, this display is divided into two parts, the main display on the left and the auto-scroll display on the right. Placing the mouse pointer over the main display shows a tool tip - providing the name of the currently displayed shade. Placing the mouse pointer over the auto-scroll display shows a scroll arrow - allowing you to scroll through the various shades available. Selecting one of the shade in the auto-scroll display - will display the currently selected shade. Selecting the shade in the main display will then take you to a new window - providing you with more detailed information on the selected shade as well as being able to download the selected shade."

3. I still find this page a bit "clumsy" to navigate and to use, however.

Hope this helps?

The scrolling items match perfectly to the one you click on it is then put in the left image spot which gives you a better view. From there you then can just click on it to goto that page. This is a very common display that has been used for years. It's actually very easy figure out ;)

I will have more time to work on the site next week thanks for your insight.

Microstudio
02-27-2015, 03:25 PM
OK, well that stuff was not at all obvious to me. I'd suggest some kind of clear explanation on the page -- or functionality that is more self-evident.

And the comments fields and functionality? What's that about?

I am sorry you did not find it easy but I am sure you figured it out right and then maybe found it to be efficient or am I reaching here?

The comments are turned off at the moment until I figure out an issue with it. I want this site to have comments as it is about learning so if people have a question I or someone can answer them.

Dave Labrecque
02-27-2015, 08:29 PM
I am sorry you did not find it easy but I am sure you figured it out right and then maybe found it to be efficient or am I reaching here?

In my case you're reaching. :) I didn't figure it out till I read your instructions, here. IMO, a website should be second-nature for the user, not a puzzle. ;)

The comments are turned off at the moment until I figure out an issue with it. I want this site to have comments as it is about learning so if people have a question I or someone can answer them.

OK, well I always find it annoying when a WordPress template is used for an otherwise-purposed website. I find it confusing to mix the two functions (tutorials and discussion), especially when it's not made clear that the discussion part is intentional, relevant, and functional. It always feels like the webmaster was just lazy or didn't know how to do anything but throw up a generic template.

I know you're much more skilled than that. But only cuz I've seen you around here for years. ;)

I think for any website to be successful, you have to make it super clear and user-friendly for whoever might happen by.

Microstudio
03-08-2015, 09:23 PM
I will be working on the site this week. Any requests will be listened to for sure.