PDA

View Full Version : Midi WorkShop MIDI Device In Driver Is Currently Not Available!

Dave Labrecque
03-08-2015, 11:20 PM
I reinstalled Windows 7, having copied my SAWStudio folder to another drive, then back to the C:\ root after. Whenever I open SAW, I get this. I figured it was because my RME Digiface drivers haven't been reinstalled yet, so I set the MIDI device in and out to "not assigned" and saved preferences. But it didn't help. I even tried doing away with the SAWStudio.prf file, but same deal.

Ideas?

Bob L
03-08-2015, 11:30 PM
Sounds to me like your pref file is not the actual one being used... have you setup some other command line pref file in your desktop icon?

And... copying preferences into a new Win install is not a good idea... clear the prefs... make a new desktop icon and start the program fresh and reset all prefs after your drivers are all in place.

Bob L

mr_es335
03-09-2015, 10:25 AM
Dave,

...copying preferences into a new Win install is not a good idea...Bob L...this has been my experience as well. Follow Bob's instructions and you should be "good-to-go!"

Dave Labrecque
03-09-2015, 12:48 PM
Sounds to me like your pref file is not the actual one being used... have you setup some other command line pref file in your desktop icon?

And... copying preferences into a new Win install is not a good idea... clear the prefs... make a new desktop icon and start the program fresh and reset all prefs after your drivers are all in place.

Bob L

OK. I thought I'd read years ago that the SAW install folder was totally portable. Not so much, I guess.

But wouldn't deleting the SAWStudio PRF file have been the same as clearing the prefs, as you say, Bob?

Well... I cleared the default preferences from within SAW, closed SAW, deleted the desktop and Taskbar shortcuts, then re-launched the program. Same thing. :confused:

I guess I'll try a re-install.

Dave Labrecque
03-09-2015, 01:00 PM
OK. I thought I'd read years ago that the SAW install folder was totally portable. Not so much, I guess.

But wouldn't deleting the SAWStudio PRF file have been the same as clearing the prefs, as you say, Bob?

Well... I cleared the default preferences from within SAW, closed SAW, deleted the desktop and Taskbar shortcuts, then re-launched the program. Same thing. :confused:

I guess I'll try a re-install.

Dang. That didn't help, either. Hmmm...

None of the preferences are sticking now. It's weird. Like I can't save default preferences. :confused:

Bob L
03-09-2015, 06:32 PM
Copying a folder in Win 7 will sometmies set the read only flag for the entire folder... more fun Win 7 stuff... it might have done that, blocking your ability to overwrite the pref file in the SAWStudio folder.

Check that out in the Windows Explorer and see if you can select everything, including the folders and clear the read only flag.

Otherwise, do a fresh install into a new folder and it should be fine.

Bob L

bcorkery
03-09-2015, 06:38 PM
Strange things are afoot at the Circle K!

If you remove and reinstall SAW?
Maybe too obvious.

Bob L
03-09-2015, 08:20 PM
Well... check your settings in SAW... if it is also loading the same midi driver... it loads first before the midi workshop, therefore the midi workshop cannot access the same driver... the new install clears out SAW midi driver settings...

You must make sure only SAW or Midi Workshop is trying to load the same driver.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
03-10-2015, 07:37 PM
Well...

Nothing was working, so I did a completely new install, which worked. Then I started moving old files over from the prior install that I figured would be okay: different presets I had saved and such. And then I got the same prompt! I then discovered that if I moved the MWS-specific files back out of the new-install folder, all was well again. So, one of these (from my old install on the prior Win7 installation) is the guilty party:

Studio_Midi_WorkShop.cnt
Studio_Midi_WorkShop.dll
Studio_Midi_WorkShop.fky
Studio_Midi_WorkShop.gid
Studio_Midi_WorkShop.hlp
Studio_Midi_WorkShop.prf
Studio_Midi_WorkShop_Graphics.dll
Studio_Midi_WorkShop_Info.rtf

Maybe the PRF file? I had had enough and so didn't investigate further, figuring the new MWS install would restore any of this stuff that I needed.

Bob L
03-11-2015, 12:43 AM
Dave,

The prf file is what stores the midi device IDs... these will be different from your old Windows install to your new Windows install.

You need to create the prf file fresh on the new install.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
03-11-2015, 08:22 AM
Dave,

The prf file is what stores the midi device IDs... these will be different from your old Windows install to your new Windows install.

You need to create the prf file fresh on the new install.

Bob L

Aha! So there it is. Live and learn. :o

Thanks for explaining, Bob.