PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on the Acoustic Guitar?

Microstudio
03-04-2015, 09:27 AM
I have long thought that the Acoustic Guitar (AGT) is the greatest instrument of all time for it's many helpful ways of building strumming ability and technic, finger strength, finger guitar calluses, finger stretching, note control and many others.

Also the AGT needs no electricity and can sound wonderful and it's very mobile.

What do you think and when was the last time you played your AGT?

mr_es335
03-04-2015, 09:56 AM
Microstudio,

What do you think and when was the last time you played your AGT?I play mine regularly...and I hope that you are including both nylon and steel strung guitars.

In fact, I built my present New SAC Rig (http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17759) - primarily for use with guitars

Personally, of the three main types of guitars, nylon, steel and electric - all of which I own and play regularly, I believe that the nylon is by far the most versatile. As an instructor of guitar, I have written my own 478 page lesson manual (See here for more info... (http://www.sentinelmusicstudios.com/about.html)), and I do recommend to all of my perspective students that they start with a nylon strung guitar. The following is an article I wrote entitled Finding the Best Guitar (http://www.sentinelmusicstudios.com/misc/Finding_the_Best_Guitar.pdf) - and provides seven reasons why I believe a nylon-strung guitar to be the best first choice.

Also, I do not advocate the development or the use of calluses - and I did research this topic quite in-depth. Some of my findings can be gleaned here: Calluses (http://www.sentinelmusicstudios.com/misc/Calluses.pdf) - of which you might find useful.

For both of my acoustics, I use internal mics from MiniFlex2Mic (http://www.miniflexmic.com) - and in particular the Model 1, the Model 5 and the Model 7 - which is the model I presently use. I have found nothing that compares to both the sound and the quality of these mics and MiniFlex mics are well worth considering. Ken Donnell, the developer and the owner of MiniFlex2Mic - is such a great guy, and everyone there is always so helpful.

Hope you find the above use and thank you Micro for the post.

IraSeigel
03-04-2015, 10:09 AM
The greatest instrument of all time - and the oldest - is the drum. It builds upper body strength, hand/eye coordination and I can go beat the crap out them when I read posts like this.

mr_es335
03-04-2015, 10:44 AM
Ira,

The greatest instrument of all time - and the oldest - is the drum....with the hope that this post does not "go south" as many seem to do in this forum, the oldest instrument is not the drum...but the harp and the flute.

Ira, may I ask what is it specifically about posts such as this that seems to grate on you? I thought that Micro's question was both sincere and interesting.

Craig Allen
03-04-2015, 11:13 AM
The greatest instrument of all time - and the oldest - is the drum. It builds upper body strength, hand/eye coordination and I can go beat the crap out them when I read posts like this.

:D

UpTilDawn
03-04-2015, 11:33 AM
Ira,
...with the hope that this post does not "go south" as many seem to do in this forum, the oldest instrument is not the drum...but the harp and the flute.

Ira, may I ask what is it specifically about posts such as this that seems to grate on you? I thought that Micro's question was both sincere and interesting.

The oldest instrument may be, in fact, the human body......

Dan Hauck
03-04-2015, 12:32 PM
As far as human produced music is concerned I'd go with the human voice in time with the beating of the human heart. Of course, there was music here long before we came along. We're just imitators. Compared with the wind through the trees, we're ditchdiggers. Just dig the best ditch you can and always strive to improve.

IraSeigel
03-04-2015, 02:36 PM
As far as human produced music is concerned I'd go with the human voice in time with the beating of the human heart. Of course, there was music here long before we came along. We're just imitators. Compared with the wind through the trees, we're ditchdiggers. Just dig the best ditch you can and always strive to improve.

What is the definition of music? More specifically, what is the definition of sound? Generally speaking, it's energy in a particular frequency range that can be perceived by human (or other) ears.

So when you say "there was music here long before we came along", how do you know? No eardrums, no music. If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound, Grasshopper?

Ommmmmmmm.......

jmh
03-04-2015, 03:13 PM
>>Also, I do not advocate the development or the use of calluses... ?? ...I've heard this procedure is called practice...

Microstudio
03-05-2015, 08:37 AM
Learning to play my acoustic made it much easier to play the Bass, Electric Guitar, Nylon Guitar and Piano to name a few.

Just know I posted this to see others points of view on this, thanks for taking the time to join in the conversation.

mr_es335
03-05-2015, 08:43 AM
Microstudio,

Learning to play my acoustic made it much easier to play the Bass, Electric Guitar, Nylon Guitar and Piano to name a few....I agree. But I also believe that learning to play any instrument "well" - will assist you in learning to play other instruments well. This is especially true of the piano.